• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham or Aston?

jane k

master brummie
I`m trying to find out about the death of Thomas Wallis but I could do with some more info before I send for the certificate. He was born about 1816 & lived in Great King Street in 1861 & his widow was still there in 1871. There are 2 possible deaths in 1862 - one Jan/Mar in Birmingham district and one Oct/Dec in Aston. Familysearch also has a burial for a Thomas Wallis on 14/12/1862 at St Bartholomews Birmingham.
I`d really appreciate some thoughts on which of the 2 deaths is more likely to be my chap

Jane

Great King St was and is Hockley, Birmingham
You could pherhaps ask them to check the name of the person registering the death, if it is the same as widow you want it, if not coulf they try the Aston one?
B'ham Registry will check first for you.
Brian

Thanks Brian - I didn`t realise Birmingham registry would do that. Can you tell me the best way to contact them (I can`t get there in person). I have always got certificates from the General Register Office before

Regards Jane

Hi jane,

I usually pop down in person to Holliday St, although i understand you can order via internet same as GRO - presumable B'ham Registry would come up on a search.
I have also been told you can put a comment on your order to GRO stating you only want the cert if the parents, widows, etc name matches, but never tried it it myself over the internet.
Before Xmas, when you could wait an hour for a Cert at no extra cost, they would come out and speak to you, if there was the slightest variation in what you asked for, and what they found, before printing/paying and offer you the choice of having it or not.
System should be the same over the internet.

Fingers crossed!

Brian

Hi Jane

Don't know if this is of any help but BMSGH has a burial for a Thomas Wallis in 1862 at Warstone Lane Cemetery Register No. 10171. Unfortunately no age is given though. If he lived in Hockley, then Warstone Lane is perhaps a good possibility?

Regards
Suzanne

Hi Jane

Don't know if this is of any help but BMSGH has a burial for a Thomas Wallis in 1862 at Warstone Lane Cemetery Register No. 10171. Unfortunately no age is given though. If he lived in Hockley, then Warstone Lane is perhaps a good possibility?

Regards
Suzanne

Thanks Suzanne - do you know if there is a date for that burial?

Regards Jane

Afraid not Jane just the year. You would need to see the register details for any more information. Brian (Key Hill Brian) or Wendy may be able to help you further:)

Regards
Suzanne

Back