• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Society of Artists New Street 1829

Excellent film Wendy. Thanks for posting. Very good to see it recognises the importance of practical art too. And love Southall's 1912 painting of The Old Portico. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1413357887.075490.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I liked that too viv. I never realised women's fashions ever extended to having wings on their hats !. I also liked the one of gallery goers , below

ScreenHunter_5128_Oct__15_12_02.jpg

I thought Southall was poking fun in painting that winged hat Mike. But no. Here's a Paris fashion plate from 1900s .... enough wing power for it to take flight! Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1413388789.318414.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I much preferred it when the ROYAL Birmingham Society of Artists was based in its original location in New Street rather than where it is now by St Pauls square in the Jewelry quarter. It had far more atmosphere. Sold my first painting there way back in the 70's as a member of the Midland Painting Group who were also based there, as was the Easel Club (Oil Painters), also the BWS (Birmingham Water Colour Society). I believe the RBSA leased the building from Birmingham City Council and rented it out to these other societies for their meetings and exhibitions. The word Royal was added due to Queen Victoria's patronage. I was a member of the BWS for 19 years and sold many paintings at this gallery at our twice annual exhibitions I was very fond of the gallery and visited most exhibitions. I think their most noted member would have been the artist David Cox whose easel and palette was still kept there, although the have probably taken them to the Jewelry quarter. which was old factory premises which the RBSA bought and converted to a gallery. Eric

An artist’s impression of the building in 1829. My personal view is it’s position was never really ideal. It seemed you couldn't fully appreciate the scale of the building in New Street, being almost too grand for its position. In time the portico was taken down and eventually the whole building was removed. A great pity. Viv.D9F0D81D-F67A-4C4E-A102-3EF165ECE6E7.jpegSource: British Newspaper Archive

The RBSA building ( even without its portico) always seemed like a building one wasn't entitled to enter when I was younger even though I had a great interest in art and spent lots of time at the Birmingham Art Gallery.

I remember my mom taking me inside and forever after would pop in to see the Exhibitions when I noticed the signs outside.

It is a pity Tinpot didn't get to go inside, I used to love it.

Esecially when I discovered my old Art Master exhibited there and became President for a time.

When we were in art classes CAS* used to seem to spend more time on his work than my meagre stuff ;)

Mr Sawbridge to us was known at the RBSA as Tony Sawbridge, his work always recognisable on the exhibition walls.

Back