• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Schools Football History / & photos

Thanks Bob and what a shame for your friend and those young lads. This happened to a girl I coached when she went on the town with a group of friends and their car lost control on the way home and they were all killed. So sad. Jean.

Yew tree road school football team. The other is the athletics team. Jean.

Hello there, Jean, long time, no 'c' (communication ??!?). Excuse me, Jean, but are you sure it's the school's football team in your photo? Their attire seems to be more like that of a gymnastics team; and the goalie and centre forward making up the eleven are enormous! Best wishes, D. [Wink!]

jean re yew tree road football team are you sure that the photo of a football looks like a sports team of some sort can ,T see our frankie on there but he may of played the wag that day j harris

Hey Johnny you may be right. Your Frankie playing the wag. I would never have guessed?. This photo was sent from someone off friends re united who has now joined the forum. Sent it to Keith Scrivvens and he has named a few of the lads. Will go back to the post and see if I can name them?.

These are most certainly school football team photo's. One of Handsworth Grammer and the other Yew Tree Road school. Jean.

jean you asked earlier was ken martin in the school football team .the answer is no to be honest i cannot remember him ever kicking a ball even in akick around but imay be wrong jhaaris

You couldn't have put it better Johnny. He was Pete's mate for some years after he left school though?. Is your Ken on post 26?. Albert is the one in the middle with the ball. Jean.

I Think you might find this site interesting in 1950Aldridge rddrew with Waverly Rd in the Villa cup and we beat Upper Thomas st at Ellisons ground I believe perry Barr our star player was Gerrald Carver who went on to play for Notts County he lived onthe Pheasey as did the goalie a Philip Maycock Our centrehalf was a Johnny Gavin from the Beeches I heard that he had trials for Boldmere St Micheals the sports master was a mr Caulton .one amusing memory from this sucess the school laid on a party for the school teams ,the next morning at assembly in the main hall filled with all the boys Daddy Haskell ( music teacher )sat at the piano about to play his intro to the hymms we were about to sing Headmaster leaning on his rosstrum and some awful noise comming from the piano all eyes were on mr Haskell whose head barely showed above the piano as he proceeded to remove some 20/25 bottles of Pop which somebody had nicked at the party https://www.footiemag.net/bssf/honours.asp?id=3 Tom

Tom thats a great link, Thanks.

I wish we could find more detail, but the list of all schools trophy winners is excellent.

I wish they had listed the loseing teams and the score.

Church Rd School, Infants, Junior & Senior forms, Football teams circa 1919/1920?, now know as Harvey Road Primary School,Yardley. Len.

Last edited:
Good morning, Len, I imagine your second photograph was taken at the Oaklands Playing Fields, given that the school was just across Church Road. I can't remember a mound of earth that end of the park. It's as if the photo was taken in Holder Road, not far from the old pavilion. Any ideas? David

Lencops_s_Football_team.jpg

I suppose the trees could be the coppice between the school and The Causeway and the goalposts you can make out behind the trees those of the independent, isolated pitch which, if I remember correctly, belonged to the Post and Mail in the 60's/70's.

Last edited:
Hi All,

I played for Somerville Road Junior School in the 1930s but, sadly, have no photographs. Could Lens photo have been taken in Henry Road Playing Fields which is where we played. It was behind The Oaklands.
The team I dreaded playing was Allcock Street. They always thrashed us.

Old Boy

Back