• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Schools Football History / & photos

Hello everyone,

My name is Phil and I am the teacher who currently runs the Erdington and Saltley Primary Schools' district team. I stumbled across this thread today and it has made a fascinating read! I am a prominent committee member of the B'ham Primary Schools' FA and also manage the Birmingham Under 11s Representative team along with the teacher who runs the Aston and West district. I have particularly enjoyed seeing the photos containing the HMS Shield as this is a trophy which is still played for to this day. In fact this trophy remains the pinnacle of all primary schools' football, with the final being played at the AVFC training ground.

Although I can't contribute to your trip down memory lane, I would love to learn more about district football from years gone by, particularly if there are any former Erdington and Saltley players out there. It would be great to get hold of some pictures to show my current crop of district players. With the growing power of the local professional clubs, district football regrettably does not quite hold the kudos that it used to but it is still a huge honour nonetheless to play representative football.

You can see what the under 11 Erdington and Saltley district is up to nowadays by visiting www.erdingtonandsaltleydistrict.wordpress.com .

Thanks for your time everyone.

Phil

Thanks mate!
Hi new to BSF ,just read articles about Birmingham Schools Football.My husband played for Handsworth Technical School in 1959/60.He says he played upto the Final of Cup Competition that was played at Villa Park in 1960 ,after he had left school.Are there any other members of that team in contact with this forum ?

Good to see my old metal work teacher Mr Bartlett again at Queensbridge. I played in the team that followed these lads, We had a good team to, we gave Wheelers lane and Brandwood some good games. Peter latchford goal keeper at Brandwood turned pro, his two older brothers went down the blues Dave and Bob, Alan Childs from wheelers Lane
went to the Blues also from School, I remember at a south Birmingham trial playing agaist a good lad Adrian Thrilling I think he was from Moseley Modern not sure, we had some good lads Martin Giles and Arnold Kaplan ccould play a bit. Mr Winchester and Mr Ninnis looked after the football team, we played at Highbury Park and on our own ground on
Queensbridge Road. I think the tree in the middle was a Cadbury logo and could not be touched. I also played for Kings Heath junior and infants school, on the No 11 down to
Colebank rd opposite Sarehole Mill, we played Springfield School there, good pitch, I scored one of my first goals on that pitch for the school. Very Happy school boy football memories indeed even though the boots were so big and heavy, and only the brave juniors headed a wet heavy size 5 ball, Billesley Common could be a cold place a bit open
then. I carried on playing until I was forty in Birmingham, with good players and some became good friends too. All this came from schools football very worthwhile.
Any more old Queens out there ?

Does anyone have any ada road school football pics 1961-67 my grandad billy broome is keen to see if he can get hold of any? Thnx x

I've played footie too at the Oaklands. Henry Road junior school playing fields and Belchers Lane the seniors.

I think that Oaklands Rec was also the first home of Yardley and District rugby club. They were a merger of Bierton Rd old boys and Yardley Church rugby club. I remember playing against them there in the mid sixties. We used to drink afterwards in the 'Glebe' pub which was a fair drive away as I recall.
Trevor.

Perhaps not the correct thread for this photo but here's a photograph of Yardley Church R.F.C. taken during the 1967-68 season, as Trevor says, at The Oaklands recreation ground. The changing rooms were to be burnt down several years later.
During that season, our preferred pub was The Ring o' Bells, which was to meet the same unfortunate fate a few years ago. David.

Attachments

• Yardley Church R.F.C.   1967-68.JPG
    Yardley Church R.F.C. 1967-68.JPG
    108.8 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Photo of Erdington United early to mid 60's.

Erdington United features - N.Connor, S.Rowlands, J.Dobson, G.Scott, Gilmore.

A few names missing.

Attachments

• 20170930_180753.jpg
    20170930_180753.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 51
Photo of Lyndhurst FC from early to mid 60's.

Lyndhurst features - B.Euer, J.Dobson, S.Rowlands, J.Reddington, D.Littleford, G.Scott, B.Scott.

