• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Schools Football History / & photos

View attachment 75311I have started this thread, as there is no notable history on this subject.Who was in your school team. Whom won the Villa Cup and in what year? Who played in the districted school Representative sides such as B'ham Boys, Erdington Boys, South B'ham Boys, Aston and District Boys. Whom went on to become a pro footballer?

If we don't post this knowledge it will be lost forever, as there is very little or no history on line, there is some detail from the old Mail, Dispatch and Argus kept in the central library but it takes hours to research and find.

I will kick off with my mates school Queensbridge Road who had a great team in 1962 and 1963 when they won the Victoria Shield & South B'ham league 1 in 1962.
Just as a contribution.

I went to Pheasey County Secondary Modern which , in fact, iis n Staffordshire. Back in the day as we were (and still is) border landers - we never knew whether to speak Black Country or Brummie - we played in the Aston Schools League. This made complete sense as we were 2 miles or so from the many North Bham schools in (now) Kinsgstanding Birchfield, Beeches etc, while an away fixture in Staffs would have taken us to Aldridge, Walsall, Pelsall etc, a day trip in those days. I cannot recall any honours for the team or individual players, 1959-64.

I was a left half (No 6 for the unknowing) with a Dick Neal (BCFC) attitude to defence and attack. I am sure I still carry life time injuries from those times! I went on to play for some Sunday Festival League youth teams but was never a regular selection despite my exquisite skills as a 'caggy' footer!

So, I took up refereeing and have the honour of sending off a player on 30 seconds of a game for foul and abusive language. Birmingham parks - Aldridge Road, Perry Hall, Perry Barr, Kingstanding etc and no doubt all Birmingham Parks recs., had a strict ruling about bad language in public parks that may influence children to swear and adults to be upset. I officiated in BHam Works (Sat) and Festival League (a.m. and p.m.). Crickey! I must have been fit. Occasionally refereed Wednesday afternoons - markets and showmen teams league. I reached Level 2 but in moving away was unable to tread the path to Wembley or the World Cup and retired gracefully at 24. I did once line at Villa Park back in the day when Villa took on Blues in a City Cup friendly pre-season. No, not lining in this match but a short game of 15 yr olds before the big match. as we finished our game there was 30,000 in the ground. Great experience!

My cousin, however John Ostins - Cardinal Wiseman, the kind of dominating centre half that was around in those days, played for Aston Schools and later played for Aston Villa Amateurs but declined and offer to join Walsall as a pro as he and family felt that the security of a 9-5 job was paramount. John went on to play for clubs in the Festival Sunday
League.

Now, wheres my Thunderer whistle!! (made in Birmingham)

I have just found this interesting thread My brother Brian Brittle played football and cricket for St. Chad's Boys school in the early 50's. He was chosen to play with Aston Boys. There were two large photographs of him in football and cricket kit on display in the school hall. He also stayed on at school for 6 months extra so that he could play in cup matches. The one I remember him going to play against Blythe Boys in Northumberland. He was also offered a trial with Aston Villa, unfortunately he got injured whilst playing football and suffered a dislocated patella. In those days not much could be done for him so that was the end of his football career.( I was pleased, and too young to understand) It meant that I no longer had to be his goal keeper, being a girl and 6.12 years younger I could now play my own games. I will admit that I became a great goal keeper as I got shouted at if I let the ball past me. He was sports mad, he then had to go into the R.A.F for his National Service. When he was discharged he started playing football and cricket again for pleasure with local parks teams. I was older I used to go with his girl friend to watch him play cricket. Much quieter in those days.
I remember seeing photographs of him in the sporting pink , when he was a boy. We never had any photographs of him at home. Couldn't afford such things as a camera.

I went to Worlds End Lane junior school. Our team of 1962/3 won the league and beat Blakesley Hall (I think) in the Birmingham final at Henry Road. We had an outstanding team. Others in our league were Welsh House Farm, Woodgate, Woodhouse, Quinton, Station Road, St Barnabas. My name is Steve Gregory.

I forgot to mention that Brian Brittle also played against Duncan Edwards he used to say that this was his claim to fame.

View attachment 75311I have started this thread, as there is no notable history on this subject.Who was in your school team. Whom won the Villa Cup and in what year? Who played in the districted school Representative sides such as B'ham Boys, Erdington Boys, South B'ham Boys, Aston and District Boys. Whom went on to become a pro footballer?

If we don't post this knowledge it will be lost forever, as there is very little or no history on line, there is some detail from the old Mail, Dispatch and Argus kept in the central library but it takes hours to research and find.

I will kick off with my mates school Queensbridge Road who had a great team in 1962 and 1963 when they won the Victoria Shield & South B'ham league 1 in 1962.
Try Dave Dugdale (centre half went to Wolves

Marsh Hill Tech School 1961 Champions, unbeaten for 2 years I think

Attachments

• Marsh Hill Footy Scan.pdf
    671.3 KB · Views: 12
Can I post my school bit of fame, the clip comes from the Tiger comic and my school was Marsh Hill Tech, Erdington, and dated 1961. We won everything that we entered including the Federation Cup Final played at the Villa training ground, prior to Bodymoor heath I am having trouble attaching the clip so any help would be appreciatedMarsh Hill Footy Scan-1.pdf.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

i played for the aston boys in the early 1960s my name was mick minnis from icknield street school and played for the county

Just as a contribution.

