• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Nightclubs of the Past - Memories

The Station Inn on Bristol road used to have a DJ called Irskin T (who later produced Bob Marley)

I used to go to the Station sometimes, it was a bit of a treck for me as I lived in north Birmingham. They used to have some good bands on.

I remember Erskine T from the Elbow Room and Mothers, he was a lovely guy. Sadly he died a few years ago.

I have posted this before but I will repeat it , I worked on the door at The Station with a big man named Albert. I was invited to Erskines funeral and I agree that he was a lovely man. He did work for a considerable time at The Diskery when it was in Hurst Street. I was a bouncer at The Station from the very late fifties well into the sixties.
stitcher.

Re: Birmingham Nighclubs of the Past- Memories

Saw Bo Diddley there many moons ago!!The Cedar club,that is.

I used to go to The Chesterfield Club (formerly the Bel Air) on Chester Road, Castle Bromwich. Also the BRS (British Road Services), Bromford Road/Lane. Saw Mike Berry there and various others c.1962/63. Also, the Coach and Horses in Coleshill. Wonderful days?

Here are a couple of photos from Margate 1964 - all of us on these photos attended the Locarno,. Sorry about the one picture being a bit tatty.

MARGATE2 1964.jpgMARGATE_1964.jpg

Great photo's some of those people seem sort of familier, I used the Locarno a lot even though in the army, love the big hair.
paul

Very beautiful Jayell, would't it be a small world if we had had a dance in the past, my site photo was taken in Debenham's store Birmingham in June 1964, I had big hair too.
paul

Do you remember the bags that you used to put your belongings in to deposit them into the cloakroom at the Locarno? They were made of a sort of upholstery material, black background with a multi-coloured geometric pattern. We used to - ahem - 'borrow' them to carry books to school in. In our school it was the trendy thing to do. Mmmm the things we did to look cool! Viv.

It would indeed be a small world Paul, but you never know!! Funnily enough I was only thinking about your Mom and Gran round the corner from me in Vicarage Road the other day - such a small world!

Judy

Don't think they had bags like that in my day Viv. I only remember putting my coat into the cloakroom and must have got a ticket for it. If I remember right the cloakroom was at the bottom of the entrance stairs to the left.

Judy

Think the bags were really intended for shoes. Be around 1967/8 ish. Had a couple of dresses especially for going to places like the Locarno, Top Rank Suite, Rainbow etc. Years before they would have been called cocktail dresses - they were little strappy numbers in crepe de chine with a little diamante buckle on the front. All very swish and stylish. I loved that style. This was when the Supremes were making it big. Such wonderful times. Viv.

Yes it was the Tudor Room - thanks. I worked there and forgot the name - doh. When you worked for them you had to do 2 nights over the weekend, so I did Friday and Sunday, but because you were not allowed to go there and when you left you had to wait 3 months it was hard to find somewhere else to go on a Saturday night (except The Plaza in Handsworth) . You used to get a free burger and chips and there was always someone having an after party somewhere on a Friday night.

I know at the Tower when you handed coats in you had an elastic band type to put around your wrist.

I used to go to the Plaza and the Tower as well Carolina. Our paths may have crossed many times in the past!

The blonde one - the other one was Margaret and she was a twin. I loved that time in the 60s. I can remember the Tower before it had palm trees it was a real dull grey place. The Plaza used to have ballroom dancing as well, we used to sit around the dancefloor waiting to be asked - thank goodness for the taxi quickstep.

This was when I actually worked there and taken on holiday 1965 in Jersey. As you can see no back combing - I was into the Cathy McGowan look from Ready Steady Go

Me_St_Helier_1965.jpg

Back