• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Photos - Help & Expertise Needed Please.

Lady Penelope

master brummie
I recently visited an old friend to help her sort out her photos, there seemed to be hundreds of them and among the holiday and family snapshots there were nine A4 prints of photographs which I know I have seen on the forum. I would really appreciate it if anyone could help me with details of these pictures please.

Pat0001.jpg No. 1 - Victoria Square with Christchurch on the right but who are the statues of and what date would this be? Victoria hasn't appeared yet so what was the square called when this was taken?

Pat0002.jpg No. 2 - The Drovers Arms. I seem to remember that this was in Dudley Street but where do you think the photographer was positioned? Is this a market area and what might have been in the basket carts. There seem to be feathers on the ground. Again any help with the date please?

Pat0003.jpg No. 3 - Another view of Victoria Square and the Council House. Are the two statues either side of Victoria the same as in No. 1? Must be later but how much later?

Pat0004.jpg No. 4 - Just the date and statues please. Would this have been taken from the town hall?

Not sure how much I can post at one time so I'll do the rest as two separate posts.

Pat0005.jpg No. 5 - The Town Hall. Paradise Street and Congreve Street? Just the date and position of the photographer please? Would he have been in the Post Office?

Pat0006.jpg No. 6 - Corporation Street. This looks later than the previous photos but can anyone tell me what the banner was for and what the building with the cross (or what seems to be a cross) is on the left hand side about where Rackham's was please?

Pat0007.jpg No. 7 - Just the date on this one please - unless anyone can spot anything else.

Last three:

Pat0008.jpg No. 8 - not very well up on trains but presumable New Street station. Any information including date please?

Pat0010.jpg No. 9 - I love this picture of New Street. Are they building something next to the grammar school? Also, has anyone any idea what the shadow at the right hand corner spells? I presume the photographer was in one of the shops in High Street? Again, approximate date would be welcome.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can supply any of the answers to my questions. I know my friend Pat will be grateful too.

No 2 The Drovers Arms
Posted by Dennis Wlliams says it's 1887

I recently visited an old friend to help her sort out her photos, there seemed to be hundreds of them and among the holiday and family snapshots there were nine A4 prints of photographs which I know I have seen on the forum. I would really appreciate it if anyone could help me with details of these pictures please.

View attachment 142677 No. 1 - Victoria Square with Christchurch on the right but who are the statues of and what date would this be? Victoria hasn't appeared yet so what was the square called when this was taken?

View attachment 142678 No. 2 - The Drovers Arms. I seem to remember that this was in Dudley Street but where do you think the photographer was positioned? Is this a market area and what might have been in the basket carts. There seem to be feathers on the ground. Again any help with the date please?

View attachment 142679 No. 3 - Another view of Victoria Square and the Council House. Are the two statues either side of Victoria the same as in No. 1? Must be later but how much later?

View attachment 142680 No. 4 - Just the date and statues please. Would this have been taken from the town hall?

Not sure how much I can post at one time so I'll do the rest as two separate posts.
I believe that Robert Peel MP was outside the council house before it was removed to Tally Ho Pershore road.

They are all very interesting old photos and many seem to have been taken around the same period of time.
Photo 8 shows the North Western Railway side of New Street Station, I believe. The other railway, Midland, had the other side of the station. They were formed into the LMS in 1923.

Last edited:
Number 6 is some sort of music festival. I think the "cross" might St. Philip's Cathedral?
Rosie, Thanks - I don't think that it's St Philip's as that's quite a way further back and it has a globe and boars head on the weather vane but thanks for the info on the banner.

Last edited:
Part answer to no. 1 Council House Square - no idea about the statues.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victoria_Square,_Birmingham#History
Thanks Janice, I suppose it's obvious really - just a bit slow these days! I hadn't really thought about what it was called before Victoria's statue was erected. I wonder what it was before the Council House was erected or was it just Ann Street. I can work out the date from the information you posted as her statue was only marble for a short while before it was cast in bronze.

