• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Shipbuilding Thomas Walker & Son

RobertS

master brummie
I keep picking up references to the involvement of Birmingham in Shipbuilding. Even had an ancestor who was a 'ships cabin fitter'. As unlikely as this seems the references still keep cropping up, but no sources.

Can anyone shed any light on Birmingham Shipbuilding?

Cheers

The 'Slipway' must have been a long un :D

more likely to have been 'Boat Building' canal boats that sort of thing.

Nick

I know that there were boat building yards ie canal narrowboats,but I dont know about shipbuilding in Birmingham.

Maybe as this website explains there were companies in Birmingham who made parts which went into the actual building of the ships.

I worked in Newtons in Thimble Mill lane and we made aircraft brakes so maybe the ship building is a similar thing.

https://www.naval-history.net/WW1NavyBritish-Shipbuild01.htm

There was also the Birmingham District committee of the confederation of Ship Building and engineer unions which would also support the fact that parts for ships were made in Birmingham

[no title] MSS.202/A/1/5/1 1961-5

These documents are held at Warwick University, Modern Records Centre

Contents:
Mins. of Birmingham District Committee of the Confederation of Shipbuilding and Engineering Unions [CSEU]: dupl. mins. (incomp.) with dupl. circulars.

The Birmingham University Information Services Special collections also have some records.

Maybe someone more knowledgable may have some answers for you

Louisa

Don't know much about it,but, the boilers for steam ships were made in Brum.Aso the anchor chain for the Titanic was made in the black country.
Well the old saying was ,Birmingaham made everything from a "pin to a battleship"
I have seen "Made In Birmingham"in some suprising places.

Thanks everyone.

As usual it appears a more complex picture than I would have imagined and will take a bit of time to put together. I will start to look at the references given and take another look at Birmingham firms products and customers.

When there is casual talk of the 'loss of british shipyards' the naval history site gives an insight into the larger loss to industry throughout the country (and this doesn't show the Merchant shipping sourcing of components).

(Since this morning I have found a reference to 'Trawler Sections' that I assume to be parts of the boats completed for re assembly closer to the sea, but no indication of who was making them! and a message saying the serk made naval components,)

Any other info gratefully received.

Thanks again

Back