• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Post and Mail war memorial

Chris
Just read the very interesting article in the Birmingham Post you mentioned in particular about the men who went war from Birmingham. Thank you for your contribution to it.

I have been helped in my family history research by the information from the Long Long Trail website about my Birmingham canal boatmen ancestors who were part of the war effort in moving goods and equipment. It helped me understand that their work was as valuable to the war effort as if they had been fighting. More of my boatmen ancesters did join up and were unfortunately killed in WW1.

I am very grateful for the work of yourself and others who are activeley recording history and the stories of the lives of those brave people who fought in the wars and publishing it so that it will be preserved and available for future generations to read.

I hope your website will be one of those digitalised by the Birminghm Library project so it can be preserved for the future.

Louisa

Chris as Louisa says such a fascinating article. I am still amazed at what we don't know. I well remember the time I visited the area of the Somme a few years ago. I can honestly say I don't think any visit to any place had the effect on me this visit had at one point I was completely numb.

This time of the year always starts me off researching again and I have just found another distant relative who died in the Great War.

You have been a great help to me in the past with my research. I also agree with Louisa your website should be digitised and saved for future generations to see. Chris thank you for all your hard work.

Back