• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Nightclubs of the Past - Memories

Hi all does anyone remember Peppers in Erdington it was at the side of The Queens Head pub it was good there was a bloke in the Disco in a black leather jacket he would encourage the girls to have a ride on his motorbike i think his name was Ken not sure .

Yes, I used to go to the Queens / Peppers to see bands sometimes. I don't remember the guy with the motorbike though!

Hi all does anyone remember Peppers in Erdington it was at the side of The Queens Head pub it was good there was a bloke in the Disco in a black leather jacket he would encourage the girls to have a ride on his motorbike i think his name was Ken not sure .
Used to go to Peppers inErdington Thursdays and Saturdays in the mid 70s Flash the DJ cannot remember the gentleman with the motorbike though.

On the 15th May 1972, I saw Slade and Status Quo on a double bill at the Top Rank Suite in Dale End. It was an exhausting but brilliant night. I met a lovely girl there who let me borrow her check jacket. After the (very) late end of the show I walked her back to somewhere near Saltley Gate where she lived. The with no mobile phones and no social media I lost the bit of paper with her home phone number on!

Anyone go to Bogarts top of new street above bier Keller . I worked the bar there in 1971. Great rock music, and live local bands , after work around 3.00am used go and eat two mixed grills and pour pernot into my glass of milk to wash it down, until they through us out in early hours of the morning.
also tow rope cafe was an all-nighter with so many crazy people after the clubs closed, I hung out there when I ran away from home, and just had the price of a cup of tea, and the lady working there turned a blind eye, when I slept on the seats.
Yes, went there in 1974 and 1975 when I was a greaser ! Great times, great days, running down New St with loads of mad bikers !

The bell was on the corner of great king street and new john street west . on the opposite corner was another pub which may have been the george and dragon ? . on the other two opposing corners was a butcher and a cafe . The bell was right next door to our house . In little king street was a club which our dad used to take us to on a saturday or sunday night . i recall vividly that if we went on a sunday night , our mom always made cold lamb sandwiches , which was from the sunday dinner
Hi John, I’m taking a trip down memory lane. Any information you might have about the people who lived on Great King Street, I would love to hear about. My Grandparents owned the George & Dragon and lived there till it was knocked down. I was born in the house next door.

Hi John, I’m taking a trip down memory lane. Any information you might have about the people who lived on Great King Street, I would love to hear about. My Grandparents owned the George & Dragon and lived there till it was knocked down. I was born in the house next door.
Now the George & Dragon, i frequented there for awhile with a few

kicking over the traces.. many years ago maybe late 60's I remember a club located on the right hand side of the Parade
(facing toward Colmore Row) that abutted the canal, and kinda had a hazy recollection of seeing Millie " My Boy Lollipop" Small singing there..anyone else remember this place ?

Didn't the Beatles actually play at the Plaza, Rookery Road ?
Yes. I went to see the Beatles at the Plaza. I can also remember going to a club near Small Heath Park where the no.8 bus crossed Coventry Rd. can't remember the name but we saw Dave Clark Five and Gerry Marsden there. I also sold programmes at the Town Hall for concerts such as The Who, Simon & Garfunkle.

Yes, went there in 1974 and 1975 when I was a greaser ! Great times, great days, running down New St with loads of mad bikers !
Bogarts one of my fav pubs ,mainly on a Sunday night or a Saturday before on to Samantha’s over the silver blades ,many happy hours spelt a bit inebriated in there ! Rebbecas barbarelas opposite lock ,rum runner polyannas ,sloopys ,lacarno but a few but best nights at Samantha’s ,great music great friends ,those where the days .Many hours spent at ice blades with my speed skates until booze was more important

Yes. I went to see the Beatles at the Plaza. I can also remember going to a club near Small Heath Park where the no.8 bus crossed Coventry Rd. can't remember the name but we saw Dave Clark Five and Gerry Marsden there. I also sold programmes at the Town Hall for concerts such as The Who, Simon & Garfunkle.
I was a bit to young for the plaza but remember my sister going to see cliff richard dressed in her stilletoes and beehive hairdo and flared skirt and thick belt ,funny what you remember from a young age !

Well this has brought some memories back for me - as a 17/18 year old It was "up the town" every friday saturday and sunday night (if I had any money left).

Would start off at the costermonger, then down to the Tavern in the Town,
round the corner to the Guilded Cage, then off to the Parasol or the Grapes,
then .. slowing down all the time ! ... the Parisian and last but by no means least Sloopys !

I also remember Bloomers at the Swan Yardley, usually there on a Thursday night about once every couple of months, I met my Husband there.

Other places were Rebeccas and Barbarellas , Locarno, Top Rank , Cedar Club,
Elbow Room, oh the list is endless ..... ah the good old days !!:):):):):):)
Hi Dianne did you go uptown with Evonne . Raz

Hi

I'm sorry to challenge. Mothers was in Erdington High street, whereas Henrys was in the Biringham city, Hill S
I think the blues club you're referring to is "Henry's." Black Sabbath played there to a record audience- not exactly blues, but a Birmingham legend nonetheless!
Yep that correct Henrys did start at the Crown in Hill street and yes Black Sabbath did play there numerous times however in the early years Sabbath were a blues band

ALSO DOES ANYONE REMEMBER PJs IN BRANSTONE ST HOCKLEY.

Yes, knew it well, do you have any idea what happened to Peter who owned it.
[/QUOTE]
It later went to Branson’s and was rave club Fridays was crunch Saturday was wobble from 10.30pm till 7am amazing if you never went here you never lived

I don't know whether you'd call "Mothers" in Erdington High Street a nightclub. I used to go there in the 1960s. John Peel would DJ and introduce groups like Canned Heat, the original Fleetwood Mac and Tyranasaurus Rex.

The club was above some shops and would get so packed the condensation poured down the matt black walls.

I can also remember my Mom telling me off for going to a Blues club above the pub at the corner of Station Street and Hill Street. I never thought to ask her how she knew it was frequented by "Ladies of the Night" (I think the term my mother actually used was "Old Tails").
WENT TO MOTHERS WED S AND SUNDAYS SAW ALL SORTS THERE THE WHO ,SOFT MACHINE,PINK FLOYD.EDGAR BROUGHTON BAND ETC.I LIED ABOUT MY AGE TO GET IN I FIRST WENT THERE TO SEE JOHN MAYALL I WAS 15 YRS OLD BY MYSELF.SAW CANNED HEAT AT A CLUB OVER THE BULLS HEAD PUB WHERE BANDS ALSO CAME I LIED TO GO IN THERE TOO.ALSO WENT TO THE CLUB OVER THE PUB CORNER OF HILL STREET WAS IT CALLED HENRYS BLUES HOUSE?

Back