• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Open Air Schools - Cropwood, Hunter's Hill, Marsh Hill and Skilts (excl. Haseley Hall and Uffculme)

Thanks for your reply littleemily. I had never heard of this type of school before. I know there was a sanitorium for recouperation in Blackwell and wondered if they were connected. My connection is to Blackwell Court. I was quite involved with the Scouting organisation there for about 10 years and am very interested in the history of the house and grounds. I have stayed in the house, camped in the grounds and spent many happy hours there in the beautiful grounds.
Its such a shame that what could have been a lovely experience was ruined for some of you.
hi, i have recently found out that my great aunt ( rose hannah little 1922-2008) was a house maid at cropwood open air school.
I wonder if anyone might remember her.

OK Chris, I hope to talk to others that shared this experience with me, its so long ago now, I will start it like a book and just tell my story if it gets too long I suppose it can be deleted.

I was born in 1952, all though my early school years I suffered from Bronchitis, so lost a lot of time from school sick, but I didn't like school anyway, I would fight all the way to school with my mum and do anything to avoid it. Evantually mom and I got hauled up in front of a board and they asked me if I would like to go to Open Air School, (I said yes) I had been told it was that, or be locked up in some way for not going to school. I don't know the details but I ended up being packed off to Cropwood, I think it was around 1960 I think I had my eighth birthday there, but it could easily be a year either way I don't remember. So Arriving at Cropwood I don't remember, but being there I do.

I was there when Miss Uquart a very strong Scottish woman was Head Mistress, there were two other staff(I think they were nurses) not sure, but one of them was called Miss Addis, she was slim,blonde and wore her hair up in a pleat, along with the lady that sat high up in the attic and polished our shoes, lace ups brown, and the Cook and her helpers. Lots of other staff, but I don't really remember them. So I arrive and I am shown to my bed in what they called Extension (which is what it was, the main house if I recall was high and built of grey stone, in wonderful gardens, that at the time I did not appreciate at all. In Extension there were 4 bi-fold doors that were always open at night, it was a long dormitory and my bed was the first on the left after you walked in, before that were four beds inset in a square, with Miss Addis's room before that, then a corridor down to the bathrooms, when I was there, the baths were white and we got about 3 inches of water to wash in, it was usually damn cold. We had a bath every morning, made our bed almost army like, and then went over to the main building for breakfast, for some reason I do not remember where we ate. I do remember assembly, in a large room I think it had a bay window as I used to sit there look out of the window and sometimes read. Other times that same room was used for PT, we had to do a funny exercise, where you lie on your tummy grasp your ankles and rock back and forth (I think it was called a Fisherman's Basket) (again not sure) If I recall it had a polished wooden floor.

I was so homesick, one Sunday I think it was, I ran away, started to walk down that gravel drive and kept going, turned left out of the gates past the entrace to Hunters Hill the boys school, and kept going I knew roughly the direction I was going in, at the top of that lane, I saw a farmer, and asked if me could give me 2 and 6 (half a crown at that time) as I wanted to visit my aunt, He said I think you are from that School down there, and I said no I wasn't he gave me half a crown, and I went on to the terminus and got on a bus headed for Birmingham, I don't recall the details, but I got on another bus in the city centre and got back to Small Heath where I lived, my mom was sitting by the fire and I walked in she did not seem all that suprised. Then dad came home, and the police came and mom and dad had to take me back to that dreadful place. I don't think they had a choice, all I remember is standing in that lobby with my poor dad looking mistyfied and mom, and Miss Urquart, who was not at all amused, they told mom and dad to go, and I don't remember much, just going to bed back there, the following morning in Assembly I was told to stand up along with Poor Ann, she had short reddish hair and she had run off the very same day, and she was back to, some words were said, like we were bad girls and how all the others better think before they tried the same. I remember we both stood there looking down, until the ordeal was over.Shortly after that there was a day trip to a (Manor House, Hall, anyway a big place) it was a Brownies and I think Girl Guides meeting. I remember the coach with all the girls aboard turning round in the carpark/courtyard of Cropwood, and I was left standing there, as a punishment for running away, then the coach stopped and Miss Urquart (I think) said come on get in, which I did, then I remember during the day they were showing off a new Brownie outfit, and I was chosen to model it, I couldn't believe it me the runaway. There were many times we ate outside I remember I hated the taste of the butter?spread, on our bread and for some reason inside it was ok, but outside, YUK! No idea why. We had lessons, and I don't remember them at all, except that I was never made to feel stupid like I was at school back at home. I absolutely LOVED that icy cold freezing and I kid you not swimming pool, it was at the bottom of a lot of steps, and I think it had wooden changing rooms on one side, but I might be wrong, it was Kidney shaped and I remember the polystyrene floats we were given to hold onto and kick our way across the shall end, it never got warm, surrounded by trees and we just had to get in. Although it was shudderingly cold, I loved it. I was allowed to be a Brownie, but never got any badges, or anything.

