• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Schools Football History / & photos

I reckon Grahpack was a couple of years younger than us Bob but I'm sure I played with or against him somewhere along the line-maybe Sunday football or something

Following on from David re: BGTS team, here's 1 plus the Sunday league team we formed from the VERY successful school team. I notice there's a flying right winger pictured top left on the school photo and again bottom left on the Sunday team. Plus, I have to say, a big butch goalie 4th from the left on the Sunday team. Probably DB!!!
BGTS_First_Eleven_1964_65.jpg

Sunday_League_Team_281240_x_97229.jpg

“Big butch goalie is a bit over the top”. I played for BGTS under 13,s in 58-59, And 59-60. One or the other. I still have the medals. We were the first team to win both the Federation Cup and the Birmingham Schools final at Henry Road Playing fields. Mr Williams was in charge and I remember him feeding us Dextrosol before the extra time period in the Federation Cup, during which I made a great save pushing the ball onto the post and collecting the rebound. We won 2-1.
Other players I remember were, John Allen, Laurie Paterson, Tony Owen, Roger Morgan, Toby Jones. I remember Dave Fowler in the later years, mainly because on he and John Holden owned cars when in the sixth form.
Great days which continued through school and the onwards to the BGTSOB team that had success in either the Birmingham Coronation league or Jubilee league…..I can’t remember exactly. We played teams such as Mackadown Rovers, and another rival that I don’t remember but for whom John Whittle played in goal. John used to live next to me when I was in primary.
Glebe Farm rec was a frequent venue for our Sunday Games
Kind regards
Tony Annis

I insert an unconventional pic (succumbed to the lure of colourisation), of a very non-league team, though I'd think these chaps would be in a league of their own. From about 1922 by a great-uncle, just passing - I'm sure the boys asked him to take their photo, & arranged themselves into this charming group. He lived in Bankes Rd, Small Heath & they must be young budding Brummy footballers - some of them, perhaps!

Attachments

• boys,col.jpg
    boys,col.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 33
I don't know about the likeness! You used to wear specs as I remember Bobrob and I feel you should get your eyes tested-Specsavers are good or the French equivalent

Ok, I've posted this in another section and it should be in here really, I'll put names to it if anyone recognises themselves.
Its St Thomas of Canterbury school ,Erdington aka The Abbey.

Click on the pick at the bottom

Attachments

• school team.jpg
    school team.jpg
    923.4 KB · Views: 29
Just as a contribution.

I went to Pheasey County Secondary Modern which , in fact, iis n Staffordshire. Back in the day as we were (and still is) border landers - we never knew whether to speak Black Country or Brummie - we played in the Aston Schools League. This made complete sense as we were 2 miles or so from the many North Bham schools in (now) Kinsgstanding Birchfield, Beeches etc, while an away fixture in Staffs would have taken us to Aldridge, Walsall, Pelsall etc, a day trip in those days. I cannot recall any honours for the team or individual players, 1959-64.

I was a left half (No 6 for the unknowing) with a Dick Neal (BCFC) attitude to defence and attack. I am sure I still carry life time injuries from those times! I went on to play for some Sunday Festival League youth teams but was never a regular selection despite my exquisite skills as a 'caggy' footer!

So, I took up refereeing and have the honour of sending off a player on 30 seconds of a game for foul and abusive language. Birmingham parks - Aldridge Road, Perry Hall, Perry Barr, Kingstanding etc and no doubt all Birmingham Parks recs., had a strict ruling about bad language in public parks that may influence children to swear and adults to be upset. I officiated in BHam Works (Sat) and Festival League (a.m. and p.m.). Crickey! I must have been fit. Occasionally refereed Wednesday afternoons - markets and showmen teams league. I reached Level 2 but in moving away was unable to tread the path to Wembley or the World Cup and retired gracefully at 24. I did once line at Villa Park back in the day when Villa took on Blues in a City Cup friendly pre-season. No, not lining in this match but a short game of 15 yr olds before the big match. as we finished our game there was 30,000 in the ground. Great experience!

