• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Open Air Schools - Cropwood, Hunter's Hill, Marsh Hill and Skilts (excl. Haseley Hall and Uffculme)

I went to Cropwood for only 6 weeks having went there half way through a term , I did not go back, also back in 1962 I went to one called Baskerville in Harbourne Birmingham for 14 months

marketman1956
I understand that there were six Birmingham Open Air Schools opened after 1911 and dedicated to the care of sick Birmingham children: Cropwood, Haseley Hall, Hunter's Hill, Marsh Hill, Skilts and Uffculme.

Of these, the following have individual threads within this Forum:

Cropwood, including a bit about Hunter's Hill – (this thread)

Haseley Hall –
Uffculme –
I'm going to amend the title of this thread to include the four amongst the above which aren't properly represented on the Forum at present. Let's hope that it will ecourage members with experience of those places to contribute to this thread. (Not least you about Hunter' Hill!)

To everyone who reads this thread, I should just like to say, as someone who as a child suffered neither ill health nor being wrenched from my family at an early age to deal with it, that I find it difficult to imagine just how dreadful the experience must have been. It's probably not surprising that the memories I have read range from the very positive to the very negative. Anyone, but most especially those with unhappy memories, should really read the book on this subject which has been mentioned before. It might put their experiences into the context of what was going on, what had to be done to make the places work and be effective, what was achieved and how the memory of other pupils matched up (or didn't match up) with their own.

The book is "A Breath of Fresh Air" written by Frances Wilmot (née Headford, ex-Cropwood) and Pauline Saul (née Brueton) ex-Uffculme), published by Phillimore & Co. Ltd., 1998, ISBN 1 86077 075 4. Very well written and presented and full of memoirs (including one from Miss U. at Cropwood), names, extracts from the establishments' logbooks, photographs and so on. It's no doubt out of print now and it does appear to be difficult to pick up second hand. But it's sure to be available in the Central Library, at the very least. Worth the effort tracking it down

Chris
Thank you Chris. Will certainly be trying to obtain a copy, as I am a former pupil of HHOAS.

Hi michaelwicks there was another Open air school in Brum, called Baskerville in Harborne the big old house was beautiful , John Baskerville a big noise of Brum had the big house built for himself and family, john Baskerville was murdered there by a burglar who broke in.. The house was given over to Birmingham council who turned it into a open air school for sick children mainly from the back to backs of Brum including me I was there 14 months. By the early 1970.s it was turned into a house for boys who was sent there for crimes they had committed, the house got burnt down such a shame it was a lovely building, Baskerville is a centre now for children with disabilities.

Thanks, Chrisange51.

For anyone interested in Baskerville, there is a lengthy thread elsewhere in the Forum and containing a number of images, here:
Chris

Thanks, Chrisange51.

For anyone interested in Baskerville, there is a lengthy thread elsewhere in the Forum and containing a number of images, here:
Chris

Hi michaelwicks there was another Open air school in Brum, called Baskerville in Harborne the big old house was beautiful , John Baskerville a big noise of Brum had the big house built for himself and family, john Baskerville was murdered there by a burglar who broke in.. The house was given over to Birmingham council who turned it into a open air school for sick children mainly from the back to backs of Brum including me I was there 14 months. By the early 1970.s it was turned into a house for boys who was sent there for crimes they had committed, the house got burnt down such a shame it was a lovely building, Baskerville is a centre now for children with disabilities.
hi chris as far as i am aware john baskerville was not murdered always assuming you are talking about the john baskerville who invented the typeface for printing and had baskerville house in the city centre named after him...maybe for the sake of history a bit of research is needed...

in the meantime here is a photo dated 1920 of baskerville house in harborne

lyn

Harborne Court Oak Rd Baskerville House c1920 ioe.JPG

hi chris as far as i am aware john baskerville was not murdered always assuming you are talking about the john baskerville who invented the typeface for printing and had baskerville house in the city centre named after him...maybe for the sake of history a bit of research is needed...

in the meantime here is a photo dated 1920 of baskerville house in harborne

lyn

View attachment 157188
Wow. What a fantastic photo Lyn. I had heard of Baskerville House but did not know where it was or had ever seen it until now. Thank you so much for sharing this. Having just read up about John Baskerville. You are correct Lyn. There is no mention of him being murdered. He died at the age of 69, (also the same age as his wife: Sarah).

