• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Schools Football History / & photos

I attended Kings Norton Grammar School for Boys 1964-1969 and we had a great team and we managed to win just about all of the major trophies including The Villa Cup (1968) and the Birmingham City Cup (1969). I played on representative sides for kings Norton, Warwickshire, Birmingham & District and went on the England Schoolboys squad. Later played as apprentice for the Sky Blues but left to run my father's scrap metal business.

Attachments

• 1968 Villa Cup.jpg
    1968 Villa Cup.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 36
Hi, I think I know the captain ( with the ball ), it may be you, but I can't remember his name , it'll come back to me. I played, with him ? , in the Birmingham Schools U18 team ? 1967 ish. I played in the previous years team with Pennicut, Cridley, Glynn et al. If I'm right, he pointed out to the manager, at the time the Kings Norton School 'manager' that he hadn't listed me in the selected players after the trials and he didn't believe him but checked and put it right, so another great week at Butlins, Bobnor Regis. Sorry, freudian slip....Bognor Regis

Last edited:
Just as a contribution.

I went to Pheasey County Secondary Modern which , in fact, iis n Staffordshire. Back in the day as we were (and still is) border landers - we never knew whether to speak Black Country or Brummie - we played in the Aston Schools League. This made complete sense as we were 2 miles or so from the many North Bham schools in (now) Kinsgstanding Birchfield, Beeches etc, while an away fixture in Staffs would have taken us to Aldridge, Walsall, Pelsall etc, a day trip in those days. I cannot recall any honours for the team or individual players, 1959-64.

I was a left half (No 6 for the unknowing) with a Dick Neal (BCFC) attitude to defence and attack. I am sure I still carry life time injuries from those times! I went on to play for some Sunday Festival League youth teams but was never a regular selection despite my exquisite skills as a 'caggy' footer!

So, I took up refereeing and have the honour of sending off a player on 30 seconds of a game for foul and abusive language. Birmingham parks - Aldridge Road, Perry Hall, Perry Barr, Kingstanding etc and no doubt all Birmingham Parks recs., had a strict ruling about bad language in public parks that may influence children to swear and adults to be upset. I officiated in BHam Works (Sat) and Festival League (a.m. and p.m.). Crickey! I must have been fit. Occasionally refereed Wednesday afternoons - markets and showmen teams league. I reached Level 2 but in moving away was unable to tread the path to Wembley or the World Cup and retired gracefully at 24. I did once line at Villa Park back in the day when Villa took on Blues in a City Cup friendly pre-season. No, not lining in this match but a short game of 15 yr olds before the big match. as we finished our game there was 30,000 in the ground. Great experience!

My cousin, however John Ostins - Cardinal Wiseman, the kind of dominating centre half that was around in those days, played for Aston Schools and later played for Aston Villa Amateurs but declined and offer to join Walsall as a pro as he and family felt that the security of a 9-5 job was paramount. John went on to play for clubs in the Festival Sunday
League.

Now, wheres my Thunderer whistle!! (made in Birmingham)
Sorry this relates to Bob Summer's first ever post on the thread, a little late to reply, I know but I have only just seen the picture on his post. I know Ray Howell because we used to play knockabout in Highbury Park, Ray ,myself and my brother Ray South who Bob Summers would have known with his close friendship and connection with the players at Waverley Grammar, Ray, Dave Cook ' Terry Wharton etc. Anyway, and I might be putting myself out on a limb but I seem to remember Ray Howell having a weal/scar on his shin/calf, no idea why and I could be wrong .... it was a long time ago

Last edited:
Just clearing out a few things and came across some of my old sporting medals from my school days at Sheldon Heath comp and also a few from my Sunday football team. Some might have won similar ones back in the day
Hi Ritchie what happened to the rest . You'll have to have another clear out

Hey Bobrob, as an underage player I played against some of these guys. Our u/18 were short of a player, I think I was 15 and John Chambers asked me to help out. Played at your place on Hob Moor Rd I think. Hard game. Barry Ansell is one I remember he was a good player as was our Johnnie Chambers, I think they both went on to play for the Villa at some level. But the question is where were you Bobrob ?

I went to the brand new (at the time) Ley Hill Primary School (opened I954), and we played Rathvilly at both football and cricket. Rathvilly was a private school as I recall, on the Bunbury Rd. Gil Merrick taught sport at Greenmore College, another private school, which was in Priory Rd just up the hill from the Warwickshire county cricket ground. Both schools are long since closed.

Hi, I think I know the captain ( with the ball ), it may be you, but I can't remember his name , it'll come back to me. I played, with him ? , in the Birmingham Schools U18 team ? 1967 ish. I played in the previous years team with Pennicut, Cridley, Glynn et al. If I'm right, he pointed out to the manager, at the time the Kings Norton School 'manager' that he hadn't listed me in the selected players after the trials and he didn't believe him but checked and put it right, so another great week at Butlins, Bobnor Regis. Sorry, freudian slip....Bognor Regis
You are correct. I am the player with the ball. The manager was from Kings Norton District but I don't recall his name (Eric Rough maybe?) What is your full name Bob?

