• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Schools Football History / & photos

HI ALL
Just sorting through my pictures from school. Some of you football buffs may be interesed in the following. They are some cuttings from the Argus
Sept-dec 1950, and a cartoon strip done by Len Pardo in feb 1951 while i was playing for South Bham schools against Brierley Hill schools. As it is large
i have sent it in 2 parts. One day i might get back to the ref library to sort out my goal record for the rest of the season
Ken Harris

Attachments

• no1.jpg
    no1.jpg
    574.3 KB · Views: 60
  • no2.jpg
    no2.jpg
    478.7 KB · Views: 56
  • no3.jpg
    no3.jpg
    509.6 KB · Views: 51
  • no4.jpg
    no4.jpg
    602.7 KB · Views: 55
  • no5.jpg
    no5.jpg
    599.3 KB · Views: 80
Great reading Ken I also played for South Birmingham Schools in 1962/63 season, I was an honor to be selected as captain that season. We could have done with you as we played some great football but struggled to get the ball in the net.
50 years ago a lot of my old mates played for Waverly Gramme against Bartley Green school in the final of the Villa Cup. They are having a special luncheon at Villa Park on the 16th of May to celebrate them winning the historic trophy and have found all their players in the final team except for two players that have sadly passed away.

The 2 big problems that both teams above have is that we have no team photos for that year 1963, I searched high and low for any photos of the news papers of the day but found none. We know that photos where taken and would love to see any that any members may have. Have you any photos of schools football of your day? If anybody has some please down load to this thread please as they are very rare.

HI BOB
Thanks for your reply. The only 2 pics i have are of the 1949 Bteam ,and the team after i left. The date on the ball should have read 1951-52.
I can not remember any others being taken in the season when i scored my goals,or of South Bham team. After i left school i played for Knowle Town
and Sparkhill Premier in the old West Midland Aliance, and i can not remember one being taken,even when Sparkhill played at Villa Park,things are a
bit different now, they have one taken every week.
KEN

Attachments

• Copy of Fteam.jpg
    Copy of Fteam.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 85
  • img041.jpg
    img041.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 82
Hi Bob
Names are as follows 1949 team
B/R Colin Davis, Colin Darby, John Lane Dave Jones, Roy Perrins, Joe Kinman, Steve Pemberton, Mr Thomas
F/R George Haynes, Don Meylin, Ron Westwood, Ken Harris, ????
1951 Team
Gerry Bullock, George Haynes, John Lane, Dave Jones, Ron Westwood, Joe Kinman, Colin Davis, ????
F/R Roy Styler, Mr Bickmore, Trevor Thomas,Fred Woodley, Roy Rabone.
Some of the lads are on both pictures as they left at different times. I do have 2 more photos of 2 teams i played for after leaving
school before i joined Knowle Town, one is of Tyseley Youth Club, we played in a league for Bham youth clubs,the other is of Tynedale FC.
We only played friendly games. Both teams were made up of lads from both Formans Rd and Collage Rd schools .
KEN

team 1.jpgHI ROBERT
Here are the pictures and names as you asked for. TYNDALE FC
B/R Jim Mulvale, Colin Davis,Roy Partlett,Harry Gillette, Trevor Thomas, Malcome Salmons
F/R Roy Rabone, John Rabone,Maurice Underhill,??? ME KEN
TYSELEY Y.C Back Row ?Grattidge{trainer} Len Westwood{manager}Brian Goode
m/row Roy Kesterton John Lane, Colin Darby,Ron Westwood,John Mulvale
f/r Jim Mulvale, Trevor Thomas,ME, Harry Gillette,John Rabone, Billy Finnaghan
Hope this helps

Attachments

• team 2.jpg
    team 2.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 54
View attachment 85535HI ROBERT
Here are the pictures and names as you asked for. TYNDALE FC
B/R Jim Mulvale, Colin Davis,Roy Partlett,Harry Gillette, Trevor Thomas, Malcome Salmons
F/R Roy Rabone, John Rabone,Maurice Underhill,??? ME KEN
TYSELEY Y.C Back Row ?Grattidge{trainer} Len Westwood{manager}Brian Goode
m/row Roy Kesterton John Lane, Colin Darby,Ron Westwood,John Mulvale
f/r Jim Mulvale, Trevor Thomas,ME, Harry Gillette,John Rabone, Billy Finnaghan
Hope this helps

Hello Ken.

