• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Skyline

pollypops

master brummie
skyline 2.jpg

I took this picture from the Lickeys -I thought you might like to have a go at identifying the buildings. The building in the foreground used to be part of Rover. I am sorry about the crane that seems to be dangling something between buildings 6 & 7. The crane is actually in Longbridge where they are building a new college on the old Rover site.
I hope the picture is big/clear enough - I don't have the answers :confused2: and sorry, there are no prizes!
I wonder how many we can identify between us?
Polly :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Polly,

I will make a start. 1 is the new Q.E Hospital. 13 is the university. Perhaps 11 is the Rotunda. On the horizon behind 3 and 4 is, I think, Barr Beacon.
Thats the best I can do.

Chris (Old Boy)

Right i,ve got a few i think 17 The Rotunda , 14,--16 the Flats on Hollaway Circus, 15 the glass fronted hotel also on Hollaway Circus ,11 The Hiatt Hotel Broad St,10 The B.T. Tower Newhall St , Fives Ways i think Alpha House N2 9,---No7 is the Uni Halls of Residence on Church Rd (built in1963 i work on it) No 1 The new Q.E. Hos. No 13 The Uni Tower i agree with Old Boy. Dek

This is looking good already - if we can identify most of them I think I will print it off and take it up to the visitor centre at the Lickeys.

hi polly...what a great pic...this has certainly got the little grey cells going..:D:D hope you manage to get them all identified....

lyn :)

I know 3,4,5,&6 they are the flats adjacent to Ladywood Middleway perhaps some one can put names to them. No 2 has got me beat. Dek

1......New University Hospital
7......Birmingham University Halls of Residence
8......Jury Inn (Auchinleck House)
9......Tower in Broad Street
10....P.O.Tower in front of the Hyatt
11....Alpha Tower
13....University clock tower...Question....what are the numerals on the clock faces?
14....Cleveland Tower
15....Beetham Tower. ( SAS Raddison Hotel )
16....Clydesdale Tower
17....Rotunda

The list is growing and looking good :thumbsup:
I have been trying to find out what number 2 is but I can't work it out - but then I only knew a few anyway.

I know 3,4,5,&6 they are the flats adjacent to Ladywood Middleway perhaps some one can put names to them. No 2 has got me beat. Dek
Dek, I think you might be right :thumbsup: I have just been on a long walk down Ladywood Middleway on street view and have zoomed in on the names of the towers. I am not too sure but I think they are
3. Salisbury Tower
4. Canterbury Tower
5. Wells Tower
6. Truro Tower

I might be wrong with the order though.
2 has still got me beat - I can't even think where it would be.

Polly i cannot be sure but i think No2 is up the Hagley Rd By the junction of the Wolverhampton New Rd. Dek

Polly i cannot be sure but i think No2 is up the Hagley Rd By the junction of the Wolverhampton New Rd. Dek
Dek, I have been on a walk ... the building at this junction is TriGate - a T shape building of shops and offices. coming forward on the map I found 4 blocks of flats in Selcroft Avenue B32:
Netley House
St Albans House
Stoneleigh House
Tintern House
If you are correct and 2 is TriGate the other buildings close to it could be these flats???????????

Polly thats it Trigate House no 9 i have worked in there some time ago but i had Tricorn stuck in my brain and couldn,l get rid of it it is the shape of the building three cornered like the Tricorn hat. Dek

They do look like the T V masts They must be 30 odd miles from the Lickeys I wonder if it,s Four Oaks instead of Hints. Dek

The more I look, I can't convince myself that TriGate is tall enough to be number 2 :confused2:

Polly I,m looking at No9 to be Trigate Five Ways Island Broad St Can i spot another mast to the right of the B T tower??Dek

Dek, this is the one that I looked at on the map and it is called TriGate. I will kook for the one on Broad Street - they wouldn't have given it the same name would they?
Polly

No 9 Tricorn house 5 ways just come back to me. Dek
Dek you were right the first time - Tricorn house is near the island Hagley Road/ Broad Street so that is number 9 we think.
I was looking at TriGate -Hagley Road/Wolverhampton Road for number 2 but I am not sure it is tall enough now

I think that building 2 is in fact three blocks of flats in Metchley Lane, Harborne. It is opposite to the playing fields. See Picture.

Back