• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Nightclubs of the Past - Memories

well ploughed through all 98 pages (could have been 30 if people would read other posts first)

Silver mod the remainder of your post was not in the spirit of BHF forum so I have deleted it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, I have had to delete all our amusing replies to Silver mod as we were straying very off-topic :fat:

sorry if i rattled any cages
it was early 70s we we all early 20s out for a lads night out
couldn't get too involved as most had wives to go home to

forgot to add the outrigger
tony reynolds who used to dj there has started again and is doing an outrigger night at the bull ring tavern sometime in march will post date when i find it

ps if anyone knows of a grab a granddad night i don't mind being first prize in the short straw contest:black_eyed:

That's very decent Silver Mod - all in the spirit of this site. I think we can all get a little out of hand from time to time. Apologies from me too. Viv.

further to my jokey remark about grab a granddad is there anywhere in brum now where you dont have to be under 30 to fit in
i do the scooter rally scene in the summer i am usually the oldest there but not by much
last time i was down broad st on a works do i just stood there thinking what am i doing here and slipped off to the tap and spile

i used to supply the meat for the garry owen club i owned the butchers shop next to creswells the shoe shop across the road from the club. they always complained that i cut their T bone steaks to thick.

yes i also visited the cavendish club and judy durham was onstage singing alone after her split with her group who's name escapes me .

Michael's uncle was the manager at The Garry Owen this was an Irish club I think. We never went there.

Grumlow Judy Duram sang with the Seekers. I think they were Australian.

HI WENDY ;
And yes my wifes uncle was the owner of the gary ; and afew more clubs
like the golden glothes and the old jig saw club ; years before the gary owen ; before he set up the gary
Garry owen later got out of control; the rest of the story you all have read it in the news papers ;
best wishes Astonian; alan;;

I remember the Rum Runner who's resident band was the Carpetbaggers and the Opposite Lock. There was a jazz type club just off Navigation street, you had to go up so stairs to get there, can't recall the name but i saw Georgie fame there. The Tower Ballroom was also a good night out, and the Plaza, I think in or about, the Winson Green area.

It was THE MONTE CARLO CLUB owned by two Cypriots Dinas and Zallus the compare was LEIGH DOUGLAS and the band was the MEL FORD SOUND .Many top stars performed there

Back