We used to go out of the gates and turn right, then over a stile, and run down Hunters Hill, there were little rhill type things that filled with water and I used to skip over them. Other times we were taken down thru the grounds at the back of Cropwood to a lane, where we wollected wild flowers and pressed into a book, I liked that, we would walk to a place we called Clover it was on the left of the lane and was a group of trees on a hill, below some kond of earth moving was taking place, and there were mounds of clay like stuff that filled with water. My favorite time was play time, at the back of Cropwood turn right and right again, there was an almighty tree, so big that we could play inside amongst the roots, I loved it there, I also loved the Gorse bushes that spread down the hill at the back. Lilac and Yellow, there was a classroom that I never went to that was down a hill to the right of extension, past a big tree, I forget now what type it was, but to a little girl it was big. I have to say now that I was a monster to one little girl bullying her and making her cry, I didn't realise until her little face broke I think her name was Francis, if she ever reads this I have your face in my memory and will never forgive myself, and hope you went on to a happy life.

Then there was Rosemary a cottage like place where the older girls went to stay, and the beloved Tuck shop, if I recall it was something on the side of the road, and this lady had all the goodies, we were allowed to buy sweets there. Time passed Christmas being a nice time our parents were allowed to come and Cook made pudding with money in it, I think it was either a threepenny bit of sixpence at that time, not sure. Me in trouble again for telling my mum that cook's pudding was better than hers, I never did live that one down, still haven't and never will, out of the mouth of babes!!

I remember one girl in particular, she was dark skinned very tall and her name was Naomi, always quiet. Then the day Miss Urquart was standing at the top of the basins in the lobby, the toilets were long the bottom and the toilet roll was outside, so you took a piece and then went to the toilet, in trouble again, a loud voice, states, just what do you think you are doing, how much paper do you think you need for that little bottom, I could have died, you know I still take more toilet paper than I need and at 63, I can!!!

What else can I share about Cropwood, I think I have laid myself bare to all that read this, I hope you understand. 8 years later when I was 16 I went back for an appointment with Miss Urquart, I couldn't and still can;t get Cropwood out of my head, I hoped to get a job there, by that time, I had grown my hair and was very proud of it, she explained at the interview, that she was retiring as they were going to send a different type of girl to Cropwood and she did not want o deal with that sort of girl, I think she was referring to other than sick (illness) girls, when I was there, it was mostly about the Coughers as they were referred to they had to cough and spit into metal mugs with lids, then empty them and I presume wash them out, I did not have to do that. For that interview I left my now long hair loose, so she could see it, she just said, well if you did work here, you would not wear your hair like that, I was mortified, my mum said to her, she only left it down to show you, so yes in a way Miss Urquart could hurt you so easily. I have not been back, I think I may visit Blackwell if I were in the UK but I am now in Australia, but the memories never leave me, like the parcels from home, a Beano, sweets, a bit of cash to spend oh how I looked forward to that. I don't honestly know if that year did me good, or scarred me for life, happy to hear from anyone that shares these type of memories. I think thats all, but I could remember something else by tomorrow, so I shall post it next. I never appreciated that others were going thru what I went thru for good or bad, but I wish you ALL well xx Oh to sit in that tree hollow again!!
I have only now looked onto this post since 2013 or thereabouts and read your post. Remember everything the same as yourself. I also remember the day Naomi first arrived and asked her name. When she answered I believed she had said
“know me” I told her I didn’t and wanted to know her name. Never forgotten that. A new young Sister Sheldon had taken a dislike towards me from her first day and her bullying and nastiness caused me to runaway twice before I finally left. Until Sister Sheldon arrived I had enjoyed my time at Cropwood.

