• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham South and North

sheri

master brummie
I know someone on the forum can point me in the right direction - what area's are Birmingham South and North please - just a rough direction will do - I only B'ham 32.
Many thanks,
Sheri

Do you want to know what is Birmingham South for local government and police today in which case this is the parliamentary constituencies of Edgbaston, Selly Oak and Northfield. Or are you looking at the old registration districts in which case Birmingham North was the old Birmingham Poor Law Union and Birmingham South was the old Kings Norton Poor Law Union.

Thank you all so much - on some births/marriages I was looking up some of them said Birmingham South and I was unsure where this was - I expect the relatives were in Kings Norton as a lot of them were there way back. I lived close to Woodgate as a girl - I could walk there in a few minutes.
I appreciate your help as my knowledge of Birmingham is very limited unfortunatley.
Sheri

OK Sheri now that we know why you wanted the information I can tell you that before Birmingham was combined into one registration district there were two registation districts. Birmingham North covering the old Birmingham Poor Law Union which was Old Birmingham, Aston and Erdington. Birmingham South covered the Kings Norton Poor Law Union which covered Kings Norton, those parts of Birmingham which used to be in Worcestershire including Selly Oak, Northfield plus Harborne and Smethwick which used to be in Staffordshire. Just to confuse you further, your old district of Quinton came under the Stourbridge Poor Law Union.

To give you an example. Two of my relatives living together died within two weeks of each other in the early 1930s. One died at home in Smethwick and was therefore registered as Birmingham South and the other was taken to Dudley Road Hospital just a mile away and was therefore registered as having died in Birmingham North.

Back