Last edited:
Hi Chris, I went to Cropwood from April 64 to April 67. I have wonderful memories and have always wanted to write my own book about my experience living there.
I can relate to many of the stories and I actually believe I knew Susan Jones and I remember her best friend was Collete Sewell. They both had a rigorous bedtime ritual which I remember but won't go into detail.
I remember at least twenty girls by name and some by number, yes we had a number mine was 21 and I remember number 1 was a girl called Annette Wall.
The dark cloud at school was Miss Urquhart, who was indeed a regimental headmistress and I received six of the best for a small misdemeanor, with my house slipper, which was a crepe soled leather sandal.
As you can see I could go on but if anyone would like to make contact I would love to share memories of my life at Cropwood.
Thank you Susan Ferriday nee Hickman.
Hi Susan. I've been writing a eulogy for my sisters funeral and found this site. Christine Thompson was at Cropwood around the same time as yourself. Do you know the name?

Hi Susan. I've been writing a eulogy for my sisters funeral and found this site. Christine Thompson was at Cropwood around the same time as yourself. Do you know the name?
Hi Pete, read your article about your sister Christine... condolences by the way.
I too was there at the same time as your sister..I often find names can slip from memory..but pictures can re-awaken them.

My mother Mary Megan Gatley completed her one year emergency training at Caertrefle, North Wales. She then was employed at Cropwood Open Air School, and I, as a 6 year old went with her (I was the healthiest child there!). Our home town was Chester, so after a year at Cropwood we moved home. Whilst mum had been training, my grandmother had cared for me and my brother went to Merton House Penmaenmawr. Then my grandmother cared for my brother for a year until we were all together again. I recognise some of the name in various posts, but not any of the "inmates", I do remember the dormitories, wide open french windows even in winter, and of course the food was awful. Having a mother as a member of staff, I was able to see the (literally) delicious meals cooked up for them. I also remember our afternoon naps on the hard playground. Good training? I'm still around and healthy at 75

Jen Walkington

My mother Mary Megan Gatley completed her one year emergency training at Caertrefle, North Wales. She then was employed at Cropwood Open Air School, and I, as a 6 year old went with her (I was the healthiest child there!). Our home town was Chester, so after a year at Cropwood we moved home. Whilst mum had been training, my grandmother had cared for me and my brother went to Merton House Penmaenmawr. Then my grandmother cared for my brother for a year until we were all together again. I recognise some of the name in various posts, but not any of the "inmates", I do remember the dormitories, wide open french windows even in winter, and of course the food was awful. Having a mother as a member of staff, I was able to see the (literally) delicious meals cooked up for them. I also remember our afternoon naps on the hard playground. Good training? I'm still around and healthy at 75

Jen Walkington
Hi Jennifer I remember you and your Mother from the time I was at Cropwood.I have been in touch with Brenda Copestake (Now Harris who now lives in Canada) do you remember Margaret Walton, Twins Joyce & Joan Rowan or Gwen Cleaver. It is nice to to see we are still around after all these years & healthy I am 81

Yes I was at Cropwood for 1 year aged about 8 I think, so that would have been round 1960 Miss Urquart was the Head Mistress and Miss Addis was a nurse there I think, I am not clear of her role. I slept in Extension, I hated it at first and ran away on the same day as another girl called Ann did the same, we both got returned to the school and made to stand up in Assembly while the Head told everyone what we did. I have lots more to tell if anyone is interested
Hi Lorraine, I'd love to hear more about your time at Cropwood. I'm a journalist at ITV Central News and am hoping to do a short feature on some of the Open Air schools in the Midlands for our regional news programme. Would you be happy to have a chat?
Jane

Hi Lorraine, I'd love to hear more about your time at Cropwood. I'm a journalist at ITV Central News and am hoping to do a short feature on some of the Open Air schools in the Midlands for our regional news programme. Would you be happy to have a chat?
Jane
Jano.I was at Hunters Hill, just across the road from Cropwood, & had a similar experience when I first went ther in 1965. I ran away twice, as I did not like it, but after sitting down for a proper chat with our head teacher, (Miss Buckley), I started to like it, though got bullied a lot.

