• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Nightclubs of the Past - Memories

Hello Bob, I worked on the door at The Surfside Stop for a short while. My main reason for leaving was only one doorman and I had to keep going down in the lift when someone wanted to come in and worse still. I would have to go in the lift with anyone I was evicting. That was dangerous if there was more than one of them.
Hi Stitcher Do you remember much about the owners when it was the Balalaika?

I used to go to the whisky ago go club in navigation street all-nighters on Saturday nights during the week it was the west end dance floor like a diving board. The Heartbeat above the silver blades was good in its day. Another top club Le metro by snow hill station. 1965-69. Happy days.
The West End was the best dance floor in the Midlands, it had a spring to it. We Mods loved it for the crazy dances that we had come up with or copied off Ready Steady Go.

I went to the whisky ago go club Spencer Davis group where regulars on the all nighters 1965-69 memories.
I think you will find the Spencer Davis Group were there earlier than 1965 as I know at the time Stevie Winwood was only 14 and his mother would not let him travel too far as she wanted him home every night. So I would think they were appearing in 1963. I was at The Whiskey most Saturday all nighters and I was only 16 when I started going.

Last edited:
Not sure where that is. With respect to Boulton Rd or Villa Rd?
The nursery was opposite Villa Road and Monte Carlo was next door. It was my 21st when I went and someone said it’s her 21st .I got up went to the ladies to hide .It was the worst thing I could do the music played in the ladies and this voice said come out don’t be shy and I had to walk into the room with people singing Happy Birthday,

The nursery was opposite Villa Road and Monte Carlo was next door. It was my 21st when I went and someone said it’s her 21st .I got up went to the ladies to hide .It was the worst thing I could do the music played in the ladies and this voice said come out don’t be shy and I had to walk into the room with people singing Happy Birthday,
Perhaps you should have gone to the Convent.

i have also been to the monty

lyn
Yes The Monty was a drinking den ,also known as a club, owned by West Indians , but used by all especially the Irish at weekends....Sunday afternoon ... in at 3.00pm through main entrance on Soho Road, after pubs had closed... then left early evening through rear exit on to St.Micheals Hill ....all mixed together...no problems

I am a new member and have been reading this thread. maybe I am a lot older than most of you, but I remember the Bermuda in Navigtion Street. I worked there for Eddie and Frank Fewtrell in 1960/61. I was off the night of a raids and turned up the next day to find a new door being fitted because the police had attacked the other with an axe. There was a gambling room upstairs.
I also recall another illegal club , the Key Club. It was behind and above a coffee bar near the Hippodrome. I used to go to the Moat House in 1962, I saw Gerry and the Pacemakers there. Regulars were Aston Villa and Birmingham footballers, Johnny Prescott and Eddie Fewtrell. Eddie often bought me a bowl of scampi - delicious. There were also a few musicians who had just finished work at the Locarno. The Locarno singer who died in a car accident was Mavis - can't recall her last name.
Hi there, I'm new here, apologies for replying so late! You worked at the Bermuda! That's brilliant. Frank was my uncle, he was married to my dad's sister Vera who's still doing well with a million stories of the old days

Back