• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Special Constabulary

S

samcat

Hi there,

Does anyone have any information where I might find details of personnel from Birmingham Special Constabulary in WW1.

I have recently found out my grandfather was in such a force from 1916-1919 and wondered if any records exist.

Samcat

Hi Samcat: Probably your best bet would be to contact the Main Library in Birmingham. They may have records or alternatively the West Midlands Police web site. They have a web site referring to the Special Contstabulary and it's origins, etc. Their web site is https://www.birmingham-csp.org.uk/thepartnership/specialconstables
The West Midland Police link is on this page at the bottom.

There is a WW1 Special Constable badge for Birmingham for sale on eBay also.

Part-time Specials showed they could “hold their place alongside the regular personnel”

Viv
Source: British Newspaper Archive

670A4718-FC83-44CD-B40C-7F345842CD61.jpeg44967068-BB3A-4119-8DCA-9071C91BB6B8.jpeg

Back