• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham or America?

Enlarging the photo to show the road tax disc.

Then by reference to this page which is from the website of a company that reproduces accurate replicas of them, (and bearing in mind they only started in 1921), the only designs that follow the design pattern of the original are in the range 1923-1931 (and 1941/2/3, or 1953/4/5/6, but I think we can agree it's not as late as that).
So the earliest date this photo can be is 1923.

View attachment 68030

Last edited:
hi gys ;
At this precise time in moment i cannot say whre this picture is taken but i know i have seen it before now
and it is definately birmingham nor year its in one of birminghams old books
and i think it was around the stratford rd towards the old camp hill in the very early years and that building was taken over by
a company that sold seeds and birds corn for pigeons the name at this precise moment is really causing me
a problem its at the back of my mind the building used to be just short of the rail way bridgeon stratford rd and just along on the oppersite side of the rd to garretts old second hand shops and facing Mcvais pub ; the corn shop which took over that particular building
could have been around the thirtys and there was plenty of these shops around brum pratts horse and bird foods and hays
sellers in birminham but thats wher the photo as taken best wishes astonian

The small sign held by the man reads 1914 KHAKI AND FLAGS.
The AA commercial vehicle badge in that shape was discontinued after 1925.

I can recall the place you are thinking about Alan [opposite Henley Street] but like you cannot recall the name. However it was close to Broads (Broadspeed) Garage so I do not think that this photo was taken there. Interestingly the company you refer to had a sign
up for Spratts pet foods.

Last edited by a moderator:
HI BERNIE
Yes you ae riht in what i was trying to explain the excact postion and the garage was just a further abit along of broads
it was where the spratts sign was not broads garage it was the former corn merchants that was there in the hay day so to speak
if you get my drift and the corn shop came later; it was a corn merchants after the orinional picture was taken or vice a versa
then later in the thirys or forties the corn shop and feed was taken over by profit and westwood
thats where spratts name was kept for its history above the arch way and in the late fifties it was re painted and delveloped a moderen day look for profit and west woods corn feed for birds it had been a dirty old dark green and worn out paint work for many a years
until the fifties when it had its make over
to be honest bernie i would go to the extent ofputting my lastpound on it that the picture was taken there in the twentys
it as been seen before about four ears ago it was either on the forum or in a book some one had i know ihad seen it before like yor self
i do personaly recall the building and the spratts signage
bernie thanks for putting meon to henley street thats where the rose taverenpub is aint it just along from seamus Mc vaies just past the rail way bridge and years ago just before or just after the rail way bridge there was some houses ad a dingy litte pub facing seamus pub and then ther was more little houses then the oriningional corn makers merchants i think the picture was where spratts was then the pic was taken then later in years
proffit and westood came along and reopenened up for he seeds and pigeon feeds
bernie have a great day best wishes astonian

Back