They are all very interesting old photos and many seem to have been taken around the same period of time.
Photo 7 shown the North Western Railway side of New Street Station, I believe. The other railway, Midland, had the other side of the station. They were formed into the LMS in 1923.
Thanks for that information Radiorails. As I said, I'm not really very good at trains.

View attachment 142677 No. 1 - Victoria Square with Christchurch on the right but who are the statues of and what date would this be? Victoria hasn't appeared yet so what was the square called when this was taken?

View attachment 142678 No. 2 - The Drovers Arms. I seem to remember that this was in Dudley Street but where do you think the photographer was positioned? Is this a market area and what might have been in the basket carts. There seem to be feathers on the ground. Again any help with the date please?

View attachment 142679 No. 3 - Another view of Victoria Square and the Council House. Are the two statues either side of Victoria the same as in No. 1? Must be later but how much later?

View attachment 142680 No. 4 - Just the date and statues please. Would this have been taken from the town hall?

Lady P the Statue nearest to us is Joseph Priestley I believe no date though I'm sorry

Isn't No 7 Snow hill station ??
Yes it is. I should have quoted photo 8 (now amended). Too many pics to consider at once I guess. :confused:
Regarding the trams in post 7, outside Snow Hill station.
These were 1904 built trams, built for City of Birmingham Tramways (pre dating the Corporation) originally open topped. There were various ones in this class but the cars in the photo appear to be those which got top covers in 1923/4 Routes 24 and 25 were from Colmore Row to Lozells 24 was anti-clockwise, 25 clockwise. 24 was curtailed at Villa Cross in 1935, both routes withdrawn in 1939 and replaced by bus route 69. The area in front of the station was changed, as far as I know, with the introduction of the one-way system in Colmore Row in 1933. The 24/25 stop was moved to Livery Street and I guess it was then that the once familiar tram shelters were constructed there They do not appear in photo 7.

Last edited:
Thank you for that Williamstreeter. With your help we now have L-R Priestley, Victoria and Peel. He must have been moved to make way for Albert but where is Albert now?

Lady P after some nosing , I've found out Priestley's statue is a 1951 recast in bronze . The original statue was in white marble and it was unveiled 1874 , the present statue was removed from Victoria square in the 1970's relocated to Chamberlain square .

A post of 8th. October 2019 shows and mentions this photo The information concerns the steam tram.

PS: In view of a recent mix-up with post numbers (due possibly to merged threads ) I believe it wiser to quote a date instead. ;)

Thanks to everyone. I know my friend will be pleased to learn all the information. I didn't want to misinform her and I've learned lots of things myself.
Radiorails - yes, in hindsight it might have been better to post the photos one at a time, sorry.

Photo 1 shows a superb full frontal view of Christ Church, I do not recall seeing a photo like that before.
On the roofs of many building are poles - photos 1 and 4. Far too early for tv aerials :D so I guess they are flag poles.

Radiorails - Thanks for pointing out the flagpoles on Photo 1. I hadn't spotted them before. I didn't think I'd seen this photo before either but thought I may just have missed it. I did however notice the chimneys in the distance on Picture 2.

View attachment 142681 No. 5 - The Town Hall. Paradise Street and Congreve Street? Just the date and position of the photographer please? Would he have been in the Post Office?

View attachment 142682 No. 6 - Corporation Street. This looks later than the previous photos but can anyone tell me what the banner was for and what the building with the cross (or what seems to be a cross) is on the left hand side about where Rackham's was please?

View attachment 142683 No. 7 - Just the date on this one please - unless anyone can spot anything else.

Lady P The building no6 with the cross is The Cobden Hotel after going through pics and pics of Brum I finally found a pic with just this hotel on yippee I'm chuffed to bits to have found that , although I was looking for Historic pics of Corporation St
it might be easier if you search on WWW.architecture.com

I think that these are prints from the Warwickshire photographic survey :

Back