• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Safety First Council: Another Fd from My Loft

Michael_Ingram

gone but not forgotten
Below is a medal that belonged to my father. He worked as a bus driver from the 20s till the mid 50s. He drove the number 72 mainly in the 40s and 50s.
The date of the medal is 1933 and the bars read 'Birmingham Safety First Council Sixth Year' up to the '...Ninth Year'

Michael you are so lucky having all of these lovely medals, the only thing I have is my dads services watch.

Below is a medal that belonged to my father. He worked as a bus driver from the 20s till the mid 50s. He drove the number 72 mainly in the 40s and 50s.
The date of the medal is 1933 and the bars read 'Birmingham Safety First Council Sixth Year' up to the '...Ninth Year'
Hi Michael, I have several of these medals
belonging to my Dad who worked as a Carter for the GWR did you know they had safe driving awards for a Hoss+cart?, My first one dates 1929 up to 1946, I havent got a digital camera yet, I will show them on the forum eventually Bernard.

I did Bernie I've just posted on the other tread that's running on the same subject, my Grandfather was a carter for the Birmingham Council ( Horse & Cart) they called the cart something like Tumble it had to large wheels only. He won two awards.:)

Hi Michael, what I found interesting was his second award 1930 was the year I was born, a long, long
time ago. I passed my driving test at Burton in 1958 and drove til my retirement from Royal Mail in 1995,
I also passed my HGV at Leicester in 1970, so we have a few medals between us, cheers now.
Bernard

Back