You are correct. I am the player with the ball. The manager was from Kings Norton District but I don't recall his name (Eric Rough maybe?) What is your full name Bob?
My name is Bob South. Waverley Grammar School. I have some memory of meeting up with you ? or whoever a long time afterwards and I have no idea why but perhaps at Billesley Common but that does seem a little bizarre. What's your full name, I'll know it if you're whom I'm thinking about. I nearly get the name but it slips away again but it will stick one day soon

Last edited:
Hi Bobrob and Grahpack 195, of course I know Bobrob very well but Grahpack maybe you I think were in the Birmingham u/18 team for a while and then not. If you are the guy I remember you went to KN Grammar and was a particularly skilful player and I recall playing with you in some team or other. I still have these photos from way back

Attachments

• 1967 Bognor.pdf
    237.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 1969 Bognor.pdf
    406 KB · Views: 8
Bognor Regis 1968, sorry for the crap photo. The player I'm thinking of is 3 left on the bottom row, FNQBrummi is 3 right top row and I'm 2 right top row, obviously better looking than 3 right but the less said about that the better. Re the 1969 photo , I was going to say that the only player I recognize apart from Richie ,3 left bottom row , was 2 right bottom row but I know why now because he was in the 1968 team but I don't remember his name. But could be a " chubby " Alan Jones on top far right who was also in the 1968 team. Apologies, Alan, if it is you

Attachments

• WIN_20200501_12_08_21_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20200501_12_08_21_Pro.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
My name is Bob South. Waverley Grammar School. I have some memory of meeting up with you ? or whoever a long time afterwards and I have no idea why but perhaps at Billesley Common but that does seem a little bizarre. What's your full name, I'll know it if you're whom I'm thinking about. I nearly get the name but it slips away again but it will stick one day soon
Graham Packer and I attended Kings Norton Grammar

Hi Graham, if you could kindly look at the photo I posted yesterday, thursday, 10.44pm Bognor 1968. Are you the player 3rd on the left bottom row because he's the lad I'm thinking about but your name doesn't ring any bells and I'm ( usually ) very good with names.

Bognor Regis 1968, sorry for the crap photo. The player I'm thinking of is 3 left on the bottom row, FNQBrummi is 3 right top row and I'm 2 right top row, obviously better looking than 3 right but the less said about that the better. Re the 1969 photo , I was going to say that the only player I recognize apart from Richie ,3 left bottom row , was 2 right bottom row but I know why now because he was in the 1968 team but I don't remember his name. But could be a chubby Alan Jones on top far right who was also in the 1968 team
Hi Bob. No that isn't me. It certainly is interesting looking for old teammates though. Take care

Hi Grame, thanks for letting me know. I think you'll find that he went to KNG as well but 2 maybe 3 years ahead of you . I presume that he will have been their captain at the time too ; your predecessor ?? Will do, Look after yourself too in these difficult times. Bye

You're right Ritchie , that's his name. I'll work on his first name , it'll come back to me at some point, played for KNG, I'm sure......Thanks......hope you're enjoying the sunshine :cool: Ian Chandler ??? mmm, not sure ,but that's all I'm getting at the moment, I'll keep at it

Last edited:
youre right Ian Chandler was his name. Yes i am enjoying the 33degrees at present, classed as cool up here, cant wait for summer lol.

I reckon Grahpack was a couple of years younger than us Bob but I'm sure I played with or against him somewhere along the line-maybe Sunday football or something

Following on from David re: BGTS team, here's 1 plus the Sunday league team we formed from the VERY successful school team. I notice there's a flying right winger pictured top left on the school photo and again bottom left on the Sunday team. Plus, I have to say, a big butch goalie 4th from the left on the Sunday team. Probably DB!!!
BGTS_First_Eleven_1964_65.jpg

Sunday_League_Team_281240_x_97229.jpg

“Big butch goalie is a bit over the top”. I played for BGTS under 13,s in 58-59, And 59-60. One or the other. I still have the medals. We were the first team to win both the Federation Cup and the Birmingham Schools final at Henry Road Playing fields. Mr Williams was in charge and I remember him feeding us Dextrosol before the extra time period in the Federation Cup, during which I made a great save pushing the ball onto the post and collecting the rebound. We won 2-1.
Other players I remember were, John Allen, Laurie Paterson, Tony Owen, Roger Morgan, Toby Jones. I remember Dave Fowler in the later years, mainly because on he and John Holden owned cars when in the sixth form.
Great days which continued through school and the onwards to the BGTSOB team that had success in either the Birmingham Coronation league or Jubilee league…..I can’t remember exactly. We played teams such as Mackadown Rovers, and another rival that I don’t remember but for whom John Whittle played in goal. John used to live next to me when I was in primary.
Glebe Farm rec was a frequent venue for our Sunday Games
Kind regards
Tony Annis

I insert an unconventional pic (succumbed to the lure of colourisation), of a very non-league team, though I'd think these chaps would be in a league of their own. From about 1922 by a great-uncle, just passing - I'm sure the boys asked him to take their photo, & arranged themselves into this charming group. He lived in Bankes Rd, Small Heath & they must be young budding Brummy footballers - some of them, perhaps!

Attachments

• boys,col.jpg
    boys,col.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 33
I don't know about the likeness! You used to wear specs as I remember Bobrob and I feel you should get your eyes tested-Specsavers are good or the French equivalent

Ok, I've posted this in another section and it should be in here really, I'll put names to it if anyone recognises themselves.
Its St Thomas of Canterbury school ,Erdington aka The Abbey.

Click on the pick at the bottom

Attachments

• school team.jpg
    school team.jpg
    923.4 KB · Views: 29
Back