• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Nightclubs of the Past - Memories

Mine was Barbarellas..I was a Member in the 70's.
I saw Hot Chocolate there, plus old Raymond Frogatt used to be on a lot..(whatever happened to him)?
It was in Barbarellas I met a girl sitting on her own..I tapped her on the back and when she turned round I KNEW why she was on her own...she had a mouth so wide that when she smiled she got lipstick on her ears and she was the only girl I've ever met with one eyebrow..actually, it looked more like a John Mcenroe sweatband..man was she hairy..
She could also teach a limpet a few things about clinging on ...I couldn't get rid of her..
Good days though.
i saw froggie quite a few times he still performs and still sounds as good now you can see him on you tube

I was a regular at the Top Rank on Tuesday night.. some names from them nights are Karen Addis (my then girlfriend) Anne her friend..Alfie Morris and Colin Gibson. Danced to all the tunes at the time.. Tiger Feet..Nutbush..Jimmy Helms...great memories of a long gone time.
And a Burger on the bus on the way home to Handsworth.
Maybe one day they will do a 74 memorial night... Ta for the messages..brought back a lot of good memories.. if anyone recognises any names ..get in touch. Thanks.

Oop - apologies Dennis! I must have missed that. Maybe we bumped into each other once or twice hee hee!

I must have seen Johnpress's dad a few times as well. Funny how some telephone numbers stick in your head John. I can still remember our old phone number in Handsworth when I was growing up - NOR 0769.

Judy
Where didnyou live Judy? I lived on Booth Street.

This is for Williamstreeter! Bermuda Club card from late 50s.

Jayell going through some old posts I noticed your post marked for my attention , this club was the start of the Fewtrell club empire according to his book this is where he fronted the Krays . Telling them he had seven brothers why would he need protection , needless to say they went away

Does anyone remember Shardal Casting Ltd, Lower Trinity St. I worked there from 1973 to 2005. Also, does anyone remember J.Standley, brass founders Lombard St. Just one man Joe and his helper making horse brasses. A blue nose. Sold him Heavy Brass scape from Shardal

I very vaguely remember going there. Think it was the seventies. Seem to recall a turnstile type entrance. I worked from 73 to 2005 in Lower Trinity St.
I remember their was a Daddy Long Legs Club by the flyover in the Seventies but based on the stories I heard about the place I never had the nerve to go there.
Speaking of strange clubs...I worked at Newman Tonks in the Seventies and I recall after a strike meeting (I think it was late 1978) we went for a drink at The Crown in Corporation St opposite the Law Courts. Somehow we ended up in a 'club' called The Talk of the Town in Stratford Road at around 3.00pm after the pubs had closed (no long opening hours in those days) in the afternoon. To get in the club you signed a book and was allowed entry, I think I signed the book, 'Batman'.
It was that awful it aspired to be seedy.

I remember their was a Daddy Long Legs Club by the flyover in the Seventies but based on the stories I heard about the place I never had the nerve to go there.
Speaking of strange clubs...I worked at Newman Tonks in the Seventies and I recall after a strike meeting (I think it was late 1978) we went for a drink at The Crown in Corporation St opposite the Law Courts. Somehow we ended up in a 'club' called The Talk of the Town in Stratford Road at around 3.00pm after the pubs had closed (no long opening hours in those days) in the afternoon. To get in the club you signed a book and was allowed entry, I think I signed the book, 'Batman'.
It was that awful it aspired to be seedy.
Barr Beacon. I too remember it as The Daddy Long Legs club. Spent many friday & saturday nights there. Never went there when it was The Dolls Club. I always use to sit in a dark corner all night.

I don't know whether you'd call "Mothers" in Erdington High Street a nightclub. I used to go there in the 1960s. John Peel would DJ and introduce groups like Canned Heat, the original Fleetwood Mac and Tyranasaurus Rex.

The club was above some shops and would get so packed the condensation poured down the matt black walls.

I can also remember my Mom telling me off for going to a Blues club above the pub at the corner of Station Street and Hill Street. I never thought to ask her how she knew it was frequented by "Ladies of the Night" (I think the term my mother actually used was "Old Tails").
Henry’s blues bar is what it was called above the Crown Pub.

Anyone go to Bogarts top of new street above bier Keller . I worked the bar there in 1971. Great rock music, and live local bands , after work around 3.00am used go and eat two mixed grills and pour pernot into my glass of milk to wash it down, until they through us out in early hours of the morning.
also tow rope cafe was an all-nighter with so many crazy people after the clubs closed, I hung out there when I ran away from home, and just had the price of a cup of tea, and the lady working there turned a blind eye, when I slept on the seats.

I don't know whether you'd call "Mothers" in Erdington High Street a nightclub. I used to go there in the 1960s. John Peel would DJ and introduce groups like Canned Heat, the original Fleetwood Mac and Tyranasaurus Rex.

The club was above some shops and would get so packed the condensation poured down the matt black walls.

I can also remember my Mom telling me off for going to a Blues club above the pub at the corner of Station Street and Hill Street. I never thought to ask her how she knew it was frequented by "Ladies of the Night" (I think the term my mother actually used was "Old Tails").
Mothers_Led Zeppelin.jpg

Anyone go to Bogarts top of new street above bier Keller . I worked the bar there in 1971. Great rock music, and live local bands , after work around 3.00am used go and eat two mixed grills and pour pernot into my glass of milk to wash it down, until they through us out in early hours of the morning.
also tow rope cafe was an all-nighter with so many crazy people after the clubs closed, I hung out there when I ran away from home, and just had the price of a cup of tea, and the lady working there turned a blind eye, when I slept on the seats.
Bogart's Badge.jpg

Used to frequent Top Rank Dale End Saturday nights. Went to the Radio 1 road show there 1976 i think with Tony Blackburn Noel Edmunds DLT and the rest sure that was on a weeknight. Barbarellas Faces Millionaires Pollyanas when they gave you a wad of free tickets. Swan Yardley Disco Sunday evening and across the road risk your life crossing the duel carraigeway to Bloomers. 70s was great.

Back