• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham (or very close by) pubs that you would have liked to visit.

there a few pubs i would have liked to have gone in but the one that upsets me the most has to the magnificent woodman that was on easy row the inside and outside was amazing...what another massive blunder by bcc...in fact in my opinion losing the whole of easy row was tragic but this is just me appreciating great architecture of the past never to be seen again...

lyn

woodman 2.jpgwoodman.jpg

Last edited:
I visited 'Ma Pardoe's' The Old Swan at Netherton a few weeks ago and would recommend it. They still brew their own beer behind the pub. I walked from Old Hill railway station, up Beauty Bank.

I mean to visit The Fountain at Tipton as my grandmother was born on a barge moored in the basin. I've never been to this pub. It is famous for a statue of The Tipton Slasher, William Perry, a champion prizefighter who was once landlord.
When we were on one of our canal trips, we tied up in Tipton basin visited the Fountain. Very crowded, they made space for us, my daughter is disabled, checked we were OK and made sure we enjoyed an evening of Black Country hospitality. Super pub, reasonable prices as well.
Bob

When we were on one of our canal trips, we tied up in Tipton basin visited the Fountain. Very crowded, they made space for us, my daughter is disabled, checked we were OK and made sure we enjoyed an evening of Black Country hospitality. Super pub, reasonable prices as well.
Bob
That's good to hear, Bob. And good to know they welcomed your daughter. Derek

I think a shift in consumer behaviour over a period of years. Alcohol can be bought in bottles from the supermarket and drunk at home. Younger people tend to drink less. Covid shut some pubs forever, but the structure of the industry made it increasingly difficult for an independent landlord or a tenant to make money.

There used to be a pub on every street corner. CAMRA says beer tax, business rates and PubCo reform. https://camra.org.uk/take-action/
Most of the successful pubs are often restaurants as well. But others become housing developments, blocks of flats, offices or convert to another form of business. Often they are demolished.

That 42,000 is measured over a long time. https://www.statista.com/statistics/310723/total-number-of-pubs-in-the-united-kingdom/ says 14k pubs were lost from 2000- 2022.

The Telegraph and The Guardian agree for once, pubs are in decline and it is hard to stop this. (I've linked to two journalistic pieces.)

The Butcher's Arms I mentioned was owned by an elderly lady. Her relative inherited the pub, but perhaps understandably didn't want to run it and it is now a small housing development retaining much of the original external features. In its glory days it served the thirsty salt workers and farm workers. The cider is a memory. I drank two bottles of Dunkertons with my meal last night at a restaurant, tasty but carbonated and an entirely different product to draught.
It sounds also that republican did not or we’re not able to change with the times. I remember in the late 50 early 60’s bead , cheese and beer were all I could afford. In my travels to Germany, Sweden, France and Italy for business in the 70’s through 2016 it seemed all pub type places sold ”bar food” as we say in the US (and I’m sure other places) maybe two steps higher than local finger food.
Where we live in TN, there are a couple of so called English & Irish pubs that are standing room only Wednesday through Sunday. BTW we have a Churchillian Society in Franklin (off topic, sorry).
Thank Derek for you insight, it is appreciated!

It sounds also that republican did not or we’re not able to change with the times. I remember in the late 50 early 60’s bead , cheese and beer were all I could afford. In my travels to Germany, Sweden, France and Italy for business in the 70’s through 2016 it seemed all pub type places sold ”bar food” as we say in the US (and I’m sure other places) maybe two steps higher than local finger food.
Where we live in TN, there are a couple of so called English & Irish pubs that are standing room only Wednesday through Sunday. BTW we have a Churchillian Society in Franklin (off topic, sorry).
Thank Derek for you insight, it is appreciated!
Richard, you will notice some changes when you come to Birmingham. There are some large standing room only pubs in the centre of Birmingham on Friday and Saturday nights, but these do not attract older customers or anyone wanting a quiet conversation. They are very different from the traditional pubs. Derek

Richard, you will notice some changes when you come to Birmingham. There are some large standing room only pubs in the centre of Birmingham on Friday and Saturday nights, but these do not attract older customers or anyone wanting a quiet conversation. They are very different from the traditional pubs. Derek
Interesting model, the standing for a long time would not work for us! Also the so called older crowd tend to have more £’s available. At least here, although you never know.

Back