• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Speedway, Perry Barr

Peter, speaking of sport and perry barr, what about the dog tracks in brum!! Kings Heath, Hall Green and of course Perry Barr.does anyone remember any greyhounds names from 1940's or later?

Why can't anyone ansewer my Midget Car racing :eek:
I remember the midget car racing at Birmingham Speedway. As you say, it was in the very early 50's. They also had sidecar speedway too. I believe that both came from Australia...
Dave A

Courtesy of my late sisters scrapbook...I have other interesting related items, for those that are interested.
Dave A

Attachments

• Brummies Program 1950.jpg
    Brummies Program 1950.jpg
    981.8 KB · Views: 11
Courtesy of my late sisters scrapbook...I have other interesting related items, for those that are interested.
Dave A
I dont know if you are still on the Forum but I wonder whether your sister even had the programme which showed Ivor Davies presenting a set of pyrex dishes to my mom for the best supporter. Nellie Taylor.

I dont know if you are still on the Forum but I wonder whether your sister even had the programme which showed Ivor Davies presenting a set of pyrex dishes to my mom for the best supporter. Nellie Taylor.
I'm still here...Unfortunately, my sister did not keep the programmes. She would cut out photo's and paste them into the scrapbook. Don't recall her being an Ivor Davies fan, so it's doubtful that he would be a cut & paste. I will take a look and see for sure.
Dave A

I'm still here...Unfortunately, my sister did not keep the programmes. She would cut out photo's and paste them into the scrapbook. Don't recall her being an Ivor Davies fan, so it's doubtful that he would be a cut & paste. I will take a look and see for sure.
Dave A
Thank you thats kind. I suppose it just happened to be him who presented it.

Only just come across this thread and Oh the memories it brings back. Used to go to every home match way back in 46 - 48 when I went to do National Service. Use to go with my first girl friend so heart racing for two reasons.

Thank you thats kind. I suppose it just happened to be him who presented it.
I didn't find what you were looking for, However, I did find a shot of the crowd at Perry Barr. They would put a random picture of the crowd and circle 2 spectators who would receive free tickets for the next meeting. Maybe she is in the crowd, I have another shot somewhere.
Dave AFans of the Brummies.jpg

I didn't find what you were looking for, However, I did find a shot of the crowd at Perry Barr. They would put a random picture of the crowd and circle 2 spectators who would receive free tickets for the next meeting. Maybe she is in the crowd, I have another shot somewhere.
Dave AView attachment 158758
Interesting and this is where I gets sexstist and non woke, how many females there are in that picture. I do remember the days of Graham Warren, Tiger Hart et al, did they have fan clubs. Do you also remember 'ommer em Crodley at Cradley Heath or was this another spoort?

Bob

There don't seem to be a lot of sport contributions on this excellent webring, which doesn't worry me much, because I was never very interested.
But I do remember going to the motor cycle speedway racing at the old Birchfield Harriers stadium, known as the "Alexandra Ground" in Aldridge Road, Perry Barr, I think in 1947 and 1948. Apart from admiration for 'our' captain Tiger Hart frequently winning, but always riding with style and cheerful showmanship, but all competitors seemed well behaved by modern standards. I have some other memories, like the pop and crisps, the very rough terracing on which we stood, but especially the excitement of watching the competitors' perverse attempts to accelarate and steer their bikes on a load of cinders - a dusty skid patch. I also remember noticing that quite a lot of money must have been spent on improving the terracing during the intervening winter.
I don't suppose it ever made a lot of money but it must have been a great financial help for the Harriers Athletics club, who owned and used the property for the rest of the time.
Tiger Hart moved to the Wimbledon club, and later went back home to Australia in retirement. it was only about a year ago his death was announced in the Croydon local paper, as a former Wimbledon sports celebrity. I have a feeling he also rode for Cradley once upon a time.
Peter
I think you may have this all wrong. Phil "Tiger" Hart was English. Born London. He founded an insurance broker business. The family had a home on the island of mallorca for many years. I frequently saw him with his wife in the Meson Del Rei restaurant. I never spoke to him, this I have always regreted.

Back