• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Statue Campaign

dek;
the gate way to towns and district is on its way beleive me ; you got the police force forming there own quarters and the goverment is sending millions to different parts of the country andthe doctors and people are forming there own parishes and saying whom can live in there village and the people will make there own judgement of justice we are coming and going american style sooner than you thnkl he schools are coming accademys every think is changing there way but peoplejust cannot see it there was a picture of winson green prison the other week
and they have started to present american style jails with there long gage doors for prison cells nothink you or anybody can say nor do to prevent it happeneng
we are memorised by the yankies ; fare well english tradition ;
best wishes Astonian;;;

It would be nice if local sculptors put in their designs and the winner voted by public vote, not Council who seem to have little idea of what good art is. Just a thought. Eric

In agreeance with Eric,

Local sculptors designs and public votes,, Not keen on the Pen & Knib idea, too much like a Minaret .

It would be nice to see in public,the artwork locked away in Nechells instead of spending more money.

Places like Brown Hills can have its miner but the difficulty in designing a monument to the industry of the "city of a thousand trades" is which one do you pick. It could be anything from a fighter plane to a fountain pen. With that in mind and being one of the minority who liked the Forward sculpture that was burnt down, maybe we should consider another version of that - vandal-proof this time, which represented multiple trades including prostitution. Either that or something like Newcastle's Angel of the North, which encompasses everything or nothing, however you want to imagine it.

I think either they were drilling for oil but hadn't yet attached the drill, or it is a new design of mobile mast

Think it's supposed to be a tree!

Here is one I found a few weeks ago near the W & B Canal (opposite the Cube)

By Cathy Lewis

It would be nice to see some of the great and good of the city's history bought out of storage...George Dawson springs to mind. I suppose these are classed as old fashioned now. :((

It does beg the question then: does B'ham need to commission another statue/monument? Viv.

The one of the guy doing a handstand is pretty good , don't get a lot of modern or concept art think most of it's like the emperors new clothes

Do you mean the diving one near The Cube?

Think it was inspired by the diving at last summers Olympics.

Viewing these pieces of art from a distance, it does seem almost like there are sculptures etc on every street corner (but not saying I dislike them). Do people stop to look at these pieces? Do they try to understand them? And do they have meaning in the sense of Birmingham and it's people? Just trying to work out if more and more statues on the streets has any value. Viv.

I don't think so. I photographed that when the Cube was just a hole in the ground 2008.

Oh ok. I've walked down that bit of the Worcester & Birmingham Canal several times and didn't notice it before I saw it.

See Cathy Lewis art

In 2006 Cathy was commissioned by Charles Church Developments to create a large sculpture for a public site beside the new Registry Office at Holliday Wharf, Birmingham.

Another hidden statue that I found, inside the courtyard of King Edwards Wharf - King Edwards Drive (off Sheepcote Street in Ladywood)

Looks like a Roman Centurion.

Seen through the gates

Hi El: The article in this link explains about the sculptures at King Edwards Wharf. I only heard about Lorenzo Quinn the sculptor who made the figures, about three years ago when his brother Francesco died suddenly at 48 years old in California. Francesco was a well known face on a TV commercial in North America for El Paso Products.
Francesco was an actor and had appeared in a soap opera in America. I was shocked when I found out he had passed away after a run.
Lorenzo and Francesco's father was Anthony Quinn of movie fame. I remember reading at the time Francesco died about his family and that he
was one of five sons of Anthony Quinn and that Lorenzo was a famous sculptor. I happened on the attached article after l had done a bit of looking around about the King Edward's Wharf site. It looks as though the three sculptures were commissioned by the developer of the buildings at King Edward's Wharf. https://www.thefreelibrary.com/Scul...erside+project;+Making+strides:...-a079782618

Last edited:
Thanks for the link JennyAnn.

I only saw this one, so where were the other ones? As I could only see the Roman style one from the other side of the gate.

Couldn,t we have a concrete statue of Herbert Manzoni and those that felt the need, would be able to take a big hammer and knock lumps out of it.

They look good JennyAnn.

Probably, it is near the Oozells Street Loop!
But it is still technically in Ladywood (part of the city centre).

001.jpg001.jpgThese a001.jpgre photos of the sculptor Mr William Bloye that I received from his family, I worked for Mr Bloye in the 1950s John Crump OldBrit. Parker. Colorado USA

Back