I do not recognise any of the bad reports about Cropwood from my time there which was 1954 to 1956 age 6 to 8. Miss Urquhart was the head, Miss Williams the deputy. There were 2 other teachers making 4 in all for 80 girls from age 5 to school leaving age. Their hands were full particularly as most pupils had fallen behind in their learning due to chronic illnesses.

At no time were pupils forced to eat and to my knowledge no one left the table hungry. I do remember extra plates of bread and butter coming out of the kitchen if there was a show of hands when asked.

Two of the teachers ran the Brownies and Guides. Several years later I returned to Cropwood and ‘helped out’ in some classrooms, a taster for a career that lasted until retirement. Miss Urquhart was still there and made me very welcome.
Batmadviv
Hi Batmadviv I was at Cropwood during your time there and I agree that Miss Urqhart was a wonderful headmistress. We also enjoyed great food. I was treated kindly by the Matron and gained healthwise. My misery began when the old sister or matron left and a new sister or nurse arrived. She was cruel both verbally and at times physically. It was the most terrifying time of my young life. She resigned shortly after I went into sick bay with hepatitis and I left shortly afterwards. Sadly the good times I remember from Cropwood were greatly overshadowed by those last bad months.

It’s lovely to read your experiences at Cropwood and it makes me sad that some had challenging times there. My dad was the caretaker of Cropwood Open Air School (Mr Thomas or Frank) and my mum worked in the kitchens with Mrs Wood the cook. I remember mum had a great friend there called Bronc and there was a Gardner called Ted. We lived in The Lodge at the entrance to the drive and we lived there from about 1962 to 1967. (I was 3 in 1962 so my memories are a bit vague) I used to love the holidays when the girls would go home and my brother and I had the place to ourselves and Miss Urqhart had a soft spot for me and I spent a lot of time with her. I had very happy memories of Cropwood and I learned to swim in the pool there.

My Sister Catherine (Kate) spent some time at Cropwood in 63/64 and I believe she enjoyed her time there. I remember visiting her there one open day that they had on a Sunday and about 40 of us being stranded at the bus stop because there was no Sunday Afternoon service. It was left to me a callow 16 year old to ring the bus company and plead for a bus to be put on, which they eventually agreed to do.

I have some photos of that open day! When I find them (they’re in my storage unit) I’ll post them. From memory, as they were mum and dads pictures, there’s a lovely picture of some of the staff, kitchen staff, maids etc.

I was a pupil at Cropwood for 2 years from 1954 to 1956 (age 6 to 8) and rather enjoyed it. Miss Urquhart was the head, Miss Williamson the deputy, Mrs P Z Zoar and Miss Meadows were teachers. 80 girls were divided into 4 classes. We had to clean and polish our winter shoes or summer sandals daily and had to line up for a teaspoonful of cod liver oil each morning.

Every morning there was an assembly followed by class work with our allotted teacher. I do not remember any afternoon class work. Instead we went on long country walks or played in the grounds of the school.

After all it was an Open Air School and most of the pupils were there to breathe fresh air which was not always available in built up areas near factories in Birmingham.

There was a Girl Guide Company and a Brownie Pack each being run by a member of staff, Guides one day, Brownies another. Totally enjoyable.

Parents and family members visited between the school holidays. As soon as they went we all had to line up for the nurse to comb our hair with a fine tooth comb and disinfectant in case any head lice had visited Cropwood with family members.

My mother was at crop wood late 1930’s to early 40’s when it was an open air school Her name was Margaret Hutton and she ran away twice not sure if she didn’t like it or was home sick first time she got to the Bristol road before being picked up second attempt got home to Kingstanding and never went back

Blackwell Court is a completely different place! Crop wood House is in Spirehouse Lane and was a Cadbury Open Air School for Girls
Welcome to this wonderful forum Thea49. You are totally correct, with Hunters Hill open air school just across the road from the Cropwood entrance. I was at Hunters Hill from 1965 to 1969 when I left school.

Gave up Facebook when I moved to the States mate. I don't do "social media" but couldn't resist this one because its Brum based and as I get older and am thousands of miles away I think of Brum and my youth more often.
I often think how strange it is that my first home was an old Victorian slum in Bolton Road and nearly 60 years later I'm living in California and now Tennessee and an an American citizen.
I often meet British ex pats and still suffer the prejudice against Birmingham and Brummies.
When they discover I'm a Brummie I get " oh, you're from Birrrrrrrrrmingham". I then get the sneer and they walk off.
My American wife has seen it and cannot understand it.
Now I'm in my mid sixties I just walk away from these snobs thinking "stuff em"!
I left Brum back in the seventies but still have a strong Brummie accent. People either like it or loathe it and I have received many insults and discrimination due my accent over the years. But I don’t care and would never try to lose it. A few months ago and for the second time the Brummie accent has been voted the worst and most disliked accent in the UK by a national newspaper. As for lnsults, the worst I received was from an extremely snobby man was when I was auditioning for a part in an amateur play and he asked if I could read. Thankfully people like him are in the minority. I am proud to be a Brummie.

