• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Newspaper Archives

spooner

master brummie
I wonder whether someone could help me with this request? My great-uncle, 10819 Alfred Ball died of his after being wounded on 10/12/1916. He is buried at Witton Cemetary. He served with 7th South Staffs Regt.

I am sure that his parents, who lived in Thimblemill Lane, Nechells, would have placed a note in the newspaper, probably with his picture, in a Birmingham newspaper, as they did with his brother, who was killed in the same year.

I am not able to get to Bham Library, and I wonder whether anyone who knows where to look could please look at the archives to see whether his Notice is available?

Spooner

Hello
if someone can help to give me ideas where to look I would have a go at searching for you.
Would need more details though as I once looked at the obituries for a relative. Not an easy task .
If you want to send more details, I will see what I can do.
Adele

Hi Spooner

Have been looking for a while now to try and help but all I have is this from a large search site, which is what you have.
Will look a little while longer for you. Good luck anyway mate.

Name:Alfred Ball
Birth Place:Birmingham
Death Date:10 Dec 1916
Death Location:Home
Enlistment Location:Birmingham
Rank private
Regiment:South Staffordshire Regiment
Battalion:7th Service Battalion
Number:10819
Type of Casualty died of wounds
Theatre of War:Home

Last edited:
Hi Adele and Sparkhill Lad

Apologies for taking so long to respond. The picture of Alfred's brother George, who was wounded in action on the Somme, appeared in the Birmingham Weekly Post, so I would think that there's a fair chance that it would be in that paper.

Incidentally, I have Alfred's death certificate, and he died in hospital in Southampton. He had gunshot wounds.

I would really appreciate it you would keep looking for me.

Spooner

Hi again
so the details we have are that he died on the 10 dec 1916. Will try and find anythink if I can. Just dont rely on me finding it though. I found the newspapers very hard work but will keep looking when I go.
The library is moving the archive and 6th floor bits down to another floor in July, not sure if I will be able to get to the collection then but will do my best.
What were his parents names and where did he live.
Adele

Hi Adele

I will confirm the date from Alfred's death certificate. I do appreciate your efforts, thank you.

Peter

Hi again Adele

Alfred ball was wounded on 29 November 1916 during movement between Beaucourt and Englebelmer. He was taken to the Military Hospital at Southampton and died on 10 December from a) pneumonia b) gun shot wound to left lung. His body was released for burial the following day. I don't know the exact date for the funeral, but it would have been within the following week I would assume. So the newspaper notice would have appeared any time after 11 December 1916 I would think the first Saturday after.

Peter

Back