I went to Pheasey County Secondary Modern which , in fact, iis n Staffordshire. Back in the day as we were (and still is) border landers - we never knew whether to speak Black Country or Brummie - we played in the Aston Schools League. This made complete sense as we were 2 miles or so from the many North Bham schools in (now) Kinsgstanding Birchfield, Beeches etc, while an away fixture in Staffs would have taken us to Aldridge, Walsall, Pelsall etc, a day trip in those days. I cannot recall any honours for the team or individual players, 1959-64.

I was a left half (No 6 for the unknowing) with a Dick Neal (BCFC) attitude to defence and attack. I am sure I still carry life time injuries from those times! I went on to play for some Sunday Festival League youth teams but was never a regular selection despite my exquisite skills as a 'caggy' footer!

So, I took up refereeing and have the honour of sending off a player on 30 seconds of a game for foul and abusive language. Birmingham parks - Aldridge Road, Perry Hall, Perry Barr, Kingstanding etc and no doubt all Birmingham Parks recs., had a strict ruling about bad language in public parks that may influence children to swear and adults to be upset. I officiated in BHam Works (Sat) and Festival League (a.m. and p.m.). Crickey! I must have been fit. Occasionally refereed Wednesday afternoons - markets and showmen teams league. I reached Level 2 but in moving away was unable to tread the path to Wembley or the World Cup and retired gracefully at 24. I did once line at Villa Park back in the day when Villa took on Blues in a City Cup friendly pre-season. No, not lining in this match but a short game of 15 yr olds before the big match. as we finished our game there was 30,000 in the ground. Great experience!

My cousin, however John Ostins - Cardinal Wiseman, the kind of dominating centre half that was around in those days, played for Aston Schools and later played for Aston Villa Amateurs but declined and offer to join Walsall as a pro as he and family felt that the security of a 9-5 job was paramount. John went on to play for clubs in the Festival Sunday
League.

i played with john for the aston boys team with stan bennet and micky minnis

Just as a contribution.

League.

i played with john my name is mick minnis in the same team with us was stan bennett

Excellent to read, bringing back memories. Attended and played for Marsh Hill Tech inaugural teams between ages12 to 15, we won all the cups and league entered into during that period. I was the left back/half, something in the style of Terry Henessesy or Trevor Hockey of that great Blues era. Played for Hillcrest Colts / Stafford Rangers between school and proper work age 19. Hillcrest playing at Doe Bank Lane Rec for home games, remember being beaten 13-1 in the Arden cup final one year. Names from Hillcrest - Broadfield(?) and Les Dandy and the goalie that broke his leg once.

My younger brother Gordon was an ardent footballer and I'm sure he played for many a team in his young days, he went to school at Dulwich Road but I don't know if they had a team.
He had time at Aston Villa and Walsall in their junior teams and played for works local club teams.

Hello there, bob,
I go along with all you've said ...... and I'll give the ball another shove. Here's my contribution. It's the Bordesley Green Tech. team of 1960/61 and it shows eleven of my contemporaries plus the master who trained the team. I could send in a photograph which shows all their names ...... I remember them all. David

Picture1.jpg
hi db841 didn,t go to b. tech. but rember kenneth honour, sitting second left front row. lived in temlefield

Hi I went to Great Barr Comprehensive school 1955/1958 played in first team football 1956/1957 Aston Schools we won league title and were Aston Villa Cup finalists. Remember Brian ‘Nipper’ Naylor, Peter Aldritt and a lot of goals!

Hello there, bob,
I go along with all you've said ...... and I'll give the ball another shove. Here's my contribution. It's the Bordesley Green Tech. team of 1960/61 and it shows eleven of my contemporaries plus the master who trained the team. I could send in a photograph which shows all their names ...... I remember them all. David

Picture1.jpg
front row second left, my old schoolmate from tilton rd. juniors kenny honour. great photo ,bob allcock.

Attached is me, Keith Thomas (the one wearing glasses in the back row) in the 1953-1954 Redhill Road Junior School, Hay Mills team photo. Unfortunately Tony Alden (back row third from left) was killed by a lightening strike whilst playing football. I was born and lived at 19 George Road, Hay Mills, as was Kenny Mole (back row extreme right) who lived at number 15. Kenny went on to have a trial for Coventry City Football Club.

Attachments

• KEITH Redhill school football team 1954.jpg
    KEITH Redhill school football team 1954.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Hi my dad played for Pheasey estate juniors who were runners up in the Aston Villa Cup 1951-52 the final taking place at Villa Park, I have his truly lovely medal but no info other than they lost to Warley fc.
Any information or pointers about this team or club would be much appreciated.

Back