I thought you would like some information on Cropwood and Hunters Hill school. Allow me to give you a little background to my story. I worked for Cadburys for 38 years and took early retirement and redundency in 2008. During my employment at Cadburys and I became a voulenteer manager in the Community Office. I worked with a number of schools on all sorts of projects and one of those schools was Hunters Hill . I also became a Governor there and later the I became Chairman of the Governs. I worked very closley the inspirational teachers, and the then Headteacher, Ken Lewis
I think it was 1991 when I first became involved in Hunters Hill. It was at that time a resdential school for children with various emotional and behavioural difficulties.
Although I left Cadburys I continued serving as the Chairman at the school and worked for another 8 years with a Birmingham Education school.
Cropwood House was originally built by the Cadbury family to house one of their sons who suffered with breathing difficulties. The room at the top of the tower was windowless and became this sons bedroom. Apparently the air there was very clean and pure. I assume this is why it became an open air school.
Originally house was too near to the road for the Cadburys liking so they had the original house knocked down and rebuilt futher into the huge garden.
After the death of their son Cadburys gave the building and huge grounds to Birmingham Education as a home for children with breathing difficulties. Those who know Birmingham will know the Licky Hills which also belonged to Caburys and that too was given away to Birmingham Council.
I cannot remember when the school became Hunters Hill but the whole use of the buildings changed. The rooms at Cropthorn House were converted into individual flats to help children in their final year to become self sufficient. Over the years blocks of flats and bungalows were built to house the residential children. These were constructed on the land next to the school. The school building was across the Road from the Cropthorn house. The white cottage, Rose cottage, somone spoke of was sold by the council and I think it is a private dwelling now.
The staff and its supporters raised enough money to build a sports hall which was enjoyed by all. There was an open farm which alowed the children work with animals and plant vegetables. The children could also go an annual camp to Wales. These activities were an extra to their normal education curriculum. The school worked for, and became, an Academy and went from strength to strength.
Sadly all this was to change. When the Headmaster and I retired from the school a new Head was appointed. However he was not very successful and did not stay in the job for long. Yet another Head was appointed and eventually the school fell into complete disaray. It gave Birmingham Education the opportunity it had waited for and they scool closed.

A sad bend to years of history.

I thought you would like some information on Cropwood and Hunters Hill school. Allow me to give you a little background to my story. I worked for Cadburys for 38 years and took early retirement and redundency in 2008. During my employment at Cadburys and I became a voulenteer manager in the Community Office. I worked with a number of schools on all sorts of projects and one of those schools was Hunters Hill . I also became a Governor there and later the I became Chairman of the Governs. I worked very closley the inspirational teachers, and the then Headteacher, Ken Lewis
I think it was 1991 when I first became involved in Hunters Hill. It was at that time a resdential school for children with various emotional and behavioural difficulties.
Although I left Cadburys I continued serving as the Chairman at the school and worked for another 8 years with a Birmingham Education school.
Cropwood House was originally built by the Cadbury family to house one of their sons who suffered with breathing difficulties. The room at the top of the tower was windowless and became this sons bedroom. Apparently the air there was very clean and pure. I assume this is why it became an open air school.
Originally house was too near to the road for the Cadburys liking so they had the original house knocked down and rebuilt futher into the huge garden.
After the death of their son Cadburys gave the building and huge grounds to Birmingham Education as a home for children with breathing difficulties. Those who know Birmingham will know the Licky Hills which also belonged to Caburys and that too was given away to Birmingham Council.
I cannot remember when the school became Hunters Hill but the whole use of the buildings changed. The rooms at Cropthorn House were converted into individual flats to help children in their final year to become self sufficient. Over the years blocks of flats and bungalows were built to house the residential children. These were constructed on the land next to the school. The school building was across the Road from the Cropthorn house. The white cottage, Rose cottage, somone spoke of was sold by the council and I think it is a private dwelling now.
The staff and its supporters raised enough money to build a sports hall which was enjoyed by all. There was an open farm which alowed the children work with animals and plant vegetables. The children could also go an annual camp to Wales. These activities were an extra to their normal education curriculum. The school worked for, and became, an Academy and went from strength to strength.
Sadly all this was to change. When the Headmaster and I retired from the school a new Head was appointed. However he was not very successful and did not stay in the job for long. Yet another Head was appointed and eventually the school fell into complete disaray. It gave Birmingham Education the opportunity it had waited for and they scool closed.

