• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham museum and art gallery.

JudiM

master brummie
Ah, the old Science Museum, I used to go in with my Dad :) him being in engineering he used to look at all the old machines - I wasn't so interested at the time, I'm sure I would appreciate it all better now!
I loved the old Science Museum. Many good memories - the planes hanging from the ceiling, the steam train that moved, the mock up of the Victorian children's nursery that my mom wouldn't go near 'cos the dolls gave her nightmares....

I last went in there in the 90's & was horrified to see something I had actually used in there - the last pay on answer phone box to be decommissioned. It was the one from by the shops where I grew up! Made me feel old to think something I had used was in a museum!

Such a shame you have to pay a fortune to see any of it at the Think Tank now.

mw0njm.

Brummie Dude
I loved the old Science Museum. Many good memories - the planes hanging from the ceiling, the steam train that moved, the mock up of the Victorian children's nursery that my mom wouldn't go near 'cos the dolls gave her nightmares....

I last went in there in the 90's & was horrified to see something I had actually used in there - the last pay on answer phone box to be decommissioned. It was the one from by the shops where I grew up! Made me feel old to think something I had used was in a museum!

I loved that place too I took my grandchildren there a lot.when it was in newhall st. if i went there now i would be at home, with all the other relics.:grinning:

JudiM

master brummie
Anyone remember the massive stuffed tiger and the monster Japanese crab in their own glass cases, sceary stuff.
I don't remember the crab, but I remember a lemming in the Arctic section - in fact I made a point of pointing it out to my boyfriend at the time the once as my favourite exhibit!

I do remember the natural history section very well, it's a shame it was broken up. I know some of it got damaged as that department was in the basement & it got flooded during really bad weather, so I guess they made the decision to not reinstate it there. I know there's a bit at the Think Tank, but it's not as good (and the entrance fee is pretty steep).

ellbrown

ell brown on Flickr

Check this Thinktank thread for my photos from my 2013 and 2014 visits.

alan bartlett

master brummie
In the 50's I loved to go to the Science Museum, I would take the bus from Handsworth to Snow Hill a penny each way. I would get a shilling and the rest was mine!
No matter how many times I went there I learned something more because they rarely changed anything in those days. It was a wonderful place! I loved the machines but also John Cobbs Railton Mobile Special. As I got older I appreciated more how fast 400 mph was!

alan bartlett

master brummie
If my memory serves me, the Japanese crab was in a glass case on the wall, above a door I think. It was 60 years ago when I last visited, it all looks so modern inside now. We have to be thankfull that such a wonderfull building still survives.

Bob Johnson

master brummie
The Science Museum, Newhall St.
What a place that was. I must have spent days if not months in there either by myself, with friends or my dad.
Items I remember are:

The Railton Special.
The thing on a wire (Lamson Paragon) that zipped across the ceilings of shops carrying money to and from the cashier.
Heat engines that ran on paraffin, giving off hot fumes as they gently hissed back and forth
The Lighthouse made by Chance's of Smethwick.
A Massive display of pen nibs.
The 'Draughts' machine. I could never win.
The workings of a 'STD' telephone system. The first telephone I ever saw.
A large array of speakers. Music was played and you could select which speaker it came out of.
The bicycle wheel in a frame that you spun round like crazy and the tried to steer it. This was to demonstrate the effects of centrifugal forces.
Go to go now, me mums calling me for me tea.

mw0njm.

Brummie Dude
The Science Museum, Newhall St.
What a place that was. I must have spent days if not months in there either by myself, with friends or my dad.
Items I remember are:

The Railton Special.
The thing on a wire (Lamson Paragon) that zipped across the ceilings of shops carrying money to and from the cashier.
Heat engines that ran on paraffin, giving off hot fumes as they gently hissed back and forth
The Lighthouse made by Chance's of Smethwick.
A Massive display of pen nibs.
The 'Draughts' machine. I could never win.
The workings of a 'STD' telephone system. The first telephone I ever saw.
A large array of speakers. Music was played and you could select which speaker it came out of.
The bicycle wheel in a frame that you spun round like crazy and the tried to steer it. This was to demonstrate the effects of centrifugal forces.
Go to go now, me mums calling me for me tea.
that 'STD' telephone system fascinated me. i loved the voice that spoke when you pressed a button on the exhibits :grinning:

Morturn

Super Moderator
The Draughts' machine was a game called fox’s and rabbit. It had a counter showing machine wins and player wins. The machine score was well up on players. There was a way to win, however I have that sort of mind that picks up pattens.

When you consider the game was made out of standard relays, I imagine the sort the post office used, it was quite amazing really.