Hi again,

My experience at Hunters Hill led me to vow that no matter how wealthy I became no child of mine would be submitted to a 'Tom Brown's Schooldays' type of life at a boarding school.

I recall that the weekly shower included mandatory use of Durbac soap on our hair. Matron, a thin rather strict woman, or Sister, a plump pleasant lady, oversaw the showers. On Sundays we were issued with grey shorts and black jackets to attend religious services - I alternated between non-conformist chapel, C of E and Catholic. The latter group was chaperoned by Matron.

There were no exams when I was there and, as a result, missed the 11+. This led the careers officer who visited Wattville Road Secondary Modern school, Handsworth, advising me I had no chance of becoming a journalist. He said the only job open to me in newspapers would be as a messenger. He persuaded me to become an electrician. I managed six months winding coils for electric motors at a company in Hockley. I quit the day my apprenticeship papers arrived.

I became of copy boy (messenger) at the tabloid Evening Despatch in Birmingham. This led to a job as a junior reporter on a weekly newspaper and, following five years service in the RAF, to sub-editor on an evening newspaper and later editorship of a weekly newspaper in the Black Country.

I guess that the personal damage I suffered at Hunters Hill did not have the adverse effects that I feared.

Regards, Lawrence
Hi again,

My experience at Hunters Hill led me to vow that no matter how wealthy I became no child of mine would be submitted to a 'Tom Brown's Schooldays' type of life at a boarding school.

I recall that the weekly shower included mandatory use of Durbac soap on our hair. Matron, a thin rather strict woman, or Sister, a plump pleasant lady, oversaw the showers. On Sundays we were issued with grey shorts and black jackets to attend religious services - I alternated between non-conformist chapel, C of E and Catholic. The latter group was chaperoned by Matron.

There were no exams when I was there and, as a result, missed the 11+. This led the careers officer who visited Wattville Road Secondary Modern school, Handsworth, advising me I had no chance of becoming a journalist. He said the only job open to me in newspapers would be as a messenger. He persuaded me to become an electrician. I managed six months winding coils for electric motors at a company in Hockley. I quit the day my apprenticeship papers arrived.

I became of copy boy (messenger) at the tabloid Evening Despatch in Birmingham. This led to a job as a junior reporter on a weekly newspaper and, following five years service in the RAF, to sub-editor on an evening newspaper and later editorship of a weekly newspaper in the Black Country.

I guess that the personal damage I suffered at Hunters Hill did not have the adverse effects that I feared.

Regards, Lawrence
Hi Lawrence. Would you be willing to talk to me about your time at Hunters Hill? I'm hoping to do a feature on Open Air schools in Birmingham for ITV Central News

the balcony looks similar but the building looks very different from the one above which is more like the one I stayed in.it was a beaautiful building and lovely surroundings but evil within. young children having to get up at 5.30 to clean their shoes strip their beds, blankets folded at the bottom all square. all before breakfas.t we were given cod liver oil tablets and if you didn't swallow them punishment, one girl was so frightened she wet herself so had to stand at the front during breakfast with her knickers on her head. at night we had to queue to have our underwear inspected it was so degrading and even though we were so young it didn't seem right. there was definatly no mothering at this school.
Hi, Would you be willing to talk to me about your time at the Open Air school? sounds dreadful! I'm a journalist at ITV Central news and am hoping to do a feature for our regional news programme about Birminghams open air schools

Back