• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Nightclubs of the Past - Memories

I bet your still lovely Impis.
I would have been about 5 years older than you then, in fact still am!
You've got 2 fans in me and michaelwicks:D.
I agree with you Elmdon boy. Loveliness comes from within. Impis, you have definitely got 2 fans in me & Elmdon boy. We think alike.

Thanks to this forum I can finally put a name to this 'music haunt over the Co-op' which I could never remember the name of - The Rainbow Suite of course. My time there would have been c1966. Rockin' Berries were often on there ('He's In Town') but I also saw The Kinks and The Faces there. Mod hangout, all suits and floral ties, girls in long leather & suede. David Q

Where else did you frequent at that time ?

Where else did you frequent at that time ?
The Carlton in Erdington, frequently. I saw a reference to the Plaza in Rookery Road, Handsworth earlier - I seem to recall going there. There was another place by a lake which I can't for the life of me remember. I left Birmingham when I was 21 so I barely find my way round it let alone recall some of these places now. David Q

The Carlton in Erdington, frequently. I saw a reference to the Plaza in Rookery Road, Handsworth earlier - I seem to recall going there. There was another place by a lake which I can't for the life of me remember. I left Birmingham when I was 21 so I barely find my way round it let alone recall some of these places now. David Q

Was it The Chateau Impney at Droitwich , The Tower Ballroom Edgbaston ?

Anyone got any memories and information about nighclubs in Brum, from any time last century?

Some names of ones that I remember and went to...

Samanthas (was over Silver Blades ice skating rink in Hurst? St)

Pollyannas (Newhall? St.)

The Locarno (definitely Hurst St. with the Bali Hai one at the back)
I remember this band..
John Kerton fronted the successful U.K. function band Red Sun who were the resident band at the Birmingham Locarno for eight years. https://www.brumbeat.net/andicaps.htm

Just found this out
The Tower Ballroom closes its doors at the end of 2005 after more than 50 years https://www.saga.co.uk/1057fm/pages/lisEvent.asp?id=5373
went there once...

Snobs (didn't like that one much)

There was one in the same road where Bingley Hall was (can't remember what it was called..brain's not working too good lately :D) saw Herbie Hancock there...and Deaf School, and AC/DC :eek: (not my choice...just a crowd I was with at the time)

Any more? ...or any memories? :)
The one in the same road as Bingley Hall I think was Barbarellas

The one in the same road as Bingley Hall I think was Barbarellas
I do remember barbarellas, though I am the same as you, have forgotten a lot of things from those days, so just can not remember where it was. It could have been on the same street as the old Bingley Hall.

Please can someone put me out of my befuddled misery? What was the Jam House called before becoming the Jam House? Many sophisticated evenings drinking cocktails there in the 80s...maybe too many as I cannot recall it's name. Thanks in anticipation.

Back