• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Book: Birmingham Parish workhouse 1730-1840

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
A book with the above title has just been published.. the author is the late Chris Upton, though I gather that it was not complete at the time of his death, and was completed by Dr. Ian Cawood. I have only just received my copy and have not yet had a chance to fully study it, but it seems a very comprehensive book, of 261 pages, produced to an excellent standard, and full of detail on all matters of the parish , such as (taken at random) that workers on support from the workhouse and working at Key Hill sand Quarry in 1829 were paid 3 farthings (0.75 old pence) per barrow of sand if the sand was dry , or 1 old pence if it were wet, and were each allowed to earn between 5 and 7 shillings a week. this book is definitely going to be a mine of information

Back