• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Municipal Bank

Think that answers it Ell. I've zoomed in and can just about make it out. The two plaques on the end are the 'Forward' and the two either side of the doors are the Municipal Bank keys. Thanks Ell. Viv.

The history of the bank, the key logo in particular;
https://www.bmbhistory.org.uk/bmb-history_198.htm

The bank has its own thread:
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/birmingham-municipal-bank.43428/

I believe I mentioned this here before, some older Birmingham tramcars had the key logo on the sliding doors between the driving cab and passenger section. As the bank, apparently the only municipal bank in the country, was formed to support the costs of WW1 I suggest it was the older cars.

Think that answers it Ell. I've zoomed in and can just about make it out. The two plaques on the end are the 'Forward' and the two either side of the doors are the Municipal Bank keys. Thanks Ell. Viv.

I took some of them in 2009 Viv

In 2013 I took these foundation stone photos

Took a new photo of the Municipal Bank from the Discovery Terrace at the Library of Birmingham. The footpath in front is blocked off for the Midland Metro extension (I think that side of Broad Street is also closed to pedestrians for the Paradise Birmingham site). The four signs are still on the building.

It is fortunate that this lovely building has escaped the wrecking ball and demolition. It seems to me to complement the Town Hall and other Municipal buildings still existing in the city centre. Not only does it look good it is unique in regards to its original purpose and should be seen a milestone in the cities history.

The Municipal Bank seen from the Worcester & Birmingham Canal, shortly before heading up the Salvage Turn Bridge to The Mailbox.

I have one of these money boxes and it was made by Wilkins and Right, a company i worked at as a polisher in 1966. The company was situated on the main road near to the West Bromwich football club, the building was pulled down sometime back and the new building was a DIY store.
Hi I have a money box but unfortunately we can’t find the key ! Do you know where I can get one ? thank you Katie
My old bank book as a child.

I had a municipal money box like the one being shown. I lived in Stotfold Road with my Mother and 2 Sisters Doris Jones nee Hill Susan and my Twin Sister Penny and me Linda Hill. We lived in the old farm house no60 from 1952 - 1964/65. Happy days with the cinema lovely shops and the pub. Moved to Henlow Road no 5 for awhile then Selly Oak and now living in Kidderminster for the last 50 years. Anybody remember us as a family ?

I have my old BMB money box from when I opened my account in Jan. 1961. It rattles with a few coppers in it and it is rather rusty and shabby. I had made the grade up to a much better job so I had about four unopened pay packets. I took the money out and proceeded to my local BMB branch to open an account. When I pushed about £40 over the counter and asked the clerk if I could open an account, he asked me where I had got the money from...…...CHARMING!

Hi Bernard,

Martins Bank Bank was owned in the early 60's by Lloyds then in the
late 60's by Barclays, they were not associated with the National
Provincial Bank which did indeed merge with the Westminster to
become the NatWest Bank. You can tell if your Natwest Branch started
life as a National Provincial branch, as the sort code will start with a 5
rather than a 6.
I remember that in the 1960s Martins had a branch in Digbeth, not far
from the coach station. The National Bank, mentioned in an earlier post
is nothing to do with any of these, and is (or perhaps was now ?) an
Irish Bank.

Kind regards