A few names missing.

Attachments

• 20170930_180737.jpg
    20170930_180737.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 44
Sorry to mention thisCDJ, but this is for Schools football teams of the past, there is another thread for Birmingham Amateur football teams that I suggest you need to transfer too.
I do like your photos CJD but its always more interesting to have names and details of the dates and leagues they played in.

Note from Admin. Please post your images or comments about amateur football teams on the following thread link. Thanks. https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/birmingham-amateur-football-teams.15974/

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Bob. Understandable that CJD posted on this thread, as the football teams of the past thread was difficult to find. So I have now changed that thread title to "Birmingham amateur football teams " and it can be found on the following link https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/birmingham-amateur-football-teams.15974/ )

I shall move CJD's post to that thread and shall tidy up this thread as there are other posts needing re-direction.

Thanks for pointing this out. As you know we're aiming to keep threads on topic, so shall deal with this thread soon. Viv.

Hi, my two cousins,John and Roy Burke went to Ada Road school In the 50s Both played in footy teams for their school. Roy Burke did a
trial for the Villa .They where both Blues fans. I will look to see if I have any photos.

Hi, my two cousins,John and Roy Burke went to Ada Road school In the 50s Both played in footy teams for their school. Roy Burke did a
trial for the Villa .They where both Blues fans. I will look to see if I have any photos.
My only recollection of Ada Road School was that during the early fifties I would go to the dance which was held in the Assembly Room. Unfortunately I have no recollection of the school football team, however, between the years of 1943 - 1945 I attended Alston Road Senior Boys School and played regularly for the school team (in goal). In 1943 I took over the position in goal from a well known local goalkeeper Donald pead. In 1945 I became friendly with a lad who played football for Bierton Road school in south YARDLEY. I pestered my mother to arrange for me to leave Alston Road and attend Bierton Road , which she did, and to this day I have no idea how she did it! In 1946 Bierton Road won the Aston Villa Challenge Cup, photo of the winning team attached. I took over from the goalkeeper named Sutch in the picture and played for the school until I left in 1947. During my time at Bierton Road School I was fortunate enough to be selected to play for Birmingham Boys and represented them on five separate occasions and was awarded a cap. Unfortunately I do not have any photos of Birmingham Boys or Bierton Road whilst I was playing. Does anyone out there have any photos?

My only recollection of Ada Road School was that during the early fifties I would go to the dance which was held in the Assembly Room. Unfortunately I have no recollection of the school football team, however, between the years of 1943 - 1945 I attended Alston Road Senior Boys School and played regularly for the school team (in goal). In 1943 I took over the position in goal from a well known local goalkeeper Donald pead. In 1945 I became friendly with a lad who played football for Bierton Road school in south YARDLEY. I pestered my mother to arrange for me to leave Alston Road and attend Bierton Road , which she did, and to this day I have no idea how she did it! In 1946 Bierton Road won the Aston Villa Challenge Cup, photo of the winning team attached. I took over from the goalkeeper named Sutch in the picture and played for the school until I left in 1947. During my time at Bierton Road School I was fortunate enough to be selected to play for Birmingham Boys and represented them on five separate occasions and was awarded a cap. Unfortunately I do not have any photos of Birmingham Boys or Bierton Road whilst I was playing. Does anyone out there have any photos?
Apologies forgot to attach school team photo and photo of me on the day I won my cap. John woodfield

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    404.4 KB · Views: 47
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    183.7 KB · Views: 44
Apologies forgot to attach school team photo and photo of me on the day I won my cap. John woodfield
Another apology. Forgot to add team names. Left to right; John Charlton (Birmingham City)' Mr Blades, Brian Wilmot (Coventry City) Arthur Phipps, Ray Sutch, ? ? ? Leslie Baker, seated; Joe White (Coventry city), Bullet Smith, George Allen (Birmingham city)' Bagshaw, Gordon Knutt (Coventry city, arsenal, Ajax, south end, finally Corinthians, Tasmania).

Back