• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Schools Football History / & photos

Hi Bob, I think HMS stood for Her Majestys Shield? But stand to be corrected. Yes I can name all of the guys,here goes 1st photo back row L-R: Alan Westmorland,Kevin O'Neil,Roger Drew,Alan (knocker) Brown,Roy(Nibo) Niblett,Billy Dayton, front row L_R: Keith Stanley,Micky Donald,Steven Broome,Alan Phillips,Frankie Watts. 2nd Photo back row L-R: Mr Piet(Headmaster),Alan Phillips,Leslie Jennings,Alan Brown,Roger Drew,Micky Donald,Mr Laing(sports master),front row L-R: Keith Stanley,Frankie Watts,Roy Niblett,Steven Broome,Billy Dayton,Kevin O,Neil. Sorry Bob Terry Wharton doesn't ring any bells. I'v a few more photos to post which i will do soon.

Me again Bob just had another look at your first post Queensbridge road team photo and noticed it was taken at the Moorlands,Moor Greens (now Solihull Moors) Ground. Brought back some good memories as i was at Moor Green from 1964 to 1967, Jackie Badham was the manager and his brother Horace was coach, I learnt a lot from both about the game.

This photo is Birmingham Boys intermediate team 1961/62 can name some of the guys Back row L-R: ?,? Gordon,Micky Donald,?,?,Jimmy Hartley,? Front Row L-R: Steven Broome,Roger Bradley,Frank Carsley(Lee Carsleys father),Michael Coogan,Roy Niblett.View attachment 70324

Hi Mickyd,

Did Steven Broom live in Arthur Street. If so he is most probably the son of Arthur Broom who was an old shipmate of mine. Arthur has now, sadly, passed away.

Old Boy

Hi Old Boy, I first knew Steven when I was 7 and he lived in the Holmes flats in Garrison Lane,he had two Brothers Billy & Kevin,I think his Fathers Name was William.

Dermot Bevan here. - You are wrong David ? - I played rugby for BG & held the school javelin record when in 4th year,
beating the 5th & 6th formers. As for football I was never given a chance by Mr Lunn . Bit of a story about that and I still feel annoyed about it, I've never forgotten it.

Hello there, Dermot.
What a pleasant surprise hearing from you again after all these years! How are you?
Firstly, welcome to the Forum. You’ll meet some very knowledgeable and fascinating people among its contributors. I hope you enjoy it.
Coming back to my post (#75), if you look again, you’ll see that it’s inserted into a thread with refers only to soccer. I can well remember your achievements with the javelin and on the rugger pitch, but my posting was in answer to Bob Summers’ comment in Post #73, “but I don't see Dermot on your photo?”
I wrote, “Bob, I'm afraid that Dermot - although very good - just wasn't up to the level of other boys that went on from junior schools to Bordesley Green Tech. I can't recall Dermot ever winning a place in the various BG Tech. School [football] teams. He was picked for his house side at different age levels but never - as far as I can remember - got into the school [football] team. I may be wrong.
Dermot's story runs parallel to mine: I played goalie for Bordesley Green Primary School, but on going to the Tech I found myself up against Malcolm Dudley, who was considered, nay, was, much better that I was.”

I hope you don’t feel offended. I was commenting on your footballing record. I even drew a comparison with my own experiences at The Tech.
Best wishes, David

PS I've reposted the two lost photographs in Posts #2 and #83 so that you can see our former yearmates. D.

Last edited:
Hi Bob - Dermot Bevan here. To whom am I mailing ?

Hello Dermot of Baker Street, Sparkhill, I am Robert Summers (or George) of Newton Road, played behind you in our great team or 1958 at English Martyrs Junior School. Have you lost a bit of your young memory? Welcome to the BHF, there are a lot of threads that I'm sure you will enjoy.
In my time Dermot you where a very Fine and tricky inside forward!! Did you see our old school photo with all the trophies we won together, shame we did not win in the Birmingham Catholic cup final, as I thought we more than shaved it and lost to a lucky goal?

