• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Small Arms.

mw0njm.

A Brummie Dude
Hello. Please.has anyone got a map of, or know when the bsa had a proof house, and shooting range bsa range.pngbsa range.pngin there grounds. i would appreciate any help.

Last edited:
Hi. I'm not sure what a 'proof house' is but the BSA satellite factory built (presumably) in the 30's in Marshall Lake Rd, Shirley had underground test firing range.
When Lucas bought the place in the mid 60's it was on right hand side of the factory when viewed from the road. It consisted of a small brick building inside which were two long tubes & an area in front for mounting small arms. These tubes ran parallel to the factory for per perhaps 150m finishing in another brick building where the targets were placed. The area was covered in soil & you had to go up concrete steps to get to over to the car park on the other side.
Another puzzling under ground item was the arched chamber that ran almost the full width of the main factory block, unknown to Lucas Engineers until one Monday morning when, on arrival, a brand new OP55 power press had half vanished thro' the floor!
On the same site but on left hand side of the main building was another building associated with explosives(?) It had solid triple brick walls around the outside & a further double brick wall about 2m in the inside.
I think the whole site was cleared about 20 years ago.
John

Hi. I'm not sure what a 'proof house' is but the BSA satellite factory built (presumably) in the 30's in Marshall Lake Rd, Shirley had underground test firing range.
When Lucas bought the place in the mid 60's it was on right hand side of the factory when viewed from the road. It consisted of a small brick building inside which were two long tubes & an area in front for mounting small arms. These tubes ran parallel to the factory for per perhaps 150m finishing in another brick building where the targets were placed. The area was covered in soil & you had to go up concrete steps to get to over to the car park on the other side.
Another puzzling under ground item was the arched chamber that ran almost the full width of the main factory block, unknown to Lucas Engineers until one Monday morning when, on arrival, a brand new OP55 power press had half vanished thro' the floor!
On the same site but on left hand side of the main building was another building associated with explosives(?) It had solid triple brick walls around the outside & a further double brick wall about 2m in the inside.
I think the whole site was cleared about 20 years ago.
John
thank you sajohn.for reply...........A proofhouse,is were they test barrels off fireams. they put in the barrel far more than the safe amount of explosive, "GUNPOWDER" and ignite it.to see if it blows out."split the barrel or ruptures".if not the barrel is safe to use at the normal load. and stamped with a proof mark..... bsa small heath had a p/house and range, but i cant find out when...it was by the old clubhouse.

Hi Pete,

Some years ago I owned a deactivated BSA made Lee Enfield No 1 SMLE Rifle.
It did not with a Deactivation Certificate, which was actually not required if the gun
had been suitably marked at the Proof House. However I wanted the certificate,
so I took it to Birmingham Proof House, and it was remarked and a certificate
issued.
I wish I still had it now, - it was a beautiful bit of workmanship, and was still
fitted with a magazine cut-off, so would hold a maximum of 11 rounds.

Kind regards
Dave

Hi Pete,

Some years ago I owned a deactivated BSA made Lee Enfield No 1 SMLE Rifle.
It did not with a Deactivation Certificate, which was actually not required if the gun
had been suitably marked at the Proof House. However I wanted the certificate,
so I took it to Birmingham Proof House, and it was remarked and a certificate
issued.
I wish I still had it now, - it was a beautiful bit of workmanship, and was still
fitted with a magazine cut-off, so would hold a maximum of 11 rounds.

Kind regards
Dave
i like the smle and no 4. ......

Hi Pete

Yes, I used both of these down at Hurley Range in the 1960's,
but although they were both great rifles, I always thought that
the build quality of the SMLE was better. Perhaps I'm just being
nostalgic!

Kind regards
Dave

Back