• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Schools Football History / & photos

bobsummers

Gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
1962  Victoria Shield Winners.jpgI have started this thread, as there is no notable history on this subject.Who was in your school team. Whom won the Villa Cup and in what year? Who played in the districted school Representative sides such as B'ham Boys, Erdington Boys, South B'ham Boys, Aston and District Boys. Whom went on to become a pro footballer?

If we don't post this knowledge it will be lost forever, as there is very little or no history on line, there is some detail from the old Mail, Dispatch and Argus kept in the central library but it takes hours to research and find.

I will kick off with my mates school Queensbridge Road who had a great team in 1962 and 1963 when they won the Victoria Shield & South B'ham league 1 in 1962.

Hello there, bob,
I go along with all you've said ...... and I'll give the ball another shove. Here's my contribution. It's the Bordesley Green Tech. team of 1960/61 and it shows eleven of my contemporaries plus the master who trained the team. I could send in a photograph which shows all their names ...... I remember them all. David

Picture1.jpg

Last edited:
i went a school called birchfield road perry barr and we had a team 58/57 that won every thing that could be won that season we won birmingham schools f a cup the aston schools cup called the homer cup and the league were in the evening despatch under the heading school boys man united they were going for three trophies that year season 57/58 ihave a photo iwill try and put it on when i have the know how ican still name every one in the picture please excuse any mistakes jharris

Hi John I think there is a thread Birchfield road school where there are photo's of your schools football teams but they would be about three years after you left. Pete is looking forward to seeing your photo. TTFN. Jean.

jean nice to hear from you pete was in my class so he can tell you i would not have the brains tobe able to put these photos on i have one with him on it jharris

Following on from David re: BGTS team, here's 1 plus the Sunday league team we formed from the VERY successful school team. I notice there's a flying right winger pictured top left on the school photo and again bottom left on the Sunday team. Plus, I have to say, a big butch goalie 4th from the left on the Sunday team. Probably DB!!!
BGTS_First_Eleven_1964_65.jpg

Sunday_League_Team_281240_x_97229.jpg

Last edited:
David nice photo what was the school name and who played? they all look very big lads to me.

I would prefer that folks only put school teams on this thread, thanks

Bob, it was Bordesley Green Technical School. We did have a big defence coupled with a few of us wimpy - but quick - forwards. David Benbow was the butch goalie on the Sunday team. I only put that pic on because it was mainly the same team as the school one, I thought it was relevant.

Last edited:
Here's another one, bob. This is Bordesley Green Junior School 1st Eleven 1958/59. We were averagely successful but I can't recall having won any trophies.
What I do remember is picking the ball out of the back of the net in a game against Alston Road Junior School TEN times! They were a one-man team; a massive lad with red hair - John Pennington - either made or scored nearly all of them. A year later, I had the pleasure of playing in the same team as my humiliator. He, like me, went to Bordesley Green Tech. John appears in the photo I posted above (Post #2); he's the lad with the ball between his feet. Truly a gifted player. I lost track of John when he left school in 1963, but he could very well have gone on to even greater things on a soccer pitch. David

Football_1st_Eleven_1958.JPG

PS Thanks for the adjective, Winger. I'll never pass the ball to you again !!!

Last edited:
I went to the 1973 (probably) final at Villa Park as a Great Barr teacher supporting our team in the Villa Cup Final versus St George's Newtown who had a famous (now) player - Gordon Cowans. It was a draw and the cup was shared. I did the same thing later when my school, Alderlea of Shard End, won the final at Bodymoor Heath. Also attended Trevor Gill finals (U-14) at Villa Park supporting my next school - Heart of England, Balsall.

Great photo's the two Davids. Johny Pete said "If he can do it you can" and he does not agree that you had no brains in fact far from it. Right. Here are the names Pete thinks were on your football team photo or school photo. Barry Fenwick. Colin Holder. Martin Lane. Yourself. Oh God. I think the last one means he can't remember any more for now?. Jean.

jean the full team were tony davis david dearne macdonald barry fenwick alan latham jharris ronthurston bob iverson colin withers colin holder martin lane teacher harry davenhill jean ron thurston lived in holte road all the players from yew tree road made up the team five of us something to beproud of i;LL GET MY SON TO TRY AND POST THESE PHOTO,s unless ican get them to you some way i have copies so you can keep the one that pete is on j harris

Thanks Johnny. You were all good footballers the Harris boys. If you message me and leave your e.mail address I will forward the photo's of Ken and us little urchins on. It was Hutton Rangers team I believe?. Pete said thanks and will sort something out when all this white stuff has gone. Hope your son can put them on the forum in between though?.

Last edited:
jean you have surprised me about ron marrying helel shapiro i spoke to him last year after putting that article of the football team in the sunday mercury he lives inportsmouth now ihave is phone number somewhere jharris

Lorraine Nixon told me a while back. Not in touch with her anymore but maybe he was kidding her. She had met up with her next door but one neighbour whose name I can't remember at the moment?. Just thought. It was Jeffrey Sutton. We were invited to Kenny Martins birthday party a few years ago but didn't go. Was he in the football team?.

What a great achievement Alan, you must have been very proud of your teams. Have you got the photos to post? It so sad to hear that they no longer play for the Villa Cup at Villa Park.

1962 63 Dennis Road Sec Mod.jpg
Here is my School team Dennis Road 1962/3 season. I can't remember al the names if any one can add the blanks. We managed to struggle through to the quarter finals of the Villa Cup , but our master Mr Jones gave the tie away to St Philips whom I think played Waverley Grammer in the final at Villa Park. A lot of my mates played for Waverley who won the trophy that year. Would you beleive it that none of my friends who played have any photo's of them lifting the Cup.

Back L to R: Louy Gallantti, ----, ------, ------,Barrie Tustin, Lenny Cox, ------,------.
Front L to R: -----, Mr Taffy Jones, me Bob Summers, -------,------, Ken Everitt.

Yew tree road school football team. The other is the athletics team. Johnny is Frankie on the photo?. Jean. Gerrald Burrows ?????? Hemmings ??????Hart Terry Young and Michael Kennedy. Bottom photo.

Last edited:
Jean

Yes he does look like Kenny Everitt!!

Lenny Cox middle top actually played base guitar for the Brum Group "The King Bee's" and played at most of the clubs in Brum mid 60's to mid 70's.

But unfortunately tragically, I believe Barrie Tustin died in a car crash with 3 other young boy's in the early 70's in Sparkhill.

Back