• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Photos 2012

Thanks for these pictures Bernard, I really like that tram pic in post #27. Also the ornamental tower in the 4th pic in post #1 - what building was it ?
oldmohawk...:encouragement:

hi There Mo, when I first posted that one I couldnt remember where it was and someone on the forum told me. Its on the edge of the Jewellery Quarter, not far from
St Pauls, bet Wendy will know it, cheers, glad everyone liked the pics, Bernardlong service dinner656.jpg

Think 4th photo in post #1 is looking towards Constitution Hill ( where the traffic lights are) at the junction with Hampton Street. Think the building is now a restaurant. Viv.

From Streetvie
560791fc-7d52-ce60.jpg

Just cant think of the street name, though someone might have come up with the name, they will before long knowing this forum, cheers
Bernard(Dont think I went out of the B1 area, city centre, the botton of the road is
either B18/B19, Hockley DO.)

Last edited:
Think you must have been standing in Water Street Bernard. Constitution Hill to the left and Old Snow Hill to the right. Keep those lovely photos coming. Enjoying seeing them Viv.

Some lovely shots there Bernard , thanks for sharing them , my favourite one is the
aeriel shot of the bull ring outside market where Mark one store is in view .
ragga :courage:

Yes Viv, you are right it was Water Street, when I first started as a
Postman in 1953 after the Army, I did one or two deliveries around
that area, I should have remembered it really. In reply to Ragga, Enids brother Hoss used to be the Caretaker at St Martins House and
we called in one day and he took me up on the roof, from where that
market photo and St Martins Church were taken.Even in so few years
so many things have changed, not always for the best I might add.
I walked down Park Street where they used to stable the GWR horses when me Dad worked as a Carter at Moor Street Station(Oh Happy Days!). It is now a Car Park Bernard

Last edited:
Have jusr remembered, one of my dog/walking friends Chris has a son
who works as a teacher in Brum and he told me he had recently moved into an apartment near Constitution Hill that was converted
from a warehouse or factory, getting just like New York eh? Bernard

Lol Bernard. I think the Cedar Club would have been near there too, off to the right I think (but not when you took the photo). Viv.

Thanks all, I now know where Bernard's photo was taken. The feature which caught my eye in the photo was the corbelled tower which juts out slightly over the pavement. I first wondered about corbelled towers when I saw one that is on a building but later disappears in the birchfield road..perry barr thread. Then I saw one in the Aston and lozells thread. I've noticed quite a number of such towers in buildings photos on the forum and now one has appeared in Bernard's thread - it must have been a fashion on 19th/early 20th century buildings.

Bernard67Arnold - that plaque (the Snow Hill one - Post #2 photo 2) was near the mural that was at St Chad's Circus Queensway. Either in storage or destroyed (depending on what happened when that area was brought back to road level).

Been racking what few brains I have left to remember where that
plaque was,it was around twenty years ago,either 92/or 95,seem
to think it was in subway entrance wall in Corporation Street, not
far from my other photo.No, it might come back to me. Sorry,
Bernard.

No sorry, dont remember that, most of pics were taken either in 1992, when the
Euro thing was on or just after I retired in 1995.Enids brother died in 2003 and we
didnt go into Brum very often after that.I know there were lots of people about and
I had to wait til it was clear to take the pic.Bernardlong service dinner701.jpglong service dinner702.jpglong service dinner703.jpglong service dinner704.jpg

The striking feature to me of these last photos Bernard is the amount of development and change that was underway in the 1990s. A good record of how things were changing in the city centre. Viv.

This is how Centenary Square was in 2009

The Rep in 2011

The Rep now from Cambridge Street

Thats just about all my pictures for now, perhaps the thread should be open for comments but feel that any further pics should
be on the appropriate thread, City centre etc; Bernard

Just showing you how it changed 20 years later.

What do you remember about the European Parliament 1992 thing (if anything)?

Back