• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Schools Football History / & photos

HI BOB
Ihave information ref South Bham caps. Just spoken to my old school mate Fred Woodley. Fred played for South Bham with me 1950-51 season.
He was way ahead as a player ,he was only 14 at the time. Season 1951-52 he captained the team. He has in his possesion a cap of his brother
from about 1938.The caps stopped during the war as did the football. They do not seem to have been started again. He is going to sort it out and send a picture.
Freds claim to faim is that in Oct 1951 while playing in the English School trials the great Duncan Edwards broke his leg and he never got back to his best.
KEN

My name is Harry Gillett and i now live in Castle Bromwich. I used to play for college road school and birmingham school boys

Hi Harry
This is Ken Harris,remember me?? Have a look at posts171 172 178 on this they will take you back down memory lane . Nice to see you are still around.
Iam now living in Burnham on Sea now,been here 7 years.
KEN

Harry
forgot to say if you wish to get in touch direct its no problem. First e-mail me then i can give you my phone no if you wish
KEN

Here are some of the photos of this years Villa Cup reunion at Villa Park of Waverley Grammar School 50 years on.

Villa cup winners 1962-63.jpg IMG_4379.jpg Kenny Copson Captain & Cup.jpg Kenny Copson with villa cup, Captain and centre forward.

For the record and middle photo of remaining players ; Roger Simmonds,Keith Rowbotham,Barry Ansell,Ken Copson,Brian Worrall,Pete Deathridge,Dave Ladbrooke,Micky Ward,Terry Worton.

Bob
As i said before the cap was issued pre war to one of my old schoolfriends brother. When i played for the district in 1951 all we got was a free coach ride and a free lunch. They must of started to issue the badges at a later date

hi Johnny,

Its a small world. Bob Keef is my brother in law and i used to work with you at Hardy Spicer!( when i was an apprentice) I am in South Africa now myself for 23 years.
I saw Bob in january when i went to Cape Town, do you here from him? I used to go and visit Nel & Arthur on my bike on the Bromford. ( memories)

cheers

Andy

I played in the Villa Cup Final for my school Alderlea Boys in 1978. We beat Washwood Heath 1-0. Noel Blake was in our team back then. He was the only one to go on to be a Pro footballer from our team. Andy Canning ( son of the late Larry Canning - ex Villa) was also in our team & what cracking player he was!

My memories of playing for Handsworth Technical School in 1953 were of horrendously muddy pitches got to by public transport throughout the city. Changing facilities were almost non-existent hence I often returned home with my kit on and mud all over. Nobody would give a second glance, it was as though so long as you were dressed then so be it! Mr Stokes and Mr Ball were our "trainers". I was fortunate that my father was a Midland Red bus driver and gave me instructions on how to get to the very diverse venues. I still have very fond memories of those football days and am envious of those young people playing club football at weekends.

Those were the days, muddy pitches, freezing cold, we used to be fed up if the game was off even if it was covered in snow.

Yes, I had some serious run-ins with Derek when I became his boss. Having said that, socially he was great company. I remember his brother with the Mexican tash. I certainly do remember Dennis the setter. Maureen, John and Derek (Turner) were on my team in Customer Liaison/Production Control.

Port Elizabeth sounds great. Coincidentally, my father was offered a post there back in the late 1950's but decided to stay in Brum. Our lives hinge on the odd decision here and there along the way don't they.

My daughter is 43 and my sons are 42 and 38 and I have 4 fabulous grandsons (12 yr old twins, 11 and 8) and a delightful granddaughter (9).

So if my memory serves me correctly that office had the entrance in the corner ( assembly area ) & DerekMorgan and Graham Swindler? was at the back part of that office.
Dave Morgan must have had the tash.

You could buy anything at Hardys- from jeans to cars! LOL. Every section sold fags.
My SA adventure was obviously linked to my sister emigrating in the mid 60's, like you say a turning point in one's life.
Do you think Auntie Nel would remember me if you mentioned my name?

Your memory is spot on and indeed it was Dave Morgan with the tash. I remember Graham - he left to work at Concentric in Sutton Coldfield if my memory serves me right.

I too bought loads of stuff at Hardy's including overcoats, joints of meat and rubber toys (for my kids!)

I will be seeing Aunt Nell very soon and will mention you to her. She does struggle now but is more likely to remember people and events from when she knew you than more recent times.

Great . Thanks.

Some great memories from those times of my life at Hardy's and great characters, i would say that my SA working experience has been very different.
Worked at Hella lighting, a catalytic converter manufacturer, another exhaust related company before entering the Pharmaceutical industry!

My school Alderlea lost 3-1 to Turves Green school at Villa Park in the fifties.

I played for Alderlea in the 1977 Villa cup Final v Washwood Heath Comp ( at Bodymoor Heath) we won 1-0.
We won the Blues cup in 1978 & lost in the final of the Trevor Gill Trophy in 1976 to Duddeston Manor 2-1.
The Trevor Gill final was played at Villa Park - what an experience that was! We had a good team that included
Noel Blake. Will attach photos when i find them.

Alderlea Boys 1973-74

back row: Phil Moules, Peter Dolphin, Leroy Chambers, Andy Daniels,?Huckfield?,Roland Venables, Charlie Stokes.
front row: Nick Withnall, Craig Conniff, Andy Canning, Richard mason, Andy Cole, Herman Wilson, ? not sure!

007.jpg

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    293.8 KB · Views: 59
Back