• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham on Sea

motorman-mike

Brum visitor who stayed.
I suspect some of you in the Forum are around my age and reckon a good many must have been down to Weston as kids and since. Coming from down that way meself, thought you might get a memory or two from these postcard pics from my childhood days. (I can find some from a bit further back for your nans and grandads as well if you want em). I like the one on the sands. The tide must have been out as usual so they touched in some waves!

DoesAny-body Still Go There As You Say TheSea Is Never In
The Only Thing I Can Ever Say About Weston, ItsGotPlenty Of Cafes And Its Got A Cracking Shopping Town ,Oh And Plenty Of Pubs And I Shall Be Going Down To Bream In The Next Couple Of Weeks Because We Have Got A Caravan On UnityFarm And The
Town Will Come Alive With The Annual Country And Western Festival And We Pop Into Western To Do Our Shopping Hopefuly I Might Spot Our Friend Mossy Out Side One Of
The Boozers Down There And Remonmiss Of A Couple Of Old Friends And Ladywood
But Getting Back To The Sea Side We Don,nt Bother - No Sand -No Sea

It was a favourite place to go for us "brummies"
made a nice change,and easy to get to.
we spent a lot of our holidays at Brean and would travel either
to Burnam-on-sea or Weston-super-mare for our bit's and bobs

I have many happy childhood memories of Burnham and Brean. As you say it must be a favourite place with Brummies. The last time I was in Brean I bumped into friends from Birmingham whom I haven't seen in 8 years!

My Dad and I used to go on day trips (Gliderways coaches Bearwood) and for a weeks holiday sometimes (by coach or train), all when I was junior school age. In those days it took half a day to get there - no motorways, the old A38, down past Bristol zoo and over the docks bridge - and a stop somewhere 'en route' for a cuppa, a sandwich and a 'p'.
We stayed in the small 'Victoria Hall Hotel' just off the front - last time I went it was still there!

Mike i live here now W S M but as a kid i had only been here twice,and as you probably know there are two tides a day, the tide down here is the second fastest rising and falling tide in the world

As well as loads of Brummies here Bristolians as well,Astonian said the town and shops are good he is right,and yes you will find me outside a boozer at week ends so when you come down Astonian P M me and we will have a tot an a good chat about Ladywood and absent friends:cool:Mossy

Last edited by a moderator:
HI MOSSY
Nice To Hear FromYou Again, And I Look forewarded To Seeing You
And Having A Beer With You , Down On Western, And Talk About The Days Gone Bye
I,M A Very Good Old Friend Of Mickys Family , I Will Not Mention Is Name On Sight
But Is Nick Name Ok, Midnight ,The Last Time I Seen You Some Forty Years Down
Mickeys With Your Missis [ Irene ] Vera,s Friend , Down Heath St Winson Green ,
I Will Let You Know Which Week Were Coming To UnityFarm Ok Best Wishes ASTONIAN ,

I do believe the coach you can just see in the very middle of the second picture in Motorman's excellent selection is a Midland Red centre-entrance touring coach, one of the batch of 25 built in 1939, reg no FHA 401-425. They were very handsome vehicles. I never saw one during the war until I got to Sandacre St garage in Leicester, although I was familiar with the earlier batch of 50 numbered CHA 950-999. They were very jazzy in appearance, I used to think.
Peter

i remember so much about Weston from the mid-sixties,my 13-16 age range. Hope I'm not too young to include any memories?:)

Peter, It's a bit small to tell but think you have found an ONC. They had one at Leicester, 2286 that because of the opening sun roof was used to carry the the Leicester City football team round the city after winning , I think, the FA Cup or something like that some years back. Included this time is a 1960's view of W-S-M for Ritchie. Spot the Midland Red in this one, you will need the old magnifying glass. I have to confess - every post card I have has a bus, a coach or a tram somewhere in it - my mum often wonders where she went wrong!
(I noticed years ago that mum is mom in Brummie).
Mike

Smashing photo,the fountain on beach lawns is still there,also on the lawns is the big clock which i believe used to be in the coach station.in the distance is the Grand Atlantic hotel,and to the left middle a Lambretta scooter model 150 L D made in about 1957 so is that about the time of the post card:DMossy

Peter, It's a bit small to tell but think you have found an ONC. They had one at Leicester, 2286 that because of the opening sun roof was used to carry the the Leicester City football team round the city after winning , I think, the FA Cup or something like that some years back. Included this time is a 1960's view of W-S-M for Ritchie. Spot the Midland Red in this one, you will need the old magnifying glass. I have to confess - every post card I have has a bus, a coach or a tram somewhere in it - my mum often wonders where she went wrong!
(I noticed years ago that mum is mom in Brummie).
Mike

Thanks,Motorman,keep 'em coming:)

Two references to Weston cinemas:
https://www.wanadoo-members.co.uk/cavalcade/weston/jpg
(This is the Odeon,which is still going.Main Locking Road commencement.Can track down many more of this cinema spread over many years,including its celebrated Wurlitzer organ)

https://www.wanadoo-members.co.uk/cavalcade/westong/jpg
(Regent Street,now demolished.Just add a number 1 after the 'westong' if you want a 1956 view).

Thanks Lloyd. Well I do have to start at 4 a.m. each morning to keep all my admirers such as my employer satisfied!:D

That's OK Richie - I hope you don't have to work through till midnight to keep him happy like I do! (And then drive 23 miles home - which is why I'm on at 1AM some days!)

Smashing photo,the fountain on beach lawns is still there,also on the lawns is the big clock which i believe used to be in the coach station.in the distance is the Grand Atlantic hotel,and to the left middle a Lambretta scooter model 150 L D made in about 1957 so is that about the time of the post card:DMossy

Glad you liked that Mossy, many of my cards I bought new but never put I a date on em so do a bit of guessing on the dates. Weston being Weston, many were still on sale years after the pic was actually took I 've got one showing a tram on the seafront that was bought 7 years after the trams were scrapped! Here is one that I would put as 1960's with a feast of motors to look at as well as the old White Funnel paddlesteamer. Sad that the Old Pier is now only a shadow of the view here.

Sad indeed that the old pier has fallen into disrepair. That's a nice view, Mike, I wonder why the bus crew (note the conductor's ticket machine and cash bag straps visible against his summer tunic) and a few people at the promenade wall are looking at? Is the lifeboat being launched - the boathouse doors are open!
A few classic cars there too, an early mini. the white Saab, a few Ford Anglia 105's and a two-tone grey Rover. Not forgetting of course the 'convertible' Bristol 'Lodekka' LD model bus - I'm sure you remember the roofs being stored on racks in the sea-front bus garage cum coach station in the summer, they were refitted in the winter so the bus could be used all year round.

Lloyd thanks for reminding me of the spare tops stacked up, saw them often. Think the winter saw these LDs as spare at WSM as I recall seeing them working locals in Bristol.
Mike

My pic this time goes back to 1950's. Who went on this? One shilling for a sail round the boating pool at the Marine Lake on the "Patrol Boat" -3 cicuits if it was quiet and two if it was busy! (Looks like it's a 3 day here). Later on this strange craft was renamed "The Childrens Cruiser" One year we went to get a ride and it wasn't there anymore. Anybody know which year please??

A view that hasn't changed much in the last 70 years. From the Sanitorium end this time. Down on the right the Birmingham Saturday Hospital Fund had until quite recently two convalecence homes as well as the big one out at Kewstoke. This view is from the early 1960's.

Back