• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Pubs 1880

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
In 1880 Birmingham had an amazing number of pubs
Including fifteen red Lions, and three Black Lions,
Fouteen white Swans, eleven , and four Swans with two Necks,
TwoDogs snd two Dogs and Duck as well as three red cows, four Behives and two Eagles,
There was no Partridge in a Pear Tree, But there was Six Dogs And Partridges,

I always smile when I see the words "red cow". One branch of my ancestors came from Devon and the first census record of them is living in "Red Cow Yard in Dale End". I have no idea what that would be like but it conjures up a picture of tatty outbuildings!

Janice. No picture of yard , but here is where it was, behind the Red cow

Attachments

• map c 1889 showing red cow yard dale end.jpg
    map c 1889 showing red cow yard dale end.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 19
Thanks Mike - much bigger than I expected so perhaps it was more than just an old outbuilding. Just checked their 1861 entry and there seem to be 3 families listed in the yard. Seem to be several pub names as the Old Red Cow is followed by Royal Exchange and then Star Inn . Anyway they had moved by the next census in 1871 to Inge Street just down from the Back to Backs.

Back