• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham on Sea

HI
It must have been the one down the road across from the baths .They have a small pool,the only other camp i think has apool, is at the far end of the sea front
KEN

HI ALL
A picture of the workmen who have just started to repair the old inshore lighthouse.This is now not in use but the lower part are residentual properties.
You need a head for hieghts for this job. The lighthouse is on the road between Burnham and Brean.
KENlighthouse-work-3.jpg

Saturday 21st Sept

Attachments

• 21st September 2013 Saturday 024.jpg
    21st September 2013 Saturday 024.jpg
    390.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 21st September 2013 Saturday 030.jpg
    21st September 2013 Saturday 030.jpg
    304.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 21st September 2013 Saturday 033.jpg
    21st September 2013 Saturday 033.jpg
    277.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 21st September 2013 Saturday 040.jpg
    21st September 2013 Saturday 040.jpg
    298 KB · Views: 23
  • 21st September 2013 Saturday 042.jpg
    21st September 2013 Saturday 042.jpg
    313.7 KB · Views: 22
Does anyone remember Priscilla the swan on Burnham Pier in the 50s? Does anyone have a photo? (For the uninitiated, Priscilla was a large motorised swan that took children for rides around the pier)
Patrick

Hi Rushburn: Here is a photo of Priscilla the swan. Though on the beach and not on the pier. Our family had a caravan holiday in the
1950's at Burnham-on-Sea. I remember Priscilla but didn't have a ride on her. With three children in the family I suppose the families
holiday budget didn't run to all the things we wanted to do.
Priscilla1.jpg

Last edited:
Many thanks Jennyann. Although my grandfather had a caravan site at Brean, we used to stay at the Retreat Caravan Site at the north end of Burnham. This was more or less behind the old lighthouse on the beach.

Birnbeck Pier, The Bristol Queen

Attachments

• Birnbeck Pier The Bristol Queen .jpg
    Birnbeck Pier The Bristol Queen .jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 34
I haven't seen that one before, thanks Dave. I used to like going onto Birnbeck Pier, I think mentioned before there was a display of radios there just before it closed.
rosie.

Yesterday 15th Oct 2013, weather just right :fat:

Attachments

• 15th October 2013 Tuesday 011.jpg
    15th October 2013 Tuesday 011.jpg
    298.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 15th October 2013 Tuesday 021.jpg
    15th October 2013 Tuesday 021.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 15th October 2013 Tuesday 022.jpg
    15th October 2013 Tuesday 022.jpg
    372 KB · Views: 20
  • 15th October 2013 Tuesday  012.jpg
    15th October 2013 Tuesday 012.jpg
    302.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 15th October 2013 Tuesday  015.jpg
    15th October 2013 Tuesday 015.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 17
Circa 1949-1950, my bro and I taken outside the entrance of the Grand Pier by the resident photographer with the old harbour (fuzzy) in the background. Always stayed at the Melrose Hotel nearby, now a car park!
Rob_and_I_at_Weston_in_1950.jpg

Clearly my parents presented the ticket and collected this print at the end of the week from the hut at the end of the pier.

Eight thirty Midland Red coach from Digbeth via Cheltenham

Yesterday 29th January 2014

P1020918a.jpg

Tide out, mud in, normal for WSM

Brave souls last seen heading toward Barry Island

I only visited WSM once, there was a local RAF camp, I had a job to do, and visited it. I have to say I thought it a desolate place, but based on a winters rainy day though.paul

I only visited WSM once, there was a local RAF camp, I had a job to do, and visited it. I have to say I thought it a desolate place, but based on a winters rainy day though.paul

There was a small airfield, where the DH Comet was tested, on the outskirts of WSM. At Locking, near Worle, was an large air force base called Locking. It was a training school for radio and radar. I knew the place in 1956 and had occasion to visit it in 2002 and found it very much altered: new barrack blocks and HQ. It is closed now.

Some of the married quarter`s and the water tower are still there, other parts of the site, a lot of new houses.

Weston Super Mare has been a Holiday destination for Millions of of Brummies over the years and Its' 2 Piers were a popular spot to visit until 1994, when sadly, Birnbeck Pier was closed to the Public on H&S grounds...However, there Is now a Facebook Group called "Lets save Birnbeck Pier" who have teamed up with The National Piers Society to try and save this magnificent structure from complete ruin.
I thought that there might be a few of you out there who may be Interested In what the future holds for Birnbeck or indeed Its illustrious past.....

https://www.facebook.com/groups/letssavebirnbeck/?fref=nf

Admin, please delete this post If It breaks any Forum rules on posting links, Ta.

Bobby.

Locking also used to be the headquarters of one of the RAF Regional Bands. Most people think of the Central Band of the RAF, but there were several very good Regional Bands in addition to the usual Station Bands on the larger bases. One of my relatives was a tenor sax player in that band for many years. Of course, with all the cutbacks, I doubt if there are any Regional Bands any longer. Shame.

Maurice

Back