• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Schools Football History / & photos

Hi Jean'

Somerville Road is in Small Heath off Muntz Street. Allcock Street is or was, I believe, in Deritend off the High Street but I stand to be corrected. The Oaklands is, or was, at the Yardley end of Hobmoor Road. It is mentioned in the Balloon Barrage thread if my memory is correct

Chris,

Here you go, Jean .....

View attachment 61267
The_Oaklands.JPG

Last edited:
I've played footie too at the Oaklands. Henry Road junior school playing fields and Belchers Lane the seniors.

View attachment 61258 Another one of Hubby taken on the roof of Gower St School.

Nice photo Topsy, i was there the year before it was taken ( I was asked to go to Harry Lucas LOL ). The teacher was Mr Williams i think he was a scout master and the most viscous Bee i have been given the stick by, nasty man. Max

Hi David and all posters about Oaklands Rec & Henry Rd Playing Field, the entrance on Coventry Rd had tennis courts on the left and a Sons of Rest meeting hut, as you walked on the ground sloped down to Hobmoor Rd on flat piece approx middle right in WW2 a emplacement of a Battery of 3.7in Anti Aircraft Guns was set up, the entrance in Church was under guard and on the right were the huts were the Gunners & ATS girls lived, Henry Rd schools playing field was still in use because it was fenced off from Rec from when it opened, The Post & Mail sports field was at the top of The Causeway, i lived by The Swan Inn, if any one has photos of The Causeway please post them. Len.

Here is a team photo and school photo. The team photo is from Birchfield road 57/58. The school photo is birhchfield a couple of years later

Hi Johnny. Pete said fifth from the left. I spotted you right away. Pete named quite a few but he said "Do you think that is Kenny Martin next to him"?.the crease in the photo is going through his face. Jean.

I hope you don't mind Topsyturvy, but i have tried to improve the wonderful photo of Lozells St Photo. Max

Hi David, My memories of The Causeway are of houses/cottage type both side of the road with The Post & Mail Sports ground at the top of the road, on the right hand side was a Primitive Methodist Church on the corner of The Causeway/Church Rd there was`nt any burials there, the caretaker looked after the large grounds very well and the congregation held garden parties there, the grounds approx 120yards long ended at the at the Church Rd entrance to Oaklands Recreation ground. Len.

db84124, Hello David, Re your aerial photo on the corner of Holder Rd/Hobmoor Rd a new school has been built as a replacement for Yew Tree School which was behind The Yew Tree Pub that looks like in the photo, how recent is the photo?. Len.

Last edited:
Len so there were two Yew Tree schools and pubs then?. Jean.
Yes Jean, The Yew Tree pub with Yew Tree School behind it a new school has been built to replace it on the corner of Hobmoor Rd/Holder Rd, are in the place known as The Yew Tree shopping area it is not far in one direction from Blakesley Hall and The Swan island & its on No 11 outer circle bus route. Len.

Last edited:
Thanks Len I think we passed coming through Stechford and going on to the Swan Island to Lyndon Road. Don't know that side much only Acocks Green Bowl. Jean.

Sorry I have got my facts wrong ( will kick off with my mates school Queensbridge Road who had a great team in 1962 and 1963 when they won the Victoria Shield & South B'ham league 1 in 1962.
Queensbridge lost 0-2 to Moseley Modern who where captained by a cracking lad & player, whom should have been a pro Dave Harrison. I wonder where he is now?
Any one have a photo of that team?

View attachment 75313Football Team And Girls netballteam  Eng Martyrs 1958.jpg
Here is a photo of my Junior footy team English Martyrs (Sparkhill) taken in 58/59 season, we won the South Birmingham junior league and the Shield. We lost 1-2 in the Catholic Birmingham Shield against ?? can,t remember school probably St Philip's which was our only defeat all season. Here we are taken with our girls net ball team.
Some great players where Eugenie Reynolds, Johnny Mullen, Dermot Bevan, Tommy Burns, Micky Floody, Johnnie Griffin, Joey Hendrie, Roland & Tommy Dukes, Connie Scully, Micky Ward, Hugh Evans. The head master Mr Barr and teachers Mr. Donnaley & I think Mrs Dawson.
I am sitting far right with the semi-crew hairstyle and wonky glasses, wish I could have one now LOL!!

Back