• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Oral Contraceptive Pill Trials 1961

Jano

proper brummie kid
Does anyone have any links to this trial? It was the first in the country, santioned by the then Health Minister Enoch Powell.
48 women took part. It was run by the Family Planning Association on Frederick Street I believe.

Dr. Elenor Mears of the FPA referred to an experiment under which 80 women in Birmingham were taking part. There was a clash of opinions as to whether contraceptives were available on NHS persorption.

Mears later says the tests were being undertaken by women in Birmingham, Slough and London.

Birmingham Post, June 1961.

In November the Post states that the BMA Journal reports 14 if the first 48 women taking part in the trials in Birmingham
became pregnant within 3 months. When the trial was continued with a greater strength dosage, none became pregnant.

Back