• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Blackham, Maycock and Hayward, Birmingham Solicitors?

sheri

master brummie
I wonder if there is any information about a firm of solicitors called 'Blackham, Maycock and Hayward' - this is the only connection I've found about two of these families and the marriage of my great grandparents.
Thank you for your help,
Sheri

This firm still exists, but they may have now altered their name. I only know of them because the sister of a friend of mine is a solicitor there (or was if he is not now). They were still under this name about ten years ago.

Shortie

Sheri, what exactly did you want to know? I just might be able to help. They appear to be in Sutton now, although I think they were originally in New Street. I can email my friend if there is a specific question.

Shortie

Shortie thank you - I would like to trace them back on census's etc to see where the original connection - I'm sure there is another connection than the one of my gt. grandparents - Henry Blackham married Elizabeth Hayward in 1857 - I would like to get back before that if I can - his father was John
Blackham of whom there are loads. Family story is there was a business and one of Henry's daughters, I thin k Emily born 1830, ran of with the accountant who we think was ?? Hayward. The family never heard of her again. And I've never been ab le to find her although I've looked for years.
Perhaps if I could find a disappeared Hayward I might be ab le to find where they went. One of those mysteries!!!!!
Sheri

I will ask the question and see what happens. I have a feeling that the company split at some time, I can't remember clearly, but I will see if my friends sister (who works for her solicitor husband) knows if the company have a known history that is documented.

Shortie

these soliceters used to be based down the botom of corporation street
just passed the law courts of the old courts haywards was a very popular on in there times during the thirtys up until the late fifties along with blackams
as you down passing the law courts there was a tobbbaconist and there wa a series of red brick tiled offices
there was a load of soliceters in these litte up stars buidings the biggest name and most talked about in he city was morgans
spoked about in more ways than one southalls was another big name ; they orinated from small heath that family born and bred ;
and also today the fabers harry faber ther father had big offices in the city and there was no legal aid inthose days big eners they was big crimes as well ; best wishes astonian

Sheri

I have been told that Paul (the brother in law of my friend) now has his own firm and is not with Blackhams (as it is now called) any more. I have emailed her to see if her sister would know who has the company history.

Sheri,

In the early 1960's Blackham Maycock and Haywards were on the corner of Bennetts Hill and
Colmore Row, - the corner nearer to the Town Hall.

Kind regards

Dave

Hello Astonian, Shortie, Clarkie and Dave 89 - thank you so much for your replies - its very kind of you to take the trouble. I hope you don't mind if I ask another question that is - does anyone know the Christian names of any of the Blackhams or Haywards so I can try and trace them. I will look on the gazette sight when I have got time.
Sheri

Hi Sheri

I have had confirmed what I originally thought, that when solicitors display several names, it is because all the named persons are solicitors, not their marriage partners. The lady I spoke about whose brother in law is a solicitor, now works for himself, but if you wish I can ask her is she knows of the origins. Let me know what you want me to do.

Shortie

Back