A sad bend to years of history.
Hello Peter. Thank you for this information. I often wondered what had happened to Hunters Hill after I left the school in July 1969. The head mistress at the time was Miss Buckley, & she had been there for a lot of years(so am told).She retired at the same time I left school, & had often planned to go back to pay a visit, but sadly never got the chance. When the M42 was built, I was informed the Hunters Hill had been demolished to make way for the M42, but later discovered that it is still there, & am informed that it is an an accademy of some kind. I have seen on Google maps that many of the buildings & dormitories still exist, though have changed slightly in appearance. The square playground that was near the dormitories & dining room were open, but now are enclosed. Some day, I hope to pay a quick visit. I can remember having loads of fun on the hill in the winter when we were allowed to go on our sledges.

Last edited:
Hunters Hill was brill in my eyes , I arrived in 1961 age 7 and left 1966, Clee Dormitory (back row, end bed), nearest Art Centre, I remember Saturday mornings would have breakfast then go to classroom to do chores and listen to the football on the radio with other lads, roller skating in the verandah'd centre playground which had tennis court
Head was Miss Buckley and Mr Hill the deputy that gave me 6 lashes of the cane on both hands for my part of the nicking cough sweets from the surgery, OUCH.
Teachers Mr Tebbut (carpentry, science) Mr Pinner (german etc) Mr Roberts, Mr Alexander (art) Mr/Mrs Richardson (history) Mr George, Senior Prefects were Alex Kane, Richard Chamberlain, Patrick Pattern and helpers were Miss Beck, Miss Staines, Diane Warren (sister)
I was in the Football and Cricket teams against other visiting Open Air Schools, 2-3 football pitches and a fantastic slope at the end for sledging in winter along with woods to roam around in.
Pity all this was marred for me.... as i caught a serious foot rash that itched like crazy , i use to scratch it so much it would bleed and baloon up, would not go away for two years and was confined to bed a lot missing all the fun.... when i left Hunters i was taken to my parents GP and he gave me one tube of clear cream for Impetigo all disappeared after two weeks never to be seen again..

Typical lol
David Warren

Last edited:
Hunters Hill was brill in my eyes , I arrived in 1961 age 7 and left 1966, Clee Dormitory (back row 2nd from end), nearest Art Centre, I remember Saturday mornings would have breakfast then go to classroom to do chores and listen to the football on the radio with other lads, roller skating in the verandah'd centre playground which had tennis court
Head was Miss Buckley and Mr Hill the deputy that gave me 6 lashes of the cane on both hands for my part of the nicking cough sweets from the surgery, OUCH.
Teachers Mr Tebbut (carpentry, science) Mr Pinner (german etc) Mr Roberts, Mr Alexander (art) Mr/Mrs Richardson (history) Mr George, Senior Prefects were Alex Kane, Richard Chamberlain, Patrick Pattern and helpers were Miss Beck, Miss Staines, Diane Warren (sister)
I was in the Football and Cricket teams against other visiting Open Air Schools, 2-3 football pitches and a fantastic slope at the end for sledging in winter along with woods to roam around in.
Pity all this was marred for me.... as i caught a serious foot rash that itched like crazy , i use to scratch it so much it would bleed and baloon up, would not go away for two years and was confined to bed a lot missing all the fun.... when i left Hunters i was taken to my parents GP and he gave me one tube of clear cream for Impetigo all disappeared after two weeks never to be seen again..

Typical lol
David Warren
Wow. I remember most of those teachers you mentioned David. I first arrived there in 1965. Hated it at first, but thanks to long talks with Miss Buckley, I began to enjoy my 4 years there, but did not like Mr Tebbut, who used to flick my ears when using a saw in the carpentry class. Mr Pinner, I liked, though some pupils used to play him up.I remember Richard Chamberlain, & there was another senior prefect I remember, Steven Braker. I was in Clent dorm. I remember Miss Beck & Miss Staines. I used to love sledging down the hill in the winter. Loved using the scooters around the verandas around the centre play ground. Loved the film nights that were set up by Mr Pinner, & the nights when the girls from cropwood would come over for dancing, though I never got involved.

Wow. I remember most of those teachers you mentioned David. I first arrived there in 1965. Hated it at first, but thanks to long talks with Miss Buckley, I began to enjoy my 4 years there, but did not like Mr Tebbut, who used to flick my ears when using a saw in the carpentry class. Mr Pinner, I liked, though some pupils used to play him up.I remember Richard Chamberlain, & there was another senior prefect I remember, Steven Braker. I was in Clent dorm. I remember Miss Beck & Miss Staines. I used to love sledging down the hill in the winter. Loved using the scooters around the verandas around the centre play ground. Loved the film nights that were set up by Mr Pinner, & the nights when the girls from cropwood would come over for dancing, though I never got involved.
Michael, do you happen to know where Miss Staines lived? I knew someone by that name.

What a strange world I was born in 1954 in Aston too (Weaman Street) now the uni has been built over it, Firstly age 5 I went/lived in Haseley Hall OAS then when i reached 7 i was transferred to Hunters Hill, but I do remember, we waited for teachers to do their dorm checks then ran through 'malvern' to pillow fight the 'clent' lads, Abberley had been changed to a games room around 64/65 so we had CLENT-MALVERN-CLEE in a row.
Many friendships was made in HH but no buddies, I only remember a few 'malvern dorm lads' Michael Lever, Michael Johnson, Antony Rodgers and 'clees' Boxer Boothy, Kevin Hicks.
Oh you was a scooter lad and i was a roller skater thats why we never met lol, as for sledging i bet we both were one of the 6 on that one large sled, I was not brave enough to try the 'Red Devil' solo sled. Mr Tebbutt died of heart attack at home around 1968, Mr Pinner was my class teacher i met in 1980 when he left HH he got job in 'Birmingham Central Citizens Advice Bureau' as i had appointment with him once, that was a good surprise, he was a good person. Living in HH made me independant.
David Warren

Michael, do you happen to know where Miss Staines lived? I knew someone by that name.
I do they used to tell us stories around bedtime and they shared a place in Redditch Beck was the pretty light haired one, Staines was the dark haired naughty one, she got into trouble at HH and got fired i think.
When was you there and which dorm?

Last edited:
I do they used to tell us stories around bedtime and they shared a place in Redditch Beck was the pretty light haired one, Staines was the dark haired naughty one, she got into trouble at HH and got fired i think.
When was you there and which dorm?
I never went there, the Ms Staines that I knew had light hair.

What a strange world I was born in 1954 in Aston too (Weaman Street) now the uni has been built over it, Firstly age 5 I went/lived in Haseley Hall OAS then when i reached 7 i was transferred to Hunters Hill, but I do remember, we waited for teachers to do their dorm checks then ran through 'malvern' to pillow fight the 'clent' lads, Abberley had been changed to a games room around 64/65 so we had CLENT-MALVERN-CLEE in a row.
Many friendships was made in HH but no buddies, I only remember a few 'malvern dorm lads' Michael Lever, Michael Johnson, Antony Rodgers and 'clees' Boxer Boothy, Kevin Hicks.
Oh you was a scooter lad and i was a roller skater thats why we never met lol, as for sledging i bet we both were one of the 6 on that one large sled, I was not brave enough to try the 'Red Devil' solo sled. Mr Tebbutt died of heart attack at home around 1968, Mr Pinner was my class teacher i met in 1980 when he left HH he got job in 'Birmingham Central Citizens Advice Bureau' as i had appointment with him once, that was a good surprise, he was a good person. Living in HH made me independant.
David Warren
So wonderful to hear from you David. So glad to hear that Mr Pinner had a suuccessful career after HH, but sad to hear of Mr Tebbutt. I bet you remember Mr Powell, who had his home near the block, for the seniors. I remember the pillow fights, & got caught a few times, though not punished. My favourite sledge was the red one. It was said to be the fastest.

hi looking for info on cropwood open air school from 1969 to 1981 from photos to teachers house mothers i know cropwood and hunters did merge but both are now closed they gonna tear cropwood down and build 400 houses on the grounds any info would be gratefully received

Back