• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Book: Birmingham Pevsner Architectural Guides by Andy Foster

BordesleyExile

master brummie
The colour photographs in Birmingham Pevsner Architectural guides are striking and are arguably the best I have seen in any book on Birmingham. Certainly all but 1 picture is new to me. Andy Foster covers Birmingham architecture with considerable breadth but this constrains the opportunity for depth. The focus is on buildings of about 1860 to the present day, although there are passing references to older properties and interesting material on architects. I would have liked to see sources provided, but there is a very good further reading list. There are architectural terms for those that want to engage with them. At no point have I found the vocabulary offputting, but welcome the opportunity to engage with terminology outside my experience.
I found Foster's work to be a good contribution to the canon of work on Birmingham in that the analysis it offers is unlike any other book I have discovered.
If anyone of BHF is able to give a review of Pevsner's Warwickshire I for one would be very interested.
I ordered my copy of Birmingham Pevsner from A*****, but was disappointed to find the corners very slightly damaged, possibly due to the type of packaging used. Here are other suppliers:
https://www.find-book.co.uk/0300107315.htm

Sounds great - your selling me on the idea!

Hope you will post a few "taster pics" on the appropriate place on the forum?

I'd be interested in Mr P's Warwickshire too (I keep my eyes open at boot fairs & charity shops where I do most of my luxury spend....)

I can post some pics Tuesday, Aidan, as part of this review so as not to infringe copyright. I will now go & choose very carefully.

I do have Pevsners Warwickshire and would be happy to look for anything you want and post it.

Thats a kind offer, BobS. How good is Pevsner Warwickshire on Birmingham & are there any good pics of pre 1860 Birmingham buildings?

Here are just a few sample photos from Andy Foster's Birmingham Pevsner which will convey the quality of the images in this book.
Grosvenor St West Union Mill perhaps by William Hollins 1813
Museum & Art Gallery by Yeoville Thomason 1881-5
New St former Midland Bank now Waterstones Edward Holmes 1867-9
Fazeley St nos 110 & 122 Edward John Lloyd 1850 & 1843-4
Bradford St White Swan James & Lister Lea 1899-1900

Three more from Birmingham Pevsner:
Warstone Lane / Tenby St North Aquinas Hse Frederick Proud 1882
Gas St Basin west side mostly 1820s & 1830s
Carrs Lane Powell's Gun Shop Charles Edge 1860-1

brillient pics shirl...i was down grosvenor st last year taking pics of the union mill....

lyn:)

Nice report of the Book Shirley, I've had it on my shelf for years and because it's smallish and an odd shape, perhaps it didn't get the attention it deserved. Difficult to nick pictures from! Well done that girl. Some great maps too. A good walking guide companion for the new Victorians amongst us...

Pevsner is a very useful book! A bit out of date by 5 years though. But still useful for getting details of historic buildings of Birmingham.

Mine has this plastic film layer that seems to be pealing off the edges. Guess I've used it quite a lot since I've had it!

You need to get ' Birmingham by Andy Foster' which is a follow on from Pevsner and is just about Brum rather than the whole of Warks.Regards BobS.

I have got Pevsner Architectural Guides: Birmingham by Andy Foster. 2007 corrections version of the 2005 edition.

I was suprised to find that it has the road I live in - is in the book! Not sure why they put that in.

Back