• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham museum and art gallery.

My fondest memories was of the old Edwardian tea room, if I remember right it had a rather threatening and huge statue of Lucifer in the background, also enjoyed' mooching' round the shop. My favourite gallery was the wonderful pre-raphaelite collection, supposedly the best in Britiam. Eric

I like the Pre-Raphaelite Collection too, my favourite artefacts are the Egyptian mummies!
rosie.

I remember visiting the museum and art gallery when I was a child and the large statue of Lucifer stood in the entrance foyer - I found the statue rather frightening then. I also enjoyed the Pre-Raphaelite pictures and tapestries because of their realism and wonderful colours.

Hello folks...can anyone confirm that the pictures in the art gallery are actually hung at a lower level than in most other British galleries?? I was once told (or heard) that the reason was that we Brummies are much shorter in height !!!!! ( True in my case......)

Margaret.

Jacob Epstein's 'Lucifer' taken on a recent visit, my grandchildren were enthralled.20120325_246.jpg

Last edited:
Margaret (post 6) Birmingham Art galleries paintings are hung no lower or higher than any other gallery, it depends on the size of the painting and the whim of the curator, some of Monets Lily Garden paintings in the Louvre are almost at floor level due to their sheer size, whereas smaller works of art are centred round average eye level, about 5 foot. Of course if you have one hung above another, one will be below and one above eye level. I used to give a hand hanging paintings at the RBSA and other galleries and that was the method we used. Eric

Many years ago my sister in laws late Hosband worked as a guide at the Art Gallery, and he said there were nearly as many paintings stored in the basement as were on show because of lack of gallery space to display them, how true this is I do not know. Eric

Recently I visited the museum after many years (in exile). A lot has changed. Have bits actually been built on to the original building?
I couldn't work out where the the mummies used to be - I can remember a darkened gallery.

It's still a great place!

Next year, mid May until mid September, there is to be an exhibition of some of the machines and artwork by Rowland Emett. The last time I saw any of his work was in 1951 at the Festival Gardens, Battersea. London during The Festival Of Britain.

Hopefully, as this is prior notice of the event, some of the Forum Members may bookmark ths event and some, like myself, manage to find a way of making a visit.

https://www.rowlandemett.com/#

Do read his history pages: those who did not know will see his Birmingham connection, a dwelling in Tennyson Road, Small Heath.

I'm not sure if I'm remembering correctly, (happens quite a bit lately!) was there some sort of Egyptian statue in the doorway of the Great Charles Street entrance?
I do remember all those stuffed birds in glass cases that used to be up the stairway though!
rosie.

I'm not sure if I'm remembering correctly, (happens quite a bit lately!) was there some sort of?
I do remember all those stuffed birds in glass cases that used to be up the stairway though!
rosie.

Rosie, you are remembering correctly there is an Egyptian statue in the doorway of the Great Charles Street entrance, but I think all the stuffed birds, along with the stuffed birds on the top floor are now gone.

Thank you Morturn. I loved to look at all the "mummies" too, and all the other Egyptian exhibits.
rosie.

Many years ago my sister in laws late Hosband worked as a guide at the Art Gallery, and he said there were nearly as many paintings stored in the basement as were on show because of lack of gallery space to display them, how true this is I do not know. Eric
That's right cookie. When I was at Birmingham College of Art we often went across and asked to see works which we knew were in the collection. They were always happy to take us down to their enormous store rooms down stairs. They also had at least on large gallery upstairs which was closed and used as a store.

The Egyptian Gallery is empty at the moment as work is being carried out for display of the Staffordshire Hoard. It's in case vibration causes any damage. There are still some Mummies in a cabinet.
On another thread there was a query about a Mummy belonging to Cadbury's but I couldn't find out any information about one.
The Galllery about the people of Birmingham is awe inspiring! I was particularly moved by a font which was used to baptise babies born in the Workhouse, and the chair which the workhouse governors sat in while they made their decisions about who could be admitted.....I wonder if my 3xGreat Grandfather stood in front of that very Chair?!!
rosie.

The new Staffordshire Hoard Gallery - opens October 2014

From above

The floor below - location of the new gallery

A look inside

Noticed that the contents of the Buddha Gallery have been moved. To that white room space which usually has temporary exhibitions.

In it's place is the Mini Museum. A museum space for kids to enjoy and interact with.

The museum was celebrating it's 130th birthday today.

See photos on Twitter (not mine) via this hashtag #bmag130

That temporary gallery - now with religious artefacts.

These two were moved from the former Buddha Gallery

Holy books, a scroll and tablet ... (different faiths)

Hindu related objects

Due to Congreve Passage being closed (due to the Central Library demolition), pedestrian access to this end of Great Charles Street Queensway is limited. Not sure if the museum entrance down there is in use or not.

Photos from 3rd April 2016

In March 2016 I saw this on the link bridge at the museum

Superduperperspective, 2002 by Patrick Hughes

In January 2016 I noticed that they moved the David Cox bust onto the link bridge.

Also one of the Selfridges reflective discs was in the Birmingham History Galleries

Many of the objects in the Birmingham History Galleries such as the HP sign have been removed, due to vibrations from the demolition of the Central Library. So if you go in, don't expect to see any objects at the far end of that gallery.

Attachments

• P1030329 (960x1280).jpg
    P1030329 (960x1280).jpg
    554.2 KB · Views: 15
  • P1030334 (1280x960).jpg
    P1030334 (1280x960).jpg
    475.5 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
I've seen these new signs around the museum. If people notice them will they get to the gallery they are looking for?

Turning to See From Van Dyck to Lucian Freud is now open, from the 28th May to 4th September 2016.

Some photos I took there (couldn't take everything - some pictures had copyright restrictions).

Many items are on loan from the National Gallery.

Alfred Wolmark, 1913 by Henri Gaudier-Brzeska (1891 - 1915), Bronze

Self Portrait, c 1640, Sir Anthony van Dyck (1599 - 1641), Oil on canvas

Henry Marten, 1650s, Sir Peter Lely (1618 - 1680), Oil on canvas

Prosperine, 1881 - 82, Dante Gabriel Rossetti (1828 - 1882), Oil on canvas

Head of a Man wearing a Turban, around 1651, Salvator Rosa (1615 - 1673), Oil on canvas

Head of a Bearded Man, 1962, Pablo Picasso (1881 - 1973), Linocut on paper

Back