• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Old Time Boxers Club

Berger50

proper brummie kid
Hello does anyone remember the Birmingham Old Time Boxers Club which was by the Blues ground, i went there as a kid with my Dad Percy i remember watching him have an exhibition fight there i seem to remember someone hadnt turned up and they asked him to go in the ring. Id like to fing some more info on the club and a list of members names or anything to do with the club at all . I have a couple of lapel badges (broaches) that members had that i have found in dads stuff.
Cheers. Keith Reuben

I remember my mother telling me her father James (Jim) Caldecott was involved in the organisation of boxing in West Bromwich. He was a butcher with a couple of shops one on West Bromwich high street and another in Handsworth. I should have asked more questions!

Here's a photo of him with his sons my uncles. He looks like a boxing promoter doesn't he....lol

James_Caldecott_and_Sons.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello does anyone remember the Birmingham Old Time Boxers Club which was by the Blues ground, i went there as a kid with my Dad Percy i remember watching him have an exhibition fight there i seem to remember someone hadnt turned up and they asked him to go in the ring. Id like to fing some more info on the club and a list of members names or anything to do with the club at all . I have a couple of lapel badges (broaches) that members had that i have found in dads stuff.
Cheers. Keith Reuben

Do you mean the club that was on top of the Fosters shop on Coventry Rd ?

If its any help, it had also been The Blues supporters club, and before that I think it had something to do with the Buffs, and was run by a bloke called Bernard, but still seemed to mostly have the same people in it no matter what it was called though. I,m talking about the period late 50s to late 60s. Had to go there with my parents when I was likkle.

I am not sure But my Dad and his Brother were sort of connected . My uncle tom was in it I think .. He called himself Kid Payton . His name was John Willam Payton Nicknamed Jack or even Tom . My dad played football more than anything but Uncle Tom was a boxer . BTW he nicknamed His Son Buffy who was also Johny Payton . I wonder if he was named after the illegal bookies that used to work down the alley behind the Gypsys tent ? Our Buffy was the look out :)
Any Ideas ?
Jean

Hi Keith . My Uncle Tom who has been long time dead used to Barefist fight sometimes behind the Gypsys tent and some times down Garrison lane .. this was in the late 40s 50s . I would be interest in any info you get back to you. Regards Jean . His name was KiD Payton .. John William Payton known as Jack or Tom .

Old Time Boxers.jpgHello Berger50, This may be of interest to you, the headquaters were in Regents Park rd Small Heath one of the stewarts was my husbands uncle George Bassett...this must have been in the 60's, Pat

Boke Bassett.jpg May not be very clear, but this an artical from Sunday Mercury August 1947.. bare knuckle boxer ..Boke Bassett a relative of my husband. Pat

View attachment 90479 May not be very clear, but this an artical from Sunday Mercury August 1947.. bare knuckle boxer ..Boke Bassett a relative of my husband. Pat

Hi Patb, Boke (George) Bassett (Longbottom) is my grandfather. I am Emma May Longbottom's daughter. I think your husband must be one of Uncle Georges twin boys. I was thrilled to find this reference to Boke.

Hi ,Ann sorry it's been a while but I have only just come across your post,
Would love to hear more from you
Pat

Cheers. Keith Reuben
Hi, my dad, George Hunt, was BOTBA club secretary for many years. He was a flyweight boxing champion in the fleet air arm in the '40's. The club on Coventry Road was a big part of his life. Before the Cov Rd premises, I think it used to meet at The Custard House, certainly boxing exhibition matches were held there too. Also I remember BOTBA dinner dances being held at The Swan at Yardley with the Lord Mayor of Birmingham in attendance and my mum helping to sell the raffle tickets. Dad made a speech that he had rehearsed for weeks and my brother and I had to be on best behaviour! Names like Arthur Arkwright, Wally Swift, and Bernard Watten I remember, most of the boxers had cauliflower ears and damaged noses!

Hi, my dad, George Hunt, was BOTBA club secretary for many years. He was a flyweight boxing champion in the fleet air arm in the '40's. The club on Coventry Road was a big part of his life. Before the Cov Rd premises, I think it used to meet at The Custard House, certainly boxing exhibition matches were held there too. Also I remember BOTBA dinner dances being held at The Swan at Yardley with the Lord Mayor of Birmingham in attendance and my mum helping to sell the raffle tickets. Dad made a speech that he had rehearsed for weeks and my brother and I had to be on best behaviour! Names like Arthur Arkwright, Wally Swift, and Bernard Watten I remember, most of the boxers had cauliflower ears and damaged noses!
You are correct to say that the custard house was use for boxing two names that i know are Franky Britton and Sid Sale frank used to work at Hardins and Windush bakeries

Back