I know Harry Gillette from years ago from working at Met Cam...he's still on the go,he lives in Castle Bromwich now.

HI Dereckw
Thanks for your reply. I have not seen Harry since we all got called up for n/s, although i spoke to him on the phone many
years ago. We were having a school and team reunion but he did not come along. Should you see him ,give him my best wishes.
It is amazing how the same faces were on the different teams. I still see some of them at least once a year as some of us from our class
from Formans Rd still have a meet up, and keep intouch via this modern technology.
KEN

Hi All
Iam reposting this picture once again. In it my late uncle Fred Harris is seated on the front row sporting a different cap to the others.
The reason was that he had played for the Bham district, and the others only for South Bham schools team. This picture is the only proof
that he had been awarded it. After the picture was taken he left school and went down Formans Rd and caught the tram into Brum
to show his mom ,who used to sell the Bham Mail in the town, to help support here 6 children as she was a widow. On leaving the
tram he left the cap on it, never to be seen again. The county would not replace it. My question is ,did anyone get a cap for playing
for the district??? or has one from an old relative. When i played for South Bham in 1950-51 we did not get anything.
KEN Harris

Attachments

• 1926-1927 team.jpg
    1926-1927 team.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 64
Ken I am not sure when they stopped giving those loverly adorable caps with tassels, as in 1962/63 season I received 2 badges which I still cherish one for South B'ham Schools and the other for Warwickshire Schools which I presume superseded the B'ham District team, I would have preferred a cap to a badge.
What a fantastic team they where at Formans Road to win all those famous Schools Football Trophies, I wonder are all those trophies still played for??

Bob Summers

Bob
You must remember that a lot of the schools that took part in the competitions are no longer there, and those that are may not play football.
By the way Formans Rd won the Villa cup 1926/27/and 28 ,that came from my dad years ago. Ihave just posted a new picture on the site
Football Teams that are no longer here.
KEN

These are still my mates that won the Villa Cup in 1963 and what they are doing on the same date 50 years latter to the day to celebrate their Victory over Bartley Green School, Is there anyone on the forum who played for Bartley Green School??

VILLA CUP
WINNERS
50TH ANNIVERSARY
MAY 16TH 2013
Calling Messrs Ansell, Copson, Deathridge, Hardwick, Ladrooke, Parker, Roberts, Rowbotham, Simmonds, Ward, Wharton, Worrall (Sadly Messrs Barnet and Coupland are no longer with us)
May 16th 2013 is the 50th anniversary of a very talented Waverley Grammar school Senior Team winning the Villa Cup, the culmination of three years of brilliant success! You of course were a part of this success.
However, there’s something missing to remember that great event at Villa Park – a team photograph!
We can put that right and there’s not a better date to do it on than the 50th anniversary on May 16th.

The plan (final details yet to be published) is for us to meet up on the morning of the 16th, go on a brief visit to the old Camp Hill and Waverley Road schools, and then onto Villa Park where we shall have lunch and have our photograph taken with the original trophy.
Camp Hill, Waverley Road and Aston Villa have all been contacted and kindly agreed to participate.

THIS IS A ONE OFF THAT CAN NEVER BE REPEATED!

Hi BOB
Can you answer this question, you played for Waverley and South Bham. When i played 10 years previous these were the teams in South Bham.
Dennis RD,Collage Rd,Golden Hillock,Acocks Green,Pitmaston,Heartfield Crescent,Yardley Wood,Billsley and Formans RD.
When did Waverley become part of the South Bham group. Did they join as a new team ,or were they part of East Bham previous???
KEN

Ken
my mates played for Waverley Grammer School and mostly also my 1st Junior side South Yardley Armatures whom used to be the oldest Birmingham junior league team.
I went to Dennis Road Sec Mod. Sorry for any confussion!

PS. Ken I did meet your father Fred quite a few times over the years.

Back