• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Nightclubs of the Past - Memories

Hello Stitcher, Henry Bloomfield was my husband died 1979.He was diabetic with complications,succestable to infections these were not miner but major,I nursed him for 5 yrs ,he was a great tailor and buisiness man,.Henry came from London Jewish family very affluent,Russian & Polish imigrants.

Hello Sandra, where did you and Henry live.

Don't no if its been mentioned previously in this thread, but anybody remember the Penthouse Suit on Constitutional Hill. Surfside Stop coffee bar on the ground floor. You had to take a fur lined lift up to the club on the top floor. They sometimes put on all nighters, and if you were still there in the morning , you had a free breakfast. I never got mine as I never stopped all night.
Saw the group The Locomotive there in about 1966. They went on to have record success with the song Rudis in love.
Brummie band I think.
Also remember going to a short lived nightclub called The Factory in Gas Street in 1969. Think it was part of the Opposite Lock club. Probably in the same building that became Bobby Browns. Anybody remember.
I remember going to Mothers Club Erdington in 1968 to see The Who. Incredible really, The Who were a top band then with many hit records behind them.They performed many tracks from there yet to be released Tommy album. Keith Moon the drummer passed out during there set, the roadies had to revive him by throwing a bucket of water over him. The place was heaving with people. Such a small club. Access was up the fire escape by the side building.
What fabulous memories.
Other clubs I frequented in the 60s and 70s The Swan at Yardley saw Rory Gallagher and Taste, Peter Greens Fleetwood Mac, and the Kinks there.
The Belfry Wishaw, saw The Move, Moody Blues, Roxy Music and Screaming Lord Such and the Undertakers there.
There was a disco club I went to in about 1968 on the Chester Road, Castle Bromwich, anybody remember what it was called, was it Checkers.
What great times. Love to hear from others who remember these times.

I was a doorman for Mothers for a few years, it was a good place to work for. I was asked if I would do a few nights at The Penthouse suite when it first opened. I only did a few nights as well because compared to other places I had been a doorman it was a bit of a dump.

This one will test your memory; Who remebers The Marmoset Club on Gt. Hampton St/Row. It was owned and run by Henry Bloomfield. Another one was The Surfside Stop on the corner of Summer Lane and Constitution Hill, just down a bit from Red Line Private Hire and the Club Cedar in the late 50s early 60s.
I was Henry Bloomfields wife and worked at The Marmoset Club,named it after the [Marmoset Monkey] he had as a pet.

This one will test your memory; Who remebers The Marmoset Club on Gt. Hampton St/Row. It was owned and run by Henry Bloomfield. Another one was The Surfside Stop on the corner of Summer Lane and Constitution Hill, just down a bit from Red Line Private Hire and the Club Cedar in the late 50s early 60s.
Hello Sandra, where did you and Henry live.
Hello Stitcher,we lived Bristol Rd,Edgbaston am still living there sounds he was friendly with you Sandra.

Hi all there seems to be one club on here that's never been mentioned. The Mews Club in Moseley. It may have lasted 18 months in total but what was unusual was that they gave you a meat and potato pie when you paid your entrance fee in and around 1967ish.

Was that so they could open late without a proper late nightb licence. there was a place on the Hagley road that, similarly gavc you a voucher that could be exchanged for a sandwich for similar reasons.

Was that so they could open late without a proper late nightb licence. there was a place on the Hagley road that, similarly gavc you a voucher that could be exchanged for a sandwich for similar reasons.

By God I think your train of thought is correct Mike.

Barbarella's : Bands from March to May 1974....where has the time gone?

18740729_1314566231984056_3325215142141706960_n.jpg

Didn't realise they had so many rock bands on. I seem to remember it as a more middle of the road type artists and disco stuff, and having to wear collar and ties and jackets, no jeans and trainers to get in.
Wow Queen on, they soon outgrew these places.
I notice Giggy Pop coming soon, should be Iggy.
Surely the dress code was relaxed on these nights.
Can you imagine all the rock headbangers turning up in suits.

Giggy Pop!!!! Hahahaha!

Probably the person compiling the advert had no idea who he was, or else it was one of the Birmingham Mail's numerous typos!

I believe it was called the Bellaire night club. Great place but sticky worn carpets caused you to stick to the bar areas.

Don't no if its been mentioned previously in this thread, but anybody remember the Penthouse Suit on Constitutional Hill. Surfside Stop coffee bar on the ground floor. You had to take a fur lined lift up to the club on the top floor. They sometimes put on all nighters, and if you were still there in the morning , you had a free breakfast. I never got mine as I never stopped all night.
Saw the group The Locomotive there in about 1966. They went on to have record success with the song Rudis in love.
Brummie band I think.
Also remember going to a short lived nightclub called The Factory in Gas Street in 1969. Think it was part of the Opposite Lock club. Probably in the same building that became Bobby Browns. Anybody remember.
I remember going to Mothers Club Erdington in 1968 to see The Who. Incredible really, The Who were a top band then with many hit records behind them.They performed many tracks from there yet to be released Tommy album. Keith Moon the drummer passed out during there set, the roadies had to revive him by throwing a bucket of water over him. The place was heaving with people. Such a small club. Access was up the fire escape by the side building.
What fabulous memories.
Other clubs I frequented in the 60s and 70s The Swan at Yardley saw Rory Gallagher and Taste, Peter Greens Fleetwood Mac, and the Kinks there.
The Belfry Wishaw, saw The Move, Moody Blues, Roxy Music and Screaming Lord Such and the Undertakers there.
There was a disco club I went to in about 1968 on the Chester Road, Castle Bromwich, anybody remember what it was called, was it Checkers.
What great times. Love to hear from others who remember these times.

I believe it was called the Bellaire night club. Great place but sticky worn carpets caused you to stick to the bar areas.

Hello Bob, I worked on the door at The Surfside Stop for a short while. My main reason for leaving was only one doorman and I had to keep going down in the lift when someone wanted to come in and worse still. I would have to go in the lift with anyone I was evicting. That was dangerous if there was more than one of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
untitled-073.jpg

My wife and I used to frequent this club before we were married, I never saw a single incident there caused by bad behaviour.

I remember the Mackadown - went to see bands there a couple of times.
Seemed like a real trek from North Birmingham!

Does anyone remember the Aero Nightclub at Birmingham Airport? I'm looking for a man called Ivor or Ivan who used to go there.

if anyone can help oatcakes please contact her via our private message system (inbox top right of page) as this search may relate to a living person

lyn

Back