My cousin, however John Ostins - Cardinal Wiseman, the kind of dominating centre half that was around in those days, played for Aston Schools and later played for Aston Villa Amateurs but declined and offer to join Walsall as a pro as he and family felt that the security of a 9-5 job was paramount. John went on to play for clubs in the Festival Sunday
League.

Now, wheres my Thunderer whistle!! (made in Birmingham)

I am looking for a photo of Moor End Lane football team in 1949 Pr 1950. My late husband played on the team,his name was Donald Page. I would love to find a photo.

Ok , I know most of back row- back left is Trevor Glynn, then Phil Mason, then dont know and dont now then Brian Harrison and Graham Butlin. Then front left dont know, then your guy, then dont know, dont know, then myself and because his name was so different Roger Couldjoe i think

On the first photo, I think that's Mr George Churchward who taught Technical Drawing at my old school, Bournville Boys' Technical School. I don't think he got on very well with the headmaster Mr 'Bill' Jennings - so he left. Did he teach the same subject at BGTS ?
Yes, Trevor, Mr "Jock" Churchward taught TD at Bordesley Green Tech too. He gave me a (very good) grounding in the subject between September 1959 and July 1963, when I gave it up to study Biology. I always got on very well with Jock although I had no contact with him through football.
Here he is on the 1964 official school panoramic photograph together with the school secretary and, on the right, Mr Goodfellow the headmaster. DB

Attachments

• Churchward 1964.jpg
    Churchward 1964.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 16
Ok , I know most of back row- back left is Trevor Glynn, then Phil Mason, then dont know and dont now then Brian Harrison and Graham Butlin. Then front left dont know, then your guy, then dont know, dont know, then myself and because his name was so different Roger Couldjoe i think
Which photograph are you referring to, FNQ? Could you add the number of the posting please? (Top right-hand corner of posting, e.g., #334.)
Could you put a name to "your guy" please. Thank you, DB

Sorry maybe we are talking different photos-this is the one to which I was referring which was possibly 1962 but I think you were talking of Bordesley Green Tech- however the young Butlin back row last guy on right, went there along with his brother John. I played Sunday football for their team which was called BG Brazillia made up from many ex BG Tech players

Attachments

• file-49.jpeg
    file-49.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
View attachment 75311I have started this thread, as there is no notable history on this subject.Who was in your school team. Whom won the Villa Cup and in what year? Who played in the districted school Representative sides such as B'ham Boys, Erdington Boys, South B'ham Boys, Aston and District Boys. Whom went on to become a pro footballer?

If we don't post this knowledge it will be lost forever, as there is very little or no history on line, there is some detail from the old Mail, Dispatch and Argus kept in the central library but it takes hours to research and find.

I will kick off with my mates school Queensbridge Road who had a great team in 1962 and 1963 when they won the Victoria Shield & South B'ham league 1 in 1962.

View attachment 151523
Just found this in my collection
I was in the Stags team. Shared the trophy after a 3-3 draw. I was injured weeks before the final but played as didn't want to miss final

Sorry maybe we are talking different photos-this is the one to which I was referring which was possibly 1962 but I think you were talking of Bordesley Green Tech ...
Yes, correct, we were referring to two different photos, hence my request to set things straight. Amazingly, in your photograph there are three lads who went on to play for various age-group teams at Bordesley Green Technical School. As you so rightly state, both Graham Butlin (and, of course, his elder brother, John) and Paul Coudjoe played there. In your photo, in the first row, kneeling in the centre is a lad who looks very much like Kevin Askey. Does this name ring a bell? He came to my former school too. Thanks for your rapid reply.
Best wishes, DB

PS If I remember correctly, the two Butlin brothers went to Harvey Road School. Is your football team photo of the Harvey Road team? Thanks, DB

PPS Here's a photograph showing Graham and Paul in the BGTS Under-15 team in 1965-66. David.

Attachments

• BGTS Under 15 1965-66 team.jpg
    BGTS Under 15 1965-66 team.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Back