• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham or America?

Zumfan

proper brummie kid
Can anyone tell me where on earth this picture was taken? I found it among my mother's old photos. She was born in 1910 and is possibly the child in the sailor clothes. In which case the photograph is definitely in Bham. Or is it really in America, as per the signs?
View attachment 68001

I would take a guess the photo is Birmingham as the vehicle has a streering wheel on the right. The houses in the background are more like Birmingham houses. Pratt's I think was the original name of Shell which I think was British at that time. The sign says Mobiloils which was London based as well.

The photo is brilliant maybe someone with a trade directory could help with the location.

The one sign has a London address and the truck not only has RHD but also an AA badge.

Well spotted Graham I missed the AA badge.

Well done John now we know were it was taken.

It would be nice to find out the event I know it's a carnival of some sort but the costumes are very elaborate and well made.

Its a carnival this part of the photograph shows the army chaps notice around is neck a date of 1914 can't make out what the name is but there is a charge of a £1 . ?.?

John, I think it says 1914 Khaki Band - would this mean anything to anyone?
Could it have been connected with soldiers going off to war?
Sue

Also, the builing has Portland and on the left hand door as you look at it, Livery (or could be delivery if Pratts sign is covering letters) and under that looks like glasswork - what does anyone else think?
Sue

I agree with Bernie: Pratt's is the name of the brand of fuel the garage sold. I think the name of the business was Portland Omnibus, Portland Travel, or something along those lines. Would Portland Coaches have been used as early as 1914? D.

John
Are you sure it is the 1921 Kellys. I can't find Pratt's Garage at that address , or at all in the 1921 directory. However there is :
Portland Garage' & Delivery Co,' garage proprietors,.Corbett street, Smethwick.
That seems to fit very well, as it says Portland above the door, and there is “Delivery” on the door. They seem later (1928) to become Smethwick Transport Co Ltd.
The building must be the one in red on the map, though the passage (not named on this map, but called Pink passage on the c 1956 map) is not obvious.
Have negativised (Ugh –horrible word) the sign, and think it says “1914 Chart and Flags”
mike

Portlandgaragecorbettstsmethwickmapc1918.jpg

The charabanc is a British 'Dennis' (made in Guildford, a very popular make at the time and still going!) and has a british road fund (tax) licence disc on the windscreen frame, as well as the AA badge. Shame the chaps at the front obscure the number plate!

Would agree with mike's location find in Smethwick, just off Cape Hill.

Last edited:
You never cease to amaze me, you are all so clever not to mention helpful well done all xxx

Well done everyone for a great piece of detective work. Thank you Zumfan for posting this brilliant photo!

GARGOYLE Mobiloil
A demi-fluide Mobiloil was born in 1899 as the Deutsche Vacuum Oil Company. Gargoyle Mobiloil A stems from 1926 and came in returnable tins. They probably knew that people then preferred products in tins because of the many uses once emptied.

Mike this my from Kelly's 1921 also the Pratt's sign between soldiers says Pratt's Garage the Corbett street houses bear no resemblant to the ones in the picture i.e bay windows in old photograph

Like John says the Pratts sign reads Garage on the end.
I think the large sign over door reads PORTLAND COACHES, I've marked the top of the `C` in blue, it could be a G , but doubt if they would put garage twice, plus the door says as already been said pleasure vehicles

View attachment 68019
View attachment 68018

I believe that the 'Garage' on the end of the light box of the Pratt's sign is incidental as it appears to have been common for petrol companies to include it with their signs. See Above:

Here by the way is a superb site for anyone interested in old garage signs etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
john
This is very confusing. I got my data from the MHD CD-disc, and attach the relevent scans, which are completely different to yours ??!!
Mike

Thank you, amazing people. Following all your inspection of the details I had another look too, and am sure that the 'gipsy' on the left of the 'Scot' is my grandmother, and the man behind the sailor boy is my mother's uncle dressed as 'John Bull'. He had lived in America before the war, hence my confusion. Around this time they lived in Clinton St. My own guess is that it was an end of WW1 celebration. My mother would have been about eight. I think the sign definitely says 'Khaki' but don't know what it means. If anyone knows anything about such a carnival I'd be delighted to know. And is there anywhere I should send this photo for preservation as I doubt my children will be interested.

You could send the photo to Carl Chinn's archive which is open to everyone to view or Central Library Archives which has a photo collection. I would advise you keep a copy for yourself as it's amazing when kids get older they suddenly take an interest in family history.

what an amazing read...well done to all for working things out and thank you zumfan for starting the thread...

lyn

NAW, You all wrong Its the filmum crew for the Pirates movie on Telly to night. John Crump oldBrit in Parker. Co USA

apologies for an error on my part I have two discs saying 1921 but one is 1932 which is the one I have posted as the wrong date needless to say Pratt's Garage is or was in Spring Hill.
Regarding post 28 was there any need for it

I do still think the garage was in Corbett St. , but below is the position of no 96 Spring hill in 1918

No96springhillc1918.jpg

Back