• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Nightclubs of the Past - Memories

I met my ex wife Marion (MAZ) at the Rum Runner 40 years ago this month, she was working on the reception area, taking entrance money. I got to know lots of the doormen, Albert Chapman ( I found to be a real gentle giant and a true gentleman) the twins, Sid, Ernie and so on. Great memories. I remember walking down the drive one evening and there was Albert physically throwing someone out and he stopped and wished me good evening, and then carried on.
Still see Albert, and he is still as fit as a Butcher's dog. We laugh about his adventures, when he was Road Manager for Black Sabbath. Still a big pal of Iommi's.

I recently purchased a box set of the series "Gangsters" (BBC 1976).
50 seconds into this clip they park their car in the entrance driveway to the Rum Runner... Just beyond the Range Rover the club entrance can be seen with the stairs to the office on the right.... 7:56 into the clip, a woman enters the fictional 'Del Rio' cafe which later became the Duran Fan Club Office in Broad Street!
[h=5]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVF03nRXwQY[/h]Runner Gateway 1976 02.jpg

From 3:57 to 8:02 - Great interior shot of the club in 70's trim (pre mirror-flex-palace).
He walks from the toilets up to the dancefloor, the barrels are covered in stagecloth to disguise the location!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59uFhKiCuzc

Oh that's a real shame... I haven't checked that link for a while as I now own the DVDs
So try this one... Fast forward to the 9 Minute marker... The last 24 seconds of this video clip show thw Austin Allegro driving into Broad Street and turning into the Rum Runner entrance drive!.... Hope this still works!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QT-uKkAQ3EY

Runner Gateway 1976 01.jpg

My mistake - The Firebird was in Carrs Lane - I have just found a card for it. I wonder if the Firebird became the Stagedoor as it was in the same area. There were lots of coffee bars and clubs in firetrap cellars which would never be allowed today would they?
Talking of fire-trap cellars does anybody recall the Alhambra pub under the Savoy Hotel ? that place used to get rammed .

Hi Raymond froggatt
Is now in Ireland touring the country and western venues and performing there all over Ireland for the next generation to come
There is a country and western music show showing there nights of the week. On the late night held and he is also mentionoinedthere as well
Travelling and appearing on these venues good old ray froggatt best wishes astonian

Anyone remember the DJ at the Alhambra called Dave Terrry?

Someone asked that before, either in another thread or earlier in this one.

I remember the DJ Dave Terry, not from the Alhambra though (can't quite think where) Always seemed a really nice guy.

A lot of the old places were rammed as I'm sure clubs are still today.
Cant think why we liked that ... but if it was empty then there was no atmosphere - funny really.

I remember the last song played at the Alhambra was always Eddie Holman, 'Hey There Lonely Girl'!

I remember many happy nights at the Alhambra and 'Hey There Lonely Girl' is still one of my favourite songs - I'd forgotten they used to play it.

Anyone remember Laura Dixon's? I will always remember the Ritz in Kings Heath. I was waiting to get a drink when some clattered into the back of me. I turned round to see Billy Fury gold suit and all stood there. I absolutely idolised the guy and all I could say was hello. Plonker!!

I am surprised nobody has mentioned the Le Metro in Livery Street, the girls always out numbered the men. It had a spiral staircase that lead to a bar and a sette, that was always there to sit if you pulled a bird. You could look down on the dance floor, I think it was open on about 4 days a week, it was enjoyable there, no fights, If I remember right they had a number of young ladies dancing there as well. Its downfall was it closed before 00.00. Sloopys opened up and most of the clientel went there because it was open till 02.00. any one remember the bouncer at Sloopys called Graham?

About The Rainbow Suit, Always enjoyed going there on a Saturday night, paying to put my coat in the cloakroom and then off to have a beer and go on the dance floor. I believe two brothers use to run it, unfortunately one of the brothers was killed, working on his Stacker Truck. One of the brothers had two good looking daughters and one of the daughters went out with Steve Phillips who played for BCFC then. If you came in to the dance floor there would be a couple of rows of seats stretching around the floor.
Good to relive it.

About The Rainbow Suit, any body remember Micky Field the bouncer, who played in goal for The Hare and Hounds on the Kingstanding Road, I think.

Roger

Are you talking about The Porsche Club in Regents Park Rd Small Heath? I know it was used by mainly West Indians.

No Phil it was before that one. The one I ask about was owned by Bunny Johnson as I said. I remember the Porsche and knew the owner of that as well. Chap called Von Reid.

Back