• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Nightclubs of the Past - Memories

Think my Metro membership card is still at my parents!
Mine was a different colour - pink I think - probably as I joined in 1968

Thanks for sorting that out, I don't know where I got it and I did not think it had nightclub connections.

Yes it was the Nightingale Club. I wasn't a membner !!!

Hi,

Not quite sure what this post is in response to, but as the Nightingale Club is mentioned, does
anyone remember little Stan Smith, who was a barman there in the 1980s. Like Roger, I was never a
member, but I worked with Stan in West Bromwich , and he was one of the nicest people I have
ever known. I believe he died in the late 90's

Kind regards

Dave

Barbrarellas oozle street just of broad street was a amazing place to dance your youth away
plus see some great bands spent many a happy night , then getting the 64 night bus home

Bermuda Club, Cedar Club, The Moat House - used to visit the Moat House after chucking out time at the Locarno. Bermuda club great nights there especially if Prescott won a fight used to see Dougan the footballer there too.

Last edited:
Cleetie! I wonder if we knew each other? You used to go to the same clubs I did - well apart from The Cedar Club which I can't recall visiting. Where was that one? I used to visit The Bermuda regularly back at the end of the 50s, and then in the early 60's it was The Moat House straight after the Locarno. John was a good friend and I used to go out with Derek who was his pal. John used to go out with my best friend.

Judy

I remember some of the clubs from late 60's early 70's . The Lacarno was the one i went to most, but i also frequented Barbarells, Tower ballroom, I also remember going to a dance hall near or under the Rotunder can't remember what it was called, and a club on the opposite side of Broad St, from Barbarells near the canals, i think it was called the Lock but again i can't remember. We had some fun, dressing up in our new fashions ( hot Pants, Cat suits etc.). Saw lots of famous groups, The Drifters, Edwin Starr, and their was a boxer who sang in a group, i think it was Joe Frasier. Supremes and Laby Sifry (no idea if i spelt that right.) and lots more.

I think your right Jimbo, it was the opposite lock. They wouldn't let me in once, said i was too young (probably was), so i went to the back of the queue, they didn't recognize me the second time so i got in.

I remember some of the clubs from late 60's early 70's . The Lacarno was the one i went to most, but i also frequented Barbarells, Tower ballroom, I also remember going to a dance hall near or under the Rotunder can't remember what it was called, and a club on the opposite side of Broad St, from Barbarells near the canals, i think it was called the Lock but again i can't remember. We had some fun, dressing up in our new fashions ( hot Pants, Cat suits etc.). Saw lots of famous groups, The Drifters, Edwin Starr, and their was a boxer who sang in a group, i think it was Joe Frasier. Supremes and Laby Sifry (no idea if i spelt that right.) and lots more.

Could it have been the Rainbow above the Co-Op ?

11753_10200404053921174_1267568881_n.jpg Nice pic of the locarno, The opposite lock, Broad St and the Rum Runner

remember working there once. there was a big function for the politicians and i was waitress. bumped into one of the band members on the stairs, he did'nt look too happy. i remember brightly lit stairs and mirrors everywhere. it was certainly posher than the lacarno.

My wife of fifty years, a YANKEE yet, loves to keep diaries of the trips that we have taken over the years, I was looking through one and found this note. 7 May 1969 "At 8.30pm went over to my sisters house (Joans) then went out for dinner at a private club called the DOUBLE LOCK! owned by a RACE DRIVER really neat NITE (Yankee!) club danced and got home at 2.30am! Oh to be young again, I was 36 yrs old then. But I think my dear wife got the name of the club mixed up a bit I think it was the OPPOSITE LOCK by a canal. Happy days happy trip to visit all the relatives. John Crump OldREALOLDBrit, Parker, SNOWY Colorado USA

We loved going to The Cresta and we saw Tommy Cooper, Dave Allan, Gene Pitney, Freddy Star, David Whitfield........and others I can't remember.:)
Max Bygraves, Long John Baldry, Guy Mitchell, The Bachelors, Worzels, Paul Melba, Jimmy Logan,

Max Bygraves, Long John Baldry, Guy Mitchell, The Bachelors, Worzels, Paul Melba, Jimmy Logan,

I celebrated my 18th Birthday at the Cresta and the compare got me up on the stage I was so embarrassed!! I have a photo somewhere will have to try and find it.

So did I Wendy, Lenny the Lion was on, I went out the room before they could call me on stage. I saw Roger Whitaker there to.

Re: Birmingham Nighclubs of the Past- Memories

i was at the opening of the ceder club and i knew all the fewtrell brothers. i dont remember driving home as i was one of the catering staff and free champagne was everywhere . many years ago. i still wonder if john fewtrell is around as i worked with him for many years.

Opposite Lock was owned by Martin Hone who also owned one in Bromsgrove (I think)

Carolina, quite correct Martin Hone developed and opened 'The Engine House' at Tardebigge. It was, as the name suggests the old canal engine house to pump water back up to the top of the locks to conserve water in the reservoirs. :fat:

i worked with john fewtrell for years as a butcher. he bought a butchers in harborne but got to used to the night life at his brother eddie cedar club. the club named because of all the cedar timber decor. any idea what became of johnny fewtrell.

Back