• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham -on-sea?

ASTONITE

master brummie
Went To Brum Today They Have Turned The Fountain Into A Beach Area, Also Taking Steps To Keep The Pigeons Away

Attachments

• Chamberlain Square Beach .jpg
    Chamberlain Square Beach .jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited by a moderator:
Wouldn't have it any different Mossy, what would Motorman Mike say he would turn in his Tram

Tarran i think you will find that Barmouth is called little Birmingham,and as Alf said Weston is known as Birmingham On Sea

Mossy

Also known as Weston-Super-Mud for some reason!!
Or how about Weston-Super-Mossy?

Yes he's cleaner for a start Dave, but really I don't notice the Mud its a nice place

Year, whas goin on year then? Barmuff, Barmuff? never but tiz awright Mossy an Alf av zorted it out proper job afor I seen it. Cor me tram nearly went off the rails but now tiz drink up thee zider, for tonight we'll merry be down in old Zummerzet Birninum on Zee, thatz the one vor me. Oo arr

Last edited:
The last time I went to Weston was with the school on a day trip and I went home covered in mud and poor Patty fell over on the platform and ended up at the hospital or doctors to have splinters removed. They would not serve me in the gift shop and didn't have a pressie for me mom.
Jean.

That must have been a long time ago Jean, I don't remember wooden platforms down there. I expect they didn't serve you in the shop because you were trying to purchase some Mothers Ruin whilst under age
Mike

Kmei that was the train station platform I ain't that blooming ancient. I was too MUDDY to let in the shop. Naje.

In them days they had Wooden Legs there but Platforms, USA but Weston?

Western super mare 1956 001.jpgWestern super mare 1956 001.jpg Just found these pics from 1956 My GranDad and GranMother on left and MY Dad and Mom with GrandDad on right. Weston Super Mare! John Crump OldBrit. Parker. Co USA

Great photos John - waistcoats and bracers - they knew how to dress for the seaside in those great days !
Thanks for sharing them with us.
oldmohawk

Is it a transistor radio on the picnic table? Viv.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

In the 1930's I was taken for a holiday in Tenby (Birmingham beyond Wales, we called it). I did not see the sea again until 1946.

As a pupil at Golden Hillock Road School, we were taken, by coach, for a day in Weston Super Mare. The excitement was fantastic for all of us. A day at the sea side!
When we arrived there was no sea, just miles and miles of beach, with the sea way out on the horizon. Just before we departed Weston, later in the day, the sea had just started to come back in. I seem to remember that we had about 30 minutes for a quick paddle.

Nevertheless, it was a great day out after six years of war. I have never forgotten that experience. Eddie.

Back