View attachment 71330hi all
ATTACH]

Last edited:
Hello Robert or George whoever you are -yes my young memory has gone. Haven't a clue who you are. I don't think your
memory seems too hot either. As I recall I played right-back. Well in my head I did. As for the Catholic Cup that was against
St Anne's ( as I remember ) the pitch was a quagmire, they were used to playing on it, we just couldn't play our football in a mud bath. But as you say we only lost by the single goal. I still have my medals for the Junior Cup & th South B.ham Shield. Pity we never received any medal for winning the league. Still 'MANNERS MAKETH MAN'
Maybe my memory will recover , with time , though I doubt it. Take care

Hi David - Worry not I'm not offended by your comments at all. What annoyed me and even after all this time still sticks in my craw is what happened on the so called trial day for the football team. Supervised by the PE master Mr Lunn. Do you remember the trial that was on a Saturday morning at Yardley playing fields. I don't remember the date but we were very new at BG.Tech. Fags . ?
PS are you the David (Harry) that was in 'Grapefruit'?

No, Dermot, I'm not.
I - like you - changed my alliance very early on and started playing with the oval ball ….. I didn’t even get to the football trials. Do you remember our rugby-playing mates: John Roche, Mickey Overs, David Yorke, Joe Gaffney, Chris Murphy, Andy Weller et al.? Rochie became a priest and lives in California; Chris Murphy has retired to the south of France; Mickey Overs is fine and still lives in the Midlands.

I’ll send you a personal message with my email address. Got lots of things to say ….. if you’re interested.
Regards, David B.

Sunday_League_Team_28Original29_281240_x_97229.jpg

How many of these can you name? It was taken in about 1967; I played in goal but only as a stand-in. Dave Fowler (he was a year ahead of us at The Tech.) posted this photo in Post #6 on this thread and also sent me a copy. Dave is extreme left, kneeling. Nobby Clarke, extreme right, standing, spent eight days with me in mid-September. He's fine too.
If you type "Bordesley Green Technical School" into the search facility top right, you'll find a thread (five titles down) with 117 posts. db

Last edited:
My father in law played for Birmingham Boys circa 1921, where can I find information about Birmingham boys as opposed to the school teams? I have a photo of the team.

Nibby the only place you will find history of school's football is if you create it on this site. I also played Representative schools football in 1963 and there is nothing out there with regards Photos or historic text.
There is a Birmingham Schools site but it has no history details.
I did go to the B'ham library and spent a day looking at old Argus and pink reports and local sports news. This can be photoed at a cost.
But any history you have would be best posted to this thread or history will be lost I,m Afraid.

Re: Birmingham Schools Football History & Photos

jldell

John, I do not know your surname but I am sure I must know you as I played for Wardend for many years in the second team (a happier team than the first). I played in goal being 6-3 inches from about 1952-3 until mid 1960. Sadly many of the lads have passed on, my good friend Arthur Foden died last Xmas and he was there longer than me.

Dave Edwards

Hi Dave

All I recall is that we were Ward End Celtic playing in the Coronation Juvenile League (Under 18's). We were all aged 15 and from Ward End, Erdington and Washwood Heath. We played our home games on the sports field just along from what is now Heartlands Hospital. I can remember playing against teams like Brookfield Colts and Sheldon Heath Social. I wasn't really aware of the background of the club but for all I know, we could have been the junior side for a senior club. My cousin Bob Keef got me to join in 1959 and I played for BGTS on Saturday mornings and Ward End Celtic on Sunday afternoons. Some of the other players names were Micky Black, Kenny Jordan, Ray Fincham, Roger Evans, Jimmy Orr, Keith Bright, Teddy Hopson and Neil Casey. From what you say, I think you may be a few years older than me but I would be interested to know if you still think there may be some connection between our teams.